R.O. systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friend-of-a-friend

Reaction score
When choosing an R.O. system, is it better for plants to use water from a system that "remineralizes" the water, or a system that doesn't?

I have a 7 stage reverse osmosis de-ionization set up.

I have never used, or even heard of, a system that "re-mineralises" the water.
That just sounds dumb. Why bother taking stuff out just to put it back?

I guess the "remineralization" process adds cal-mag back into the water, which some growers say they experience deficiency in when running R.O.(especially in coco).

Friend-of-a-friend said:
some growers say they experience deficiency in when running R.O.(especially in coco). You sound very pompous btw.

From what I know about coco is you need to run cal/mag with it no matter what.
LH

Friend-of-a-friend said:
You sound very pompous btw.

Wasn't intended that way, just don't understand why you would remove a mineral, then re-introduce it, seems overcomplicated. But, whatever.

Never heard or seen a R/O that adds minerals.

Do you have a link for this R/O?

I add cal/mg to my R/O water for my plants but not for my coffee.

I am a master plumber and I have never heard of an RO that adds minerals back to the water. This would be counterproductive. If you are going to RO your water, just add Cal-Mag with your nutes.

I, too, would be interested in the link for this as I have never heard of anything like this.

It's on Homedepot.com Pretty big chain. And bc of the World Health Organization's warning issued to the public concerning deficiencies related to drinking R.O. water, I believe they developed this system. It's the 439$ model.

I just had a simple (or so I thought) question about R.O. systems, but the responses have been very condescending in tone. This is much like a time I previously posted about the strain Deathstar, and since no one had heard of it, it was dismissed as a fallacy. I guess if you guys have never heard of it, then it's just ridiculous. I am very grateful for the info I've garnered from this site over the years, but don't think I'll be coming back after this post. The elitist attitudes don't sit well with me.

After reading the description of the product, this adds a very small amount of calcium and magnesium back to the water as a pH adjuster--it makes the water slightly alkaline to improve the taste. The amounts of cal-mag added back in is not enough for plants. In addition, since we want our water on the acidic side anyway, I don't believe that the remineralization (kind of a misnomer, more of a pH adjustment using cal and mag) is worth the extra money if you are not drinking it.

The whole point of an RO system is to get your water base as close to 0 ppm. The reason for this is so the grower knows exactly what they are adding to the water as far as nutrients down to the exact parts.

By having the "machine" add the parts back for you, you are defeating the purpose and the true reason behind using RO water in a garden.

The units at Home Depot are not meant for gardening, they are meant for human consumption. Big difference. Plus, it is way overpriced.

Look at a unit from Hydro-Logic, those are meant for gardening.

keep using logic and you'll be called pompous as well....;)

DeathStar is a clone only strain from Ohio, that some breeders just began working. Been around for years.

That R/O system is way over-priced.

Latest posts

Back