quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighBrixMMJ

Reaction score
I am growing in a mix of 2/3 promix 1/3 coco with worm castings and lime amendments using earth juice organic nutes. is that considered soil as far as the nutrient uptake and ph charts are concerned or hydro. altho im not in a hydro system just soil less. i guess my question is which chart should i be referring to? hydro or soil?

i think the fact that you have castings and lime would lead me to believe its clasified as soil. not only that but you're also all organic so ph should be of no concern to you. you need to build up a herd for that soil, to get the most out of it. also, coco like to hold onto the mg, so a little extra mg couldn't hurt

if promix is like sunshine #4, then its a soiless mix. but ya soil

right on thanks shortbus. I am using the nute schedule that jman used in his nute study. i read in there that EJ has no ph buffers and i need to adjust ph before application. i also read elsewhere that organics buffer ph naturally. I wish jman was around to help me out. im having issues and i dont have a way to post pics. but definately looks like ph issues. yellowing leaves necrotic spotting and bumpy leaf growth. only on a few plants some look pretty green while others are getting pretty pale yellow. i am afraid that ph adjusters might harm the microbes in the soil? I do aerate the nutes for at least 48 hours before feeding and a nice pillow of foam builds on the top, however when i check ph initially its very low like 4.5. after aeration its high like 6.8 to 7. so im a little confused im at week 4 of flower and things were lookin godd til this week. i did add cal mag to my feed this week. its smelly dense and trichs everywhere and continues to advance buy now all of a sudden these issues.

HighBrixMMJ said:
right on thanks shortbus. I am using the nute schedule that jman used in his nute study. i read in there that EJ has no ph buffers and i need to adjust ph before application. i also read elsewhere that organics buffer ph naturally. I wish jman was around to help me out. im having issues and i dont have a way to post pics. but definately looks like ph issues. yellowing leaves necrotic spotting and bumpy leaf growth. only on a few plants some look pretty green while others are getting pretty pale yellow. i am afraid that ph adjusters might harm the microbes in the soil? I do aerate the nutes for at least 48 hours before feeding and a nice pillow of foam builds on the top, however when i check ph initially its very low like 4.5. after aeration its high like 6.8 to 7. so im a little confused im at week 4 of flower and things were lookin godd til this week. i did add cal mag to my feed this week. its smelly dense and trichs everywhere and continues to advance buy now all of a sudden these issues.

i'm a newby to organics, but i think the ph is controlled by the microbial herd in organic growing. which is the reason you don't need to ph anything. i have no experience with earth juice, does it have mycorrhizae in it? maybe you have a poor beneficial herd, throwing off your ph.

HighBrixMMJ said:

EJ uses organic chelates/acids that drops your pH initially. But if you have a good micro-herd everything should be ok, as once the bacteria starts munching the pH will slowly rise in your soil.

Each strain is a bit different on their food requirements, but the adding of Cal/Mg is necessary if using R/O water. Pics would be really helpful in diagnosing your problem and even then it is tough to do with 100% certainty

I am using tap water that has been bubbled for 24 hours before mixing my tea. I did add the cal mag this feeding so well see how they react. thanks for the info guys. ill try to get pics up soon.

also i am using the pro mix that already has micorrhizae in it.

It is a bit of a misnomer to say that PH isn't an issue in organics. PH is always an issue when growing MJ. The key is how it is maintained. The biggest concern though starting out is the PH of the source water. If your source water is too low or too high initially then some or a lot of the microbes could be killed off upon initial introduction to the water during tea set up, or it can cause problems between the time that the tea is made and added to the soil and the time it takes for the microbes to ballance out the PH in the soil.

If your tea setup levels off to between 6.5-6.9 and stays there then you should be having no PH issues. But if you are watering with just straight water sometimes and not watering with the tea every time then that could be wacking the microbes and/or the soil PH. I think adding some PH adjuster to bump the PH of the tea is not going to kill the microbes(maybe some) but as I said before, if you are leveling off around 6.8 then you shouldn't need to adjust. I have to adjust my tea as mine goes above 7.0 and will not come down without an adjustment.

I am thinking that you may be deficient in something due to it being a slow chelate or your micro-herd isn't strong enough for some reason. I would recommend adding additional mycho to the tea and add in a Tbs of mollasses to get them charged up. :)

THG its EJ cal mag. And thanks hushpuppy ill definately try that.

The leaves that are yellowing, are the tips pointing up?

Your pH is fine. Bacteria likes 7+ pH and fungi likes 7- pH, so you are right where you want to be with your pH with the microbes. Just depends if you have microbes. Adding a heavy chelated nutrient like EJ sends your microbes(bacteria) into a panic till they snap out of it and reestablish.

I only add lime amendments prior to cooking a batch of soil, not after.

Without pics it could be anything. From fluoride in the water to Mg deficiency, to nute lock-up, or just the natural fade.

there is flouride in our water. not much tho. I added lime when I cooked up the soil and only then. my runoff water is ph 6.6. I dont get it i am adding some zho for the microbial herd. I always use hi-brix which is molassas so hopefully they turn around after that.

ok so heres an update. I purchased some zho mycorrhizae and added that to my feed this week. seems to have stopped the yellowing and necrosis as in its not getting worse. Will those leaves stay like that or will they bounce back to green? everything seems to be getting bigger as far as buds and its really stinky and tons of trichome development so i believe im back on the right track. i also added some superthrive for stress. just two weeks to go. thanks for everyones help.

Will those leaves stay like that or will they bounce back to green?

The necrosis will stay and it may green back up or may not, but nothing to worry about if they are just the few bottom leaves.

Highbrix frops your ph to around 5. you need to adjust your PH. I grow organic and have for awhile I stopped checking my PH because I thought that because It was organic it wouldnt matter. I did plants looked like hell. Couldnt figure it out, Checked Ph was feeding the girls 4 to 5 ph water. Not good. Been checking PH this round and plants look like there suposed to. Jmo

intersting. thanks for the info rayjay. stored in the old memory banks. when you adjust for ph what do you use cuz i was under the impression that the acids in ph adjusters will kill some microbes. your thoughts?

oh and pc it is some of the upper fan leaves but none of the sugar leaves are affected. and only a couple plants did this the rest are fine. thanks for the green mojo friend!

Latest posts

Back