Random Curiosity Question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganesa_9

Reaction score
How long does it take an indoor plant to 'recognize' that the light schedule has been changed to 12 hours on and 12 hours off? Is it instantaneous or does the plant kinda gradually respond? Just curious.

How long does it take an indoor plant to 'recognize' that the light schedule has been changed to 12 hours on and 12 hours off? Is it instantaneous or does the plant kinda gradually respond? Just curious.
Also, does it respond more positively to sudden or gradual change in light?

the plants realize the lights have been changed when the pistils emerge, usually within a few days...that's when many "sex" their plants...I always hammer my girls, no mercy for them as I toss them into 12/12 when I see they are ready...

the plants realize the lights have been changed when the pistils emerge, usually within a few days...that's when many "sex" their plants...I always hammer my girls, no mercy for them as I toss them into 12/12 when I see they are ready...
My kinda guy. Good point! My plants love hps!

They recognize the change in light as soon as it happens.
That triggers a hormonal response that initiates the flowering cycle which takes a few days to physically express.

They recognize the change in light as soon as it happens.
That triggers a hormonal response that initiates the flowering cycle which takes a few days to physically express.
I think dogster is on the money, but my experience tells me that each cultivar responds differently to those hormones. After setting 12/12 lighting I've seen pistils begin to emerge in 3 to 8 days on average.

I think dogster is on the money, but my experience tells me that each cultivar responds differently to those hormones. After setting 12/12 lighting I've seen pistils begin to emerge in 3 to 8 days on average.
So basically, the pro-level growers like in here are forcing a 'weed' to produce beyond what it normally would be producing, by exposing it to extreme conditions that it wouldn't see growing in the wild, is that correct?

Thought about that too, if I go suddenly to 12/12, am I 'shocking' the plant?
No. There is no difference to the plant. They respond within a few days. The tops all turn a lighter green than the rest of the plant, then start stretching. Bruce bugby studied the gradual light change and found no effect. Same for the day to night change. No need to simulate sunrise or sunset.

So basically, the pro-level growers like in here are forcing a 'weed' to produce beyond what it normally would be producing, by exposing it to extreme conditions that it wouldn't see growing in the wild, is that correct?
So my opinion is that we aren't looking to replicate natural conditions. We are looking for optimal conditions.

It's all about tweaking things and helping mother nature.
For instance. Let's take a peach tree. If you keep it trimmed up and thinned out,,,you will get bigger sweeter peaches instead of a bunch of small peaches that are not as sweet.
Mother nature can't trim her trees or spray them to kill bugs that can destroy the fruit.
With weed we are just trying to get bigger sweeter fruit by helping out mother nature.😁

So my opinion is that we aren't looking to replicate natural conditions. We are looking for optimal conditions.
Plants are classified as autotrophs - they feed themselves, and yet I find that most growers fall into one of two types: 1) control freaks or 2) lazy bastards.

Control freaks follow a complex process of feeding, measuring, metering and logging. They use non traditional growing "mediums" like Coir, peat, rockwool or just water. Lazy bastards like me, just like watering the soil, so we use organics and living soil to make sure our autotroph has everything it needs.

Which category of grower do you fit into?

Plants are classified as autotrophs - they feed themselves, and yet I find that most growers fall into one of two types: 1) control freaks or 2) lazy bastards.

Control freaks follow a complex process of feeding, measuring, metering and logging. They use non traditional growing "mediums" like Coir, peat, rockwool or just water. Lazy bastards like me, just like watering the soil, so we use organics and living soil to make sure our autotroph has everything it needs.

Which category of grower do you fit into?
I'm definitely on the lazier side of that. I tend to follow the KISS theory in life, and growing will be no different, I don't think. I'm a cherry-boy at it, and I just need to find that sweet spot between personal effort and yield/potency to suit my minimal needs. An 1/8th oz of weed lasts me literally months, so I don't need 1 ounce buds - but I like sticky, skunky smoke and a good head buzz when I do smoke.

I'm still absorbing things. When I signed on here a few months ago, I had no idea the level of tech involved in growing, for but one example of my ignorance on the subject. I plan to grow indoors only, with, I think, a preference for Indica. Maybe by early next year I'll have my medium relatively determined, my grow area set up, and some bb's. (See? I'm learning the lingo! LOL)

I do greatly appreciate the vast knowledge of those here who offer their input for everyone.

Latest posts

Back