Reasons for Ph Swing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im using the DNF ph up and down to stablize my solution... The reason i was using RO water is because my house water is very hard... and i have a water softner... and i was worried about the salt count in the tap water.... But yea... i think i may have figured out how to keep it stable now..

RatherBBurnin said:
But yea... i think i may have figured out how to keep it stable now..

& I bet it wasn't easy! When I set up aquariums several years ago, for some reason the tap water was incredibly high ph- like they were adding bleach to it, plus inadequate buffering to keep adjusted ph down. Many fish gave their lives while I struggled to get it down to where they like it & keep it there.

I'm using bottled spring water in my hydro because it's more predictable than the crap that spews out of the water system.

KADE said:
Ph will go up.. if there is algae growth or rapid root growth... if not, then it should go down like usual as water is used up faster then the nutes.

Rapid root growth...? If I know for a fact that I have no algae in my res and that my res temps are perfect 65F-70F, I am using GH 3 part half strength veg mix, then is rapid root growth a possible reason why I have to use GH pH down everyday, sometimes twice a day?

I just recently moved my plants into a much larger containers, 10 gal rubbermaid or sterlite plastic tub, each plant has it's own container with lots of room for root growth.

What would cause rapid root growth in a hydro system? Not enough nutes? Maybe I need to up the mix, I was just going slow with the nutes.

...Or could it be that I need to increase the number of flood cycles a day? I am currently flooding once every 3 hours for 15 minutes.

I find I have 2 times through a grow where that happens... 1.5 weeks into veg and the 2nd week of stretching through flowering..

Latest posts

Back