Quiet Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I EAT WEED

Reaction score
I was originally using a computer fan for exhaust and it started making noise and basically failed. Without any other information, I just want to know above all, what is the quietest fan you can buy? It would be for a smaller room, but I just want to know what type and what brand makes a fan that is whisper quiet.

For quietness, nothing beats a computer fan. Was it moving the right amount of air? If so, I'd stick to the computer fan, they're cheap and effective.
Do you know why it failed? Computer fans can usually handle years and years of use, and ridiculous amounts of dust/crud.

Some noise dampening info in this other thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11804

Agreed with Bubby. Computer fans are the quietest. Try to find one with the highest cfm : lowest dba ratio you can. I found one that was 75cfm : 22dba. That's pretty darn good...22dba is VERY quiet. There was also a 130cfm : 36dba which isn't bad either. Look around and couple your fan with as much noise dampening techniques as you can. Good luck

edit: If it's a big room, you can look into investing in an acoustic fan. It's a fan that's mounted in an insulated box to reduce the noise. Also there is acoustic ducting that will help reduce noise. Visit that link that Bubby posted though.

Funnily enough i had to build a pc for a blind gentleman about a year ago. He was into recording music so the pc had to be 100 % soundproof.

The whole inside of the case was lined with acoustic padding. The power supply was ultra quiet and the processor was cooled by a flower cooler, not a fan.

If you want a quiet fan check here www.quietpc.com

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. I was looking to possibly upgrade, however with the pc fan, I'm still keeping temps in the low 80's. I dunno, just all of a sudden it started making a lot of noise. Is a pc fan really that much quieter than a squirrel cage or an inline fan like they sell in the hydro stores?

Squirrel cage and inline fans "sound like vacuum cleaners compared to computer fans". They're also quite expensive.
If one computer fan was doing ok, I'd just upgrade to a better one, or maybe two.
What size room are you growing in anyways?

I bought a 6" 200cfm computer server fan...It sounded like a dust buster vaccum when I turned it on. So I ditched it for a quieter computer fan.

i have one of those it works dawn well

Bubby said:
Squirrel cage and inline fans "sound like vacuum cleaners compared to computer fans". They're also quite expensive.
If one computer fan was doing ok, I'd just upgrade to a better one, or maybe two.
What size room are you growing in anyways?

It's 2 feet wide by 2 feet long and about 7 feet tall.

Alright, so your room is 28 cubic feet. I've read that 'optimal' air exchange is around 10 to 15 times the size of your room per hour, so for you that's 280 - 420 cubic feet an hour. Of course, we can't expect perfect airflow, but I'd say you'd be fine with just one of lazerkittens fans listed above: 75cubic feet per minute = 4500 cubic feet hour.
As far as keeping your temperature down, you'll have to experiment. Try to have the fan pushing air out at the top, and pulling air in from the bottom.

Air exchange is referring to this article: http://www.growdiary.com/marijuanacultivation/marijuanahydroponics.html
:farm:

:) :) :cool: Ok been a while since been here but here is a set up with a
Lti 150 extractor which extracts at 420cubic metres per hour.

A speed controler is needed for the winter months

the room has 2 x 6" intake ducts and the extractor is allways ******* fresh air into your room ....
This cure most heat problems the room used to have....:) :)

59613...Lti Extractor fan.jpg

71647..Temp&Hymidity....jpg

Fourway....JPG

jsw_s5000046.jpg

Latest posts

Back