quick yeild question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WM420

Reaction score
How much roughly do you think i could increase my yeild on 3 plants from purchasing a 250w HPS light and using it for flowering, instead of just using the 4 floros i have been through veg?? You think it would be worth the $$$??? Thanks for the Help

I've never done a full grow with flouros.

But, from what I've seen, you will see a significant difference in yield, quality, and overall health of your plant by providing the additional lumens that a HPS gives.

But, if you don't take care of everything else, it won't matter. Somebody once said "Plant does not live on light alone"... or was that something about a man and bread? I'm not sure.....

Anyways, Happy Growing!:cool:

ofcourse you are talking about double the output in lumens here, think of it like this growing ur plant in the shade or right under the sun which one will be better? obviously under the sun. Just make sure u wont have any ventilation issues after putting that light in as the heat in your grow space will increase BY ALOT!. good luck ;)

Yeah i was a little worried about the ventilation topic too. im not to sure what i would need for proper ventilation for a light of that magnitude i have fans now but doubt that is enough.. any ideas?/

First, you should tell us how big your space is.

For 3 average indoor plants, a 400 watt bulb should be sufficient (much better than a 250 watt).

A 250 doesn't put out a whole lot of heat, nor does a 400. What are your temps running at now? Do you have access to outside or cooled air?

Ventilation in a grow of that size is really not that difficult to manage unless your ambient temps are really high to begin with.

I use a 250 watt HPS. It works great, on average I get an ounce per plant dry.

You could probably get more with using a good reflector and reflective

material surrounding the plant. I usually grow anywhere from 2 – 4 plants.

Ventilation is very easy with a small light. My tent maintains temps

between 76-79ºF with a cheap bathroom fan I got at home depot for 15 bucks.

I vent outside with an ambient room temp of 72ºF.

My grow space is 4ft wide by 2 1/2 deep and about 6ft high.. Temps now are not a problem at all, i use an 8 inch fan, and the temp hasnt ever been above 76 degrees.. There is air conditioning duct on the ceiling above the grow space that pumps in fresh air, but there isnt any air output options anywhere in the room..

IMG_0152.JPG

Hey WM420-

I'd say you need at least 400 watts in there. That's the same size space as my grow area and I use 2- 400 watt units.

I started growing with only 1- 400w and grew out 3 plants that averaged 33 grams dry weight each.

Ventilation should be no problem for you- intake low, exhaust high.

Happy growing! :cool:

WM420 said:
My grow space is 4ft wide by 2 1/2 deep and about 6ft high.. Temps now are not a problem at all, i use an 8 inch fan, and the temp hasnt ever been above 76 degrees.. There is air conditioning duct on the ceiling above the grow space that pumps in fresh air, but there isnt any air output options anywhere in the room..

Get a 600 HPS for that space, at worst a 400, it is impossible to get too much light but quite easy to not get enough...:p

Just three plants? You don't need 400W for that.
I ran about 5 plants last indoor grow on a pair of 150W. Yield was 2 oz. dry per plant. I hope to do better than that this time.

WM420 said:

For 10 sq ft, you are going to need a 400W preferably with an air cooled hood. You are also going to need some way to exhaust your space. The 400W will create substantially more heat than 4 fluoros (4 fluoros are not nearly enough to flower with), but it will also produce substantially more bud.

(Like THG just told me in a diff thread, u must have input/output and a fan somewhere in between to do all the circulation specifically CO2,) plus the fan will make ur stem thicker and stronger which will help ur nutrients get to the needed areas faster and in more quantities as the stem can withhold more.

leafminer said:
Just three plants? You don't need 400W for that.
I ran about 5 plants last indoor grow on a pair of 150W. Yield was 2 oz. dry per plant. I hope to do better than that this time.
"3" plants or "30" plants.. plant numbers have absolutely NOTHING to do with the amount of light needed. Only the space that the light will be illuminating matters.
2.5'X4'=10 sq ft.. X 5,000 Lumens(recommended optimal) =50,000 needed L'. A 400 watt hps emits 54,000 L.="perfect"....
a 150 watt hps gives off 'about' 16,000. Two is still insufficient for flowering in that "space"....
16kX2=32,ooo L or 3200 L p/sq/ft.

Thanks everyone.. I appreciate all the advice.. Im for sure gunna get at least a 400w now.. But if worst comes to worst and i cant get any exhaust output set up do you think i would still be fine heat wise???

WM420 said:
Thanks everyone.. I appreciate all the advice.. Im for sure gunna get at least a 400w now.. But if worst comes to worst and i cant get any exhaust output set up do you think i would still be fine heat wise???

No. You are absolutely going to have to have an exhaust. You really need an exhaust regardless of the type of lights you are running or the heat produced. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air to ensure that they are getting enough CO2--out with the old and in with the new.

I have a space which has the dimensions that are pretty comparable to yours, maybe a foot higher in length. I use a 400 hps for one plant in a one gallon container. I have a fan blowing over the tops of the plants which are about 6-7 inches or so from the bulb. The only ventilation I have is that fan blowing towards the open door to my boiler room. I suspect that since the boiler room in there with the pilot and all there is sufficient amounts of CO2. The temperatures arent so bad between 75-80 degrees F during the light and 60-65 when light is off.

So far so good.

gotcha hemp goddess, and thanks..and yeah omnigr33 all ive got is a fan so far and it has been doing the job ..But i forgot to mention that my growin space is at the end of a walk in closet thats about 12 or 15 ft long with and 8 ft ceiling so i feel like it has a substantial amount of fresh air flow.. and im in the dark about how i will make and exhaust path without making it look totally sketch, so if worst comes to worse im hoping a fan or two will do the trick

The trick is to intake low and exhaust high.

2 fans and you will be fine. Don't let the Hemp Goddess scare you. It's just her job.

You need to exchange the air in your space. 2 basic fans will do the job.

Happy Growing! :cool:

Latest posts

Back