Restricted by plant count, please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Hi everyone at MP! Ive been gone awhile, but am now back with a new place for my med grow. Our laws in Cali vary from county to county, as far as how many plants you can legally grow. I just moved to a place where I can only have 6 mature (per card holder), and of course I will need these to be as big as possible, so this is where I need the help of the experts at MP.

My last grow I was allowed almost 3x as many plants as I am now. So, instead of lots of little plants (my last grow averaged about 1oz dried per plant, almost all were a purple indica from clone) I need a few BIG plants. I have approx. 40sqft to work with this time, as opposed to about 17sqft last time.

I have (1) 1000w hps, and all the other equipment I need. Now last time I vegged for only about 10 days or so; most were just barely one foot tall when I induced flower. I used 3 gal buckets last time, with about 14 girls under the single 1000w.

Does longer veg automatically (for the most part) mean higher yielding plants (given everything is the same)? Is a 1000w overkill for just 6 girls? I basically have no height restrictions. i plan on using 5gal pots this time and veg for at least 3 weeks, but am open for going longer if it means increased yield.

Also, how many (large plants) would fit comfortably in a 40sqft room. My roomate has a card, so we could add another 6, along with another 600w hps. So maybe 12 plants and 1600watts- is that way too much? Thanks.

Hi Im in a county in So Cal and Im only allowed 6 "mature plant" what they are meaning by this is 6 plants producing buds, and Im allowed 12 Immature or "non producing plants" You need to select 1 or 2 mother plants, then you need a vegging area where you can raise plants ready to flower... I use 5 gallon buckets and use , topping, super cropping, femming, or scrog what ever method meets your fancy.

By having a vegging area it means you will have ready plants and you can have a harvest every time your buds mature... The idea here is when you harvest you are ready the very next day with a fresh crop ready to flower... Yes you will need a longer veg but if your vegging while the others are flowering you can have a steady supply of bud...

HI,

6 plants finishing every 8-12 weeks would be plenty for both of your personal consumption unless you're Cheech and Chong! :p If you do a nice long veg period and bloom them fairly big, 5 gal pots or larger will give you more buds. Since you don't have ceiling restrictions I'd try to find 7 or 10 gal pots that have more depth than less diameter than the average 7 or 10 gal pot. Roots grow down so the deeper the better within reason...

I'd probably do a twist on the SOG principle... but with gals that were vegged a good 5-6 weeks for more of a 'few large waves' of green. FWOG :confused: ? I'd probably use three 1K's if your power can handle it and get a perpetual - well, kinda perpetual - every few weeks harvest situation going. Setup each light dedicated to a group of four girls preferably all the same strain and age. You could put the first four into the room and get them started for a couple of weeks then fire up another light and start the next four blooming and wait another couple of weeks and then fire up the third 1K and add a third group of four gals. Each group of four should be either the same or very similar growing strain and has a dedicated light so you'll be able to maximize light for each group and imho about 4 fairly large plants under a 1K is plenty. I'd keep the walls pretty close too with some panda film to contain and reflect the light back into the garden.

I did something like this at a grow about 5 years ago and we loved it. It makes is easier to develop and veg 4 similar sized plants at a time imho... I guess it all depends on whether you prefer to do a little work every couple of weeks or all of it at one time for 12 girls. Two 600's with 6 girls leap frogging is another option with a harvest every 4-6 weeks depending on strain.

Have fun... I know I would!

Rock ON!:cool:

MindzEye said:
Hi Im in a county in So Cal and Im only allowed 6 "mature plant" what they are meaning by this is 6 plants producing buds, and Im allowed 12 Immature or "non producing plants" You need to select 1 or 2 mother plants, then you need a vegging area where you can raise plants ready to flower... I use 5 gallon buckets and use , topping, super cropping, femming, or scrog what ever method meets your fancy.

By having a vegging area it means you will have ready plants and you can have a harvest every time your buds mature... The idea here is when you harvest you are ready the very next day with a fresh crop ready to flower... Yes you will need a longer veg but if your vegging while the others are flowering you can have a steady supply of bud...

Thanks for the reply. I have to let you know, that you are completely misunderstanding the law. It clearly states 6 flowering OR12 immature- NOT BOTH, Its either or. So technically this set-up would not work for me. Again, just so you can stay legal, its not 6 mature and 12 immature- Its one or the other.

Yes it would and i fully understand the law... Vegging plants are not "mature plants".... And that is how the law is written... you can have 6 mature plants and 12 immature plants the word "or" isnt in the lawbook.... But dont take my word for it go get yourself a medicinal marijuana law book, most dipensaries have them...

I have a friend who runs 2 out of LA's 600+ dipensaries... We are well informed of the laws and this is the only way you can produce...

Anyhow there are 2 people living in my home with a Dr's note thats really the best way to work it....

Hold on there buddy,I have a state issue mmj card.4 my county its 6 and 12=18 + 1/2 lb.R u sure of the law in your area?

thats what I was saying, the law says 6 mature plants and 12 immature plants... Total is 18 plants...

What Type was saying is that its either 6 mature or 12 immature...

The law never says OR it says 6 mature AND 12 immature...

MindzEye said:
thats what I was saying, the law says 6 mature plants and 12 immature plants... Total is 18 plants...

What Type was saying is that its either 6 mature or 12 immature...

The law never says OR it says 6 mature AND 12 immature...
No, sorry, all of you are wrong. SB 420 clearly states 6 mature, OR 12 immature. NOT BOTH- sorry for the caps, but i would hate to see anyone get in trouble. Here is a link to the law:
hxxp://www.safeaccessnow.net/countyguidelines.htm

For example, Los Angeles (and many other counties) is 6 OR 12. The total is NOT 18!!! it's either 6 (mature) or 12 (immature). There are no ANDs anywhere in the law.

Now lets see your sources. i hate to be critical, but spreading misinformation about the law is and can be very dangerous.

DirtySouth said:
Hold on there buddy,I have a state issue mmj card.4 my county its 6 and 12=18 + 1/2 lb.R u sure of the law in your area?
I dont know what county you are in, but if it's one that recognizes the state minimum, it is very clear. The state minimum, according to senate bill 420, is 6 mature, or 12 immature and no more than a total of 8oz dried. That is the law.

On a side note, I think its funny you guys are thanking each other for information that is incorrect and can send you to jail. My county pretty much refuses to recognize mmj, and only accepts the state minimum. I know other places are much more lenient, and may turn the other cheek if you are only slightly over your county's limit. But where I am, 6 mature and any other plant (seedling, clone, immature, etc) puts you over the state wide limit, and they will take you to jail here.

The law is vague and stupid, and lots of poeple misunderstand it. It's poorly written.

For 40sq/ft you'll need more lights than 1 1000w the optimal lights for that space is 120000 Lumens for vegging and 200000 Lumens for flowering! A 1000w usally puts out 110000-150000 Lumens depending on the bulb so with this calculations you'll need more lights for both veg and flowering! At least 1 more 1000w 2 would be better!

Phatpharmer

...and do 2 rooms using soil beds like me... alternate rooms of vegging/flowering... run a strain that is massive... something like Chocolate Thai... Neville or Super Silver Haze... you could pull massive....:cool:

pfffft... on second thought... who cares about plant numbers?... I'm not even a card holder... I have hundreds of plants growing on my property... who cares?... I don't, obviously....:cool:

phatpharmer said:
For 40sq/ft you'll need more lights than 1 1000w the optimal lights for that space is 120000 Lumens for vegging and 200000 Lumens for flowering! A 1000w usally puts out 110000-150000 Lumens depending on the bulb so with this calculations you'll need more lights for both veg and flowering! At least 1 more 1000w 2 would be better!

Phatpharmer

Thanks- I use a Hortilux eye (140000) lumens. I know it can illuminate a space of approx 4x4 or 16sqft. I would really like to pull the funds together to get another, but because of the low plant count im allowed, I dont want to waste money by having too much light and not enough plants. I know you can never have too much light so to speak, but obviously a single plant per light would be unreasonable. So what would be the optimal amount of plants to fully utilize (2) 1kw lights?

That crazy vancouver guy said:
pfffft... on second thought... who cares about plant numbers?... I'm not even a card holder... I have hundreds of plants growing on my property... who cares?... I don't, obviously....:cool:
Wife, lol. :hitchair:

I think if I were to set up 2x 1000w with Hortilux bulbs (140000 Lumens) I'd have a space 5ft wide x 10ft long for a space of 50sq/ft which would be around 5600 lumens per sq/ft! Remember thats how I would doit as I don't grow monster, I think in your case you only want 6 plants so you do want monsters which means you may want to cut down on space so you have more Lumens per sq/ft as you need the extra lumens for the penetration you'll need for monster plants! By this I mean you dont get the same penetration on a 2ft plant as say you would on a 6ft plant, I hope this makes sense to you as I really stoned trying to explain this!

Phatpharmer

That crazy vancouver guy said:

Yeah Crazy guy...

I got to thinking... uh... with the wheels coming off the wagon for LE regarding herb they aren't going to be busting down doors to see who's got 6 of these or 12 of those... I'm out here in the real world with you and any one of my babies could put me away with the wrong prosecutor/judge... There are plenty of orange jumpsuits & flip flops to go around but you do what you gotta do...

I guess if you really wanted to be a stickler and *legally* grow, and only had one permit you'd have to weigh whether you'd flower 3 plants while 3 were vegging or if you blow off the whole veg room and pick up 6 clones at the end of each grow and veg a few weeks further and bloom them if you wanted big gals.

But bonus for you Type S150! You have two permits in your home so... I'd put 4 big gals per 1K and veg them 4-5 wks. You'll be able to keep the light relatively close for great bud development.

I'd stagger start times of each group of four too... That way you can always have the other four you're permitted vegging for the next grow.

Veg 4 plants for 4-5 weeks to desired size. Then put those in the bloom room under the first 1k at 12/12. Start 4 more in the veg room.

In 4-5 weeks move the 4 in veg under 1K #2. Start 4 more in the veg room.

In 4-5 weeks, depending on the strain, harvest your first four plants under 1k #1.

Then move the 4 in veg under light #1 to start blooming. Start 4 more in the veg room.

And just keep it going... You'll harvest 4 plants every 4-5 weeks. If you grow some long Sativas you can adjust your veg and bloom periods accordingly and in time you'll dial in on fine tweaking when to start your clones vegging so they are ready to go as soon as each group of four plants is finished.

As long as you use clones the same size from the same strain or similar strain under each light you should be able to keep an even canopy for light coverage. Depending on the veg time, strain and conditions you can expect anywhere from 12 oz to 2 lbs per light. imho closer to 12 oz to a pound per 1K is more realistic and any more than that will show you that you're firing on all cylinders... Less will tell you that some tweaks are needed to your setup and routine. Do you think that you can somehow get by on 12+ oz every 4-5 weeks? lol.... :p

I hope this makes sense... I'm pretty baked and it sounds great to me!

Peace!:cool:

Type_S150 said:
Wife, lol. :hitchair:

Ok so if you have a wife, tell her to go get a Dr's note.... Its a good idea also to find a good lawyer,and keep enough money for a retainer fee...

My wife and I both have a note, so my house is allowed, 12 plants OR 24 immature plants and a pound of bud....

So... I gotta ask...

Has anyone heard what the logic is behind allowing you to have 12 "immature" plants OR 6 "mature" plants? Is the idea to grow and veg 12 plants to pick 6 from and when you do that you're supposed to destroy the other 6? I can't quite get a grasp on the thinking... Who thunk up this formula?

These must be hard if not impossible #'s to stick to if you're cloning/vegging. I only have room for the most modest of vegging setups... a 3 x 2 closet with a 2' 4 tube T5 fixture. Right now I've got 3 clones in a small bubbler rooting, and some small plants in veg: 5 WW, 1 Poison Afghan, 1 Avalanche and a clone from each of the 4 plants I have blooming now until the verdict is in to see how many of those will stay in the selection of mother stock. So I'm at 14 in there without even trying... I don't even have room for proper mothers... I just veg 2-4 plants for my bloom closet and take new clones to perpetuate the strain.

Peace!:cool:

they are thinking of growing from seed... you will have to thin out the males...

Latest posts

Back