Question on what height I might get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mokey1

Reaction score
The last grow, I grew under natural light in a greenhouse with shade cloth that was required by the majority of plants within the greenhouse. This time I'm growing totally inside. I started my seeds under a fluorescent light. Then switched over to a 200 watt cfl with a Sun Suystem 8. Once my father-in-law leaves (day after Christmas) I'll be putting them under a 600 watt MH light. They are currently on 18 hours of light and 6 hours of dark. The plants are approx. 18 inches tall and have been topped a few times. I was thinking about letting them go under the current light cycle for another month before switching over to 12 - 12. So here is the question. Is it a good idea to go another month on the current light schedule under the MH before switching over to 12 -12? Also without going into all the strains of the 6 plants how much taller can I expect them to get as I won't be topping. I'm thinking they will double in height or maybe 1 and half times as tall as they currently are. Am I correct? Height in the growing area may become an issue.

Thanks

You can veg them for as long as you like...but they won't flower till they are sexually mature...how old are they? Do they hve alternating nodes yet? What size is your grow space? You want 5000 lumens a sqr foot for flowering and 3000 for vegging...if you don't want to top anymore then maybe lst wld be a good choice for you...plants can double or even triple in height during flowering depending on strain...

Assume they will at least double.

So with this in mind if it looks like height will be an issue you could cut them back once more, give them a week or two to recover and trigger flowering. Or LST them (tie them down) and fire it up right away. I wouldn't bother waiting another month as it seems like you will be fighting them already so whats the point right? If you aren't in the containers you want to flower in I would suggest transplanting as soon as possible and firing them into 12/12

Mokey1 said:
... Also without going into all the strains of the 6 plants how much taller can I expect them to get as I won't be topping. I'm thinking they will double in height or maybe 1 and half times as tall as they currently are. Am I correct? Height in the growing area may become an issue.

Thanks

Strain is important in determining how much stretch you are going to get. Many Indicas have very little stretch and do not even double in height. Some Sativas will triple (or more) in height when put into flowering.

O.K. the strains are Blue Hash by Dina Fem, Himalaya Gold by Greenhouse, Blue Mystic by Nirvana, Northern Light by Nirvana, Arjan's Strawberry Haze by Greenhouse, and Power Plant by White Label. The lights are on so went down to get exact measurements. Most plants are in the 18 inch range not counting the pots. They were moved into their final pots about 2 weeks ago and they are approx. 3 gallon pots. I didn't want to go to big with the pots as sometimes I have to carry them upstairs in order to give them a real good watering. Some watering is done it place but I like to flush them good every week. Yes, they are showing alternate nodes, but you can't tell on most of them as I've topped them in order to get them to spread out. I've never used the MH light before so am not sure as to the heat or height I need from the plants. I'm thinking 18 inch to 24 inch of the top of the plants with the fan rotating fan blowing over them. The plants at this point are about 12 weeks old. This is all a learn as we go grow. The only spot to grow is in the partial basement. The area is in the center of the room (only available spot) and no it's not a separate grow area. And yes I'll be losing some light. So far the CFL are almost touching the plant so it hasn't been an issue. Is mylar strong enough that I can make a folding curtain of it out of 2 by 2's. It's the dark time of year here (winter) but I suppose if the plants get to big I can bring them into the greenhouse which has 50% shading for the last couple of weeks. Then carry them downstairs for the dark period. So did I answer everyone's questions?

I have ran out of space for the past week now, bending the hell outa them to keep them down any suggestions?

The Blue Mystic will stretch a lot just as they are entering flower. I can't speak for the other strains. Mylar strong enough to make a tent? It is difficult stuff to handle, works best if kept flat and wrinkle-free. You could try hanging a couple of car windshield reflector blankets, they work well.

herb: please don't hijack someone else's thread, start your own instead.

Latest posts

Back