question??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannabis037

Reality Check
Reaction score
i just started growing hydroponically and im relatively new at this. my greatest fears is algae problems. what are the probabilities of algae problems on a homemade hydro?? heres my setup. any help would be appreciated! thank you in advance.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

z184822939.jpg

Its kinda hard to tell, but it looks like your reservoir is a clear tub. Do not let any light into your reservoir. Either cover the tub with reflective duct tape, (not the grey tape), or get yourself one of those dark colored rubbermaid roughneck storage containers.

keep the tops of your medium covered to stop light penetrating ,,algae needs light and moistness to grow

the plastic container you see isn't the rez, but the rez is clear. i have read somewhere that you can add hydrogen peroxide in the rez along w/ the nutes to preven algae. is this true?? and do algae appear most of the time?? oh and how much root space is needed for whitewidows and skunks? i was planning to stick them in a 6'' diameter pots w/ hydroton after they sprout and let them grow. is this ok?? one more question how do exactly use the 3 part general hydroponic flora nutes? do i use all three in the beginning? or 2 and one for flower? thank you in advance.

I'm not 100% sure about adding hydrogen peroxide to the res to prevent algae growth. In my opinion, it would be easier and less of a headache to keep light from entering your reservoir period.

Algae WILL appear, no question, if there is light any light whatsoever in the reservoir.

As for root space, how will you be getting water to your plants? Ebb/flow? Drip system? How do you plan to set up your flowering room?

For your flora nutes use this schedule for feeding.
hXXp://www.hydroponics.net/learn/weekly_feeding_program_flora.asp

i have read somewhere that you can add hydrogen peroxide in the rez along w/ the nutes to preven algae. is this true??
Some people do that. They also sell special stuff at hydro store or online.
and do algae appear most of the time??
If you allow light to enter your reservoir or any piping you will have algae
oh and how much root space is needed for whitewidows and skunks? i was planning to stick them in a 6'' diameter pots w/ hydroton after they sprout and let them grow. is this ok??
I grow 1 plant in one 5 gallon bucket.
one more question how do exactly use the 3 part general hydroponic flora nutes? do i use all three in the beginning? or 2 and one for flower?
I use all 3 at one. GH 3 part is easy. example for veg phase...3 ml grow-2 ml micro-1ml bloom...for transition example..2ml grow-2ml micro-2ml bloom...for flowering an example might be 1ml grow.- 2 ml micro.-3 ml bloom. For finishing maybe a 0 ml grow ..- 3 ml micro and 6 ml bloom.
:) :) :)

im a dirt grower sorry..but my bubble cloners are light proof..either get a dark colored res ar as other has stated tape/paint the container..Good luck my friend and keep us posted

I use Electric tape. Makes it purtty too.:D
Bro,,just cover it where no light gets in,,its very easy. Why invite or fight the problem with clear containers and Peroxide?;)

You absolutely positively must have a container that does not let light in. I can't quite figure out how your set up is supposed to work, but you are going to have to have the rockwool covered with something (hydrotron) to prevent algae from growing on the rockwool also.

The directions on how to use the GH 3 part nutes is on the bottle. Just use about 1/2 of what they recommend unless your plants tell you they need more.

Please post all images here rather than linking to other sites.

if that plastic container isnt the res what is it im very curious to know what you are using it for?

hahaha thank you so much for the help. i'm using a drip method for veg and going to use ebb and flow method for flower. i'm going to just cover the rez with black tape. the plastic container you see is for the water that drips from the rockwool (it drains it back to the rez). if the rez is covered, will the clear plastic drain case have algae too? oo and they finally sprouted! haha

DSC_0003.JPG

You need to cover your top fam, make sure no light gets threw.

ok i finally set the drip system thank you for all the help. more questions to come soon. lol. i'll keep new photos posted.

DSC_0004.JPG

I still don't quite understand how it works, but you do not really want anything in your system exposed to light or you will have algae--rockwool, roots, drain lines, res...

it was my understanding, that the peroxide additive was for this h202 oxygen molicule that prevents root rot and promotes healthy growth,so you might end up with some real healthy algea!!! i always read all the reading for newbies at the beggining of the different threads, and there's about a hours worth of reading from some guy i think it was jj scorpio, it was just wierd, thats my initials and i got a stinger, so i remembered it, but u might look this guy up, he was pretty right on with simplistic explanations. I'm a dirt farmer, but that might help you.

The light might be the cause, probably is. I have used peroxide for years. Dont use too much. I have never had an algea problem. I think it's because of the peroxide. It will also help you from getting root problem such as: slime which is an algea. rust which is another form of growth or browning which is caused sometimes by your water being too hot. All which can cause nute lockdown. It will also add needed oxygen to the water.

okok i havent been here for couple of days. big update. 4 out of 5 of my skunks are doing well and healthy (hope they are girls!) and 5 of my female WW are doing even better! as you all know this is my first grow and i'm happy and content right now lol. hps skunk; cfl WW

asgah.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

cannabis037 said:
i just started growing hydroponically and im relatively new at this. my greatest fears is algae problems. what are the probabilities of algae problems on a homemade hydro?? heres my setup. any help would be appreciated! thank you in advance.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

ay got a question? when i start them off in the cubes do have to have the cube firm so its no moven around cuz the baskes i have them in is a lil too big should i feel the space with sum then or does it not matter

Latest posts

Back