Question about Canna nutes/poting soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Hi again,

I was fixing to go buy $200. worth of fertilizer and was reading the Canna label and noticed Canna nutes are designed for Coco. I have changed from Coco to 'Scott's potting soil' and 'Scott's seed starting mix' but use the same Canna nutes.
I'll ask them at the Hydro store but does anyone here know if I should change nutes?

The coco was watered every day, {lots of extra work} and I was getting salt build up on the pots and it was costing a fortune for fertilizer. Plants were not doing well as they don't like 'wet feet'. With the Scott's I water every third day. The plants are doing better than they were and it's cheaper and easier but I noticed on the label Canna is for use with coco.

I am happy with using Canna in Scott's and the plants like it too, but for the instructions on the bottle.

Any ideas on this question?

the Poet

Hi again,

I was fixing to go buy $200. worth of fertilizer and was reading the Canna label and noticed Canna nutes are designed for Coco. I have changed from Coco to 'Scott's potting soil' and 'Scott's seed starting mix' but use the same Canna nutes.
I'll ask them at the Hydro store but does anyone here know if I should change nutes?

The coco was watered every day, {lots of extra work} and I was getting salt build up on the pots and it was costing a fortune for fertilizer. Plants were not doing well as they don't like 'wet feet'. With the Scott's I water every third day. The plants are doing better than they were and it's cheaper and easier but I noticed on the label Canna is for use with coco.

I am happy with using Canna in Scott's and the plants like it too, but for the instructions on the bottle.

Any ideas on this question?

the Poet

Canna has various lines of nutes for coco, soil, and two types of hydro, I think.

Surfer Joe,

Wow! I appreciate it! I seem to remember different Coco nutes. All I ever looked at was the Coco line. I know what to look for now.

Thanks man...

Poet

One thing to remember any time you are growing in soil; Does the soil have organic nutrients in it or is it nuted with chemical nutes like Miracle Grow or Osmocoat soil? If it is natural organic nutrients then you will want to go with organic nutrients, or allow the plants to deplete the organic nutrients then switch to chemical nutrients. With some nute brands, they say that you can mix both but I have heard mixed reviews about how well that works as many say that the chemical nutes will kill off the essential microbes that make organics work. Iff the soil is prenuted with chemical nutes then you can just stick with chemical nutes. :)

Folks,

Hi again, I forgot my own password and having luckily written it in my phone book, finally found it and 'I'm back'. I'm logged in and everything.

The first subject I would to type about is soil. I went from coco to soil for reasons explained earlier. But the soil I bought, even though it was recommended by the seed suppliers, is ground up wood, not soil but saw dust. I have sprouted seeds in it and all, seems alright but I realized the value of not only store bought seeds but store bought {at a hydro store even} soil! Like happy frog and name brand soils. I have no idea what is in there but it can't be worse than coarse ground saw dust. I have a check coming in 5-6 days and intend to buy some 'better soil'.

I may mix part of what I have with various amounts of the happy frog to thin it out as it were but not only high dollar store bought seeds but high dollar store bought soil makes sense to me now. Also using the 'Tera' canna nute's with the new soil.

I am sorry y'all, I'm from Texas.

Luck and it's good to be here.

The Poet

Soil does not have to be high dollar. I get an organic soil from Home Depot that is quite reasonably priced and is not all sawdust and bark. I use it as the base for my supersoil when I run organic. Virtually all soil can benefit from amendments, like perlite and lime. You might want to check out some soil mixtures in the organic section.

If you want to stay organic I would definitely recommend that you take a look at the organics section. You can use coco coir as the base material and then mix in all of the organic amendments. I also recommend that you get some "Cow Peat" which is a composted cow manure that is really good but needs to be mixed with a looser material like coco and pearlite. I highly recommend that you use pearlite in what ever soil you use even if it already comes with pearlite. :)

Hemp Goddess and Hushpuppy,

To the best of my understanding 'Canna' products are Organic.

I just realized that there exists an 'Organic potting soil'! I have been using soil pre-fertilised with chemical nutes and I assumed the only way to avoid mixing the 'Organic/Chemical' was to just use the soil till the chemical nutes are used up!

When the beautiful and knowledgable Hemp Goddess said: "I get an organic soil from Home Depot"; I realized that there exists an Organic potting soil! and probably right next to the Scott's and the Miracle grow at Wallyworld.
I have been using soil with chemical nutes in it and I have seen bad results mixing Maxi Grow and Canna nutes together in the same grow,
ie. vegging with one and flowering with the other = bad!
Mixing ones own soil raises the problem of PH. Using Happy Frog soil is what I was thinking about when I found out about the availability of Organic potting soil!

Hemp Goddess, please elaborate on 'Organic potting soil' and like... what does the label say as in 'brand name' so I can buy some? Sounds like just what I need. As for testing for PH, yeah I gotta learn that too.

The Scott's potting soil is not as bad as I stated earlier but does have a little loamy stuff in it. I have gardened since high school and I am amazed that I am so dumb about my new interest. There is a lot to learn and it is interesting so: 1. PH Tester.
2. Good Organic soil

And I have been checking out the Organic section for information. I am supposed to know all this stuff? Wait my gardening was always out back in the dirt and under the sun, that's different.

Thank Y'all,

The Poet

This garden is way different then your fun garden in the dirt and under the sun.

I use fox farm Happy Frog. It is organic and has enough nutes in it to last three weeks then you start with organic nutes...

If you go all organic you don't have to PH anything. Just ask away, we are here for you.

It is not as complicated as it seems. You just have to think about it this way: you will mix all of the "raw" compounds into the soil add in some beneficial microbes, and then allow them to turn all of the "raw" material into groceries for you plant. You will not be "feeding" your plant as much as just supplying all of the stuff that the microbes use to feed your plant. With this method you will not have to worry too much about pH unless your source water is waay off.

You can make up your own or buy the organic soil that is premixed and add the important stuff that MJ prefers and mix it into the organic soil that you bought. Then you will need to get some good beneficial microbes to mix into the soil as well (HD and Lowes carry a fertilizer that is totally organic that has loads of beneficial microbes in it called Espoma Garden Tone, that will supply a lot of microbes for you or you can buy Mychorrizae by itself to mix in to the soil. These will colonize your soil and begin to break down everything and make it available to the plant. The liquid nutes that you will add in on occasion is similar to the dry soil nutrients accept that it is already broken down and is at least partly available already for the plant to absorb. It seems like a lot to take in but you keep reading and it will eventually make sense. Just don't let the many different variations of methods for feeding and growing confuse you. If you are unsure about something, don't assume, ask and we will help :)

Latest posts

Back