Questions about hermaphroditism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I discovered some very tiny seeds(!) in a small bud on a lower branch of my ak-47 that wasn't getting much light. I had cut off the branch because the ugly looking bud caught my attention (it had a lot of unusually brown pistils, when the rest of the healthier looking buds on top still had mostly orange and white pistils). I'm at week 9 and going to harvest in about 2 weeks, just wondering how dangerous is it to leave this plant with a hermie branch (that has since been cut off) in the room with a few other plants that have about a week to go. I examined the rest of my plants closely and didn't notice any male flowers anywhere. Do all hermies pollinate themselves or are the seeds produced without male pollen sacs? And when I"m smoking this stuff in a few weeks time am I going to discover more seeds in my bud? Thanks

They will polinate everything in the growroom ifen yur not carefull and quick. If its the only plant,,letter go and enjoy. Get rid of any seeds.

Thanks, I was just wondering Rose - how many weeks into flowering where you when you realized it was a hermie? Earl, mid, or late flowering ?

Here's a pic I took with my microscope of the seeds I found in the bud, they are very tiny, about a quarter size of regular mj seeds.

I never found nanners on my plants but I'm going to do a closer examination today. I'm harvesting everything in a week anyway, hopefully they will not be pollinated during that time.

121125102935273581125.jpg

121125102901273547640.jpg

121125102940273586578.jpg

Your welcome. If you have seeds there was already pollen somewhere. Those look very early and green like maybe pollinated a week or so ago? My nanner happend at 6-7 weeks.
Go higher up on that plant and look for a dried pollen sack. Very small,looks like small dead matter.

Did you say there are more plants, if there are we need to panick and clean up the room...like you have never cleaned before. ha

Just a little update, the problem was worse than I expected. After close examination I noticed some of the upper buds also had these tiny immature green seeds in their calyxes (seed pods?). I pulled the hermie once I spotted this. Don't like seeded bud and I'm too lazy to make bubble hash, so It wasn't a big deal.

After doing some research I found out some plants turn hermie and produce seeds without having to start out with male flowers/pollen sacs (!). That makes sense and I think that's what happened here since my other girls in the same room look fine. They don't seem to have the seeded buds anywhere.

I'm not sure if I just made too many mistakes and stressed this plant or if it's just garbage genetics. Maybe both. Tbh I'm a bit disappointed in this strain, one phenotype had autoflower tendencies and the other always seemed to be nute deficient and slow-growing despite living in the same environmental conditions as the Nirvana white widow which look beautiful.

Is it ready to be harvested?If it is close i would. Did you tell us which plant had the nanner?

I was not aware that you could get seeds without pollen. How is that possible?

Copied from another forum discussing hermies:

Consider this Wikipedia entry on the subject:
hXXp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apomixis

Of particular interest:

"In botany, apomixis was defined by Winkler as replacement of the normal sexual reproduction by asexual reproduction, without fertilization[1]. This definition notably does not mention meiosis. Thus "normal asexual reproduction" of plants, such as propagation from cuttings or leaves, has never been considered to be apomixis, but replacement of the seed by a plantlet, or replacement of the flower by bulbils are types of apomixis. Apomictically produced offspring are genetically identical to the parent plant."

"In flowering plants, the term "apomixis" is commonly used in a restricted sense to mean agamospermy, i.e. asexual reproduction through seeds."

"Agamospermy occurs mainly in two forms: In gametophytic apomixis, the embryo arises from an unfertilized egg cell (i.e. by parthenogenesis) in a gametophyte that was produced from a cell that did not complete meiosis. In adventitious embryony (sporophytic apomixis), an embryo is formed directly (not from a gametophyte) from nucellus or integument tissue (see nucellar embryony)."

----

tl;dr : Plants can sometimes produce seeds without having been pollinated by males

Either this explains my situaiton or I just never saw the pollen sacs that are hidden away somewhere.

They can be hidden deep in the bud and you will see them at harvest.

If you have seeds, you had pollen. Nanners can be small and hard to see as they can be hidden within the buds. Marijuana does not reproduce asexually.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you have seeds, you had pollen. Nanners can be small and hard to see as they can be hidden within the buds. Marijuana does not reproduce asexually.

:yeahthat:

I have found hidden nanners deep in buds at the trimming stage. You don't always see them.

Latest posts

Back