Re-cutting clones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Manny Bowles

high on my own supply
Reaction score
I just took about a dozen clones a few days ago and I think I went a little big. They are around 8" with 3 nodes each. Most of them have wilted bottom leaves, some are a little bent, but most of the tops look great and the stems are still very solid. No roots just yet.

My question is, is it ok for me to cut more of the main stem off at this point or would that just kill the clone?

edit- they are in an aero cloner if that helps

Pictures would really help...

Yes you can recut your clones to a smaller size. I always make my cuts at a 45 under water to prevent an air bubble getting trapped. Did you use cloning gel? It sounds like you may have too many leaves and/or nodes.

I recut all but 2 of 12 yesterday and decided to toss a few. The 2 I didn't cut had some sort of growth going on inside the foam things that hold them in place. I'm not sure if the growth is roots or not but looks promising...
They have been in a rooting concentrate since day 1 but I think they were just too big to start out with. I also didn't make the cuts underwater.

as long as the clone isnt to big they would have been fine. the humidity is whats important. if they get to much via the leaves pores then they will hesitate to root and can then die off or sit in a "zone" and dont do ****. the ones that were wilting could have been a good thing if the tops still looked great thats normal when they are rooting. now you got um recut leave them be with no dome and if they droop a lil but slightly mist them.

they will pop roots if they are getting good light in no time...

Maybe I should move the light a little closer then? They are under a 400mh but I've got it about 20" away or so. I thought I read somewhere that they didn't like intense light so I've been holding back.
I've also been misting pretty regularly, maybe that's a problem too?

well 20 inches from an mh is fine...you dont want to cook them. they root fater under hid lighting ime. leave them be and let them do their thing. :)

Latest posts

Back