Reasons for Ph Swing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RatherBBurnin

I read my ph its 5.5... check it later that night.. its almost 7.0... i was using a combo of ph down drops..and lemon juice to adjust.... i think i am going to swap out my solution after only 4 days... and go buy some ph down in crystal format??? any other suggestions on a possible reason for all the ph swing.. and a method to stick to... im thinking start with ph 5.5.. check every second day.. adjust if needed??? i know adjusting ph too much is bad...

What nutrients are you using? Most have PH buffers in and normal tap water should be ok. I know Gen. Hydro and Dyna-Grow have a PH buffer and I never had a need to mess with the PH.

Try high % phosphoric acid.I've used the fish tanks PHDown also but it takes alot to get a 6 unit 16gal tub down.

Well i decided that i would change out my solution and i figured i should repot the clones and bit deeper and check their root growth... I open the first DWC only to find it has mad algae in it.. and my rooms have this gross looking brown sludge at the bottom.. so i basically as careful as possible got rid of all the rockwool... then placed the roots into a new fresh rockwool cube.. by cutting down the middle... repotted them.. cleaned the tub.. replaced a broken airstone.. and we are set...

But get this.. I have ph balanced water 7.0. I add my nutes... and it shows a ph of 3.5.. so i used ph up to bring it up to 5.5... but isnt it weird that my nutes made the ph go down that far???

Also.. do you think two air stones will be suffice for a three plant little system i use to start seedlings???

Is any light getting to the rez? when ever light got to my rez, algae just went crazy on me. but as far as the PH swing, I never had to deal with it as I used PH buffered nutes. I like life easy.

I dont think any light was getting in.. but it was a lighter colored plastic rubbermaid.. so i have already switched it out for a darker one.. just incase that was the problem.. i think the problem was i got the clones in dirt,,,well the rockwool was in the dirt.. but the roots were barely through.. so some dirt might have got into the res..

Well crap... i've been gone for a bit.. but i'm back.. and better then ever.. =)

I use DNF, once i tried that brand once I was hooked.... I'm not quite sure *** the whole buffered nutes thing is. As all the hydro nutes around here have salts left and right and when added to water will drop the PH...

BBurnin, PH swings are not nute related... as water is used faster then nutes... you can expect the ph of the solution to go down... but thas just cuz there is less water...
Ph will go up.. if there is algae growth or rapid root growth... if not, then it should go down like usual as water is used up faster then the nutes.

KADE said:
I use DNF, once i tried that brand once I was hooked.... I'm not quite sure *** the whole buffered nutes thing is. As all the hydro nutes around here have salts left and right and when added to water will drop the PH...

Welcome back Kade...thought I'd put this in so its clear where I was coming from.

This invention provides pH buffered plant nutrient compositions, methods for fertilizing a plant growing or a seed germinating in a hydroponics system, methods for growing a plant in a hydroponics system, and methods for making a pH buffered plant nutrient composition. The compositions and methods of this invention are useful with distilled water, deionized water, filtered water, and United States municipal tap water. The compositions and methods of this invention are useful with most of the municipal water supplies in the United States. pH buffering agents useful in the practice of this invention include phosphate buffers, aquarium buffers, 2-[N-morpholino]ethanesulfonic acid, and mixtures thereof.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060254332.html

Gen Hydro and Dyna grow (off the top of my head) have the PH buffer already added for people like me that don't like to screw around with stuff.

Oh and BTW RatherBburnin...Kade is very very knowledgable in Hydro. ;)

So i am to assume that my nutes have a buffer added.. and because i am using bottled water.. and its mixed to lower tap water.. is the reason my ph goes from 7.0.... to 3.5 after i add my nutes???? this isnt over time.. its over the period of mixing the nutes in... and should i be adjusting it back to 5.5... ive duct taped the holes where the airline enters... i might just duct tape the sides of the bid as well just to keep it air tight... good idea or bad idea???

I heard back in the day about buffered or not nutes... but i've never seen nething labelled... so it must all basically be now...

Yeah, I have good well water... around 7.4-7.8 (depending on what time of year) When I add the bloom A+B, DNF black/gold, bloom enhancer it drops my ph (in 60 liters) down to 5.8... perfect for blooming.... In your case you'll need to bring it up a bit...
Veg from 5.8-6.2 Bloom from 5.6-5.8 with dnf.

When adding water or nutes... Make sure pumps are off... and balance you res as a whole... not being pumped around.... and then bring your nutrient solution to what ph it needs to be.

BTW My res is wide open to the room... it sits on the floor under my table open to the ambient light. I don't get any clogs in sprayers or drip stakes (besides roots growing into them sometimes). I change out my nutrients weekly... like the DNF schedule says and I've never had a algae problem.

RatherBBurnin said:
So i am to assume that my nutes have a buffer added.. and because i am using bottled water.. and its mixed to lower tap water.. is the reason my ph goes from 7.0.... to 3.5 after i add my nutes???? this isnt over time.. its over the period of mixing the nutes in... and should i be adjusting it back to 5.5... ive duct taped the holes where the airline enters... i might just duct tape the sides of the bid as well just to keep it air tight... good idea or bad idea???

KADE said:
BTW My res is wide open to the room... it sits on the floor under my table open to the ambient light. I don't get any clogs in sprayers or drip stakes (besides roots growing into them sometimes). I change out my nutrients weekly... like the DNF schedule says and I've never had a algae problem.

Id the container clear or like one of those green rubbermaids?

Well i am starting with ph 7.0..and using GROW A+B and BLOOM A+B..what other DNF products should i be using in the bloom phase???

My container was like a teal colour.. but im starting to think i was the problem for the algae and not the system.. because a) i used clones rooted in dirty rockwool..
and b) i was top feeding water through the medium.. into the res... which the res was very acidic..... which i think may have caused the algae..

Mutt said:
Id the container clear or like one of those green rubbermaids?

Neither... Black hard plastic... the hydro place i got it from says it was made for a res... sooo I dunno... algae resistant perhaps? I dont bother to put the top on it.. and i dont get any in there... I've gone 2 weeks and it wasn't a problem either... perhaps there isn't enough light in the shade from my table.

RatherBBurnin said:
Well i am starting with ph 7.0..and using GROW A+B and BLOOM A+B..what other DNF products should i be using in the bloom phase???

My container was like a teal colour.. but im starting to think i was the problem for the algae and not the system.. because a) i used clones rooted in dirty rockwool..
and b) i was top feeding water through the medium.. into the res... which the res was very acidic..... which i think may have caused the algae..

During the cutting/sprouting stage you'll use - Grow A+B and DNF Green
Seedlings (established rooted plants) - grow a+b, DNF green, DNF black
Veg - DNF Grow A+B, DNF Gold, DNF Black
Bloom - DNF Bloom A+B, DNF Gold, DNF Black.... once flowers appear.. use a bloom fortifier... DNF makes it... or monster bloom, those kinda products.

Superthrive is also another WICKED potent additive.. About $125.cad for a small bottle... it'll last most of ur life. You'll see a growth difference overnite... also.. if you can get it... pinemyte a pine oil supplement... amazing stuff.. i told you guys i was gonna go a grow out w/ it... i did.. HUUUGE potential that stuff.... it is kinda $$.. but if you are looking for EXTREME growth and healthy plants... then thas ur ticket... u'll use a whole bottle pretty fast... a bottle is $25cad

If you can afford to not skimp on the additives man.. DOOOO IT buy them up.. Dnf performs VERY well with them. Here.. take a look.

In a whole grow I use;
Power $150.00
Half a bottle of A+B grow. $7.50
Full bottle of A+B Bloom $15.00
1/8 bottle of Green. $4.00
Full bottle of Black $15.00
Full bottle of Gold $25.00
Bloom Fortifier (monster bloom) $25.00
Superthrive $0.50
Pinemyte $25.00

Total $267.00... and this time I know 100% I'll be getting over 2 pounds (908 grams)
Street value of like $9080... so I saved myself basically $8800 from buying off the street... Well worth the other $100 in nutes... to double my yeild.. I was only barely clearing just under a pound a grow w/o the additives.

Well i guess ill have to go grab bottle of green black gold and bloom...

i tried to get superthrive.. but they didnt have any at walmart or homedepot.... and at the local hydro shop they sell hydrothrive....

I think DNF nutes are a ontario thing..

RatherBBurnin said:
Well i guess ill have to go grab bottle of green black gold and bloom...

i tried to get superthrive.. but they didnt have any at walmart or homedepot.... and at the local hydro shop they sell hydrothrive....

I think DNF nutes are a ontario thing..

Check ebay maybe? DNF is distributed in Canada ONLY by Homegrown Hydroponics (hydroponics.com) and they are in Ontario... soo I guess!? I'm not in Ontario btw. More East, more salt water.

Yea... i actually get mine thru the local HomeGrown.... i figured it was their signature line..

Is it normal to have greyish slime on the roots in hydroponics.. for some reason i came home from camping..and my plants look great.. minus the slime on the roots in the water....

Latest posts

Back