Rockwool turning green (mold?) and yellow leaves- help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I stated bro, you are years behind us. Noone uses Ebb&flo with 4" cubes ONLY anymore, that is late 80's stuff man.

I was just in the 'Dam and nowhere did I see "cubecaps". I know DNA personally.

Now, I will concede that if I had a greenhouse full of tomato plants, and all I did was ebb&flo 4" cubes, your product might be a benefit.
But, if you transfer your cube to another medium ( I use 2 gal pots with shreaded rockwool), then your argument is pointless.
As soon as I transfer my cube to its own pot, within 2 weeks the canopy is large enough to block light to the pots, thus killing off "the deadly,gnat breeding algea" and all is well.
Fungal gnats are more of a problem with DWC or grows using grorocks. But, American Agritech beat you to the punch with "caps" that fit net baskets.

Have you ever tried H2O2? Kills gnats and thier larvea with the quickness.

And please, again, you do not know me or how long I have been at the game.
This is my 24th year growin the mighty herb.I HAVE done articles for Maximum Yeild. Cmon man, where do you think Max is at??
And yes, I started hydro by using ebb & flo tables with 4" cubes as the only medium. If you would have came on the scene back then and introduced these caps, I might have fallen for it. But I am older and wiser and just plain out know better.
And I have used "covers" for algea when I first started. And yes, they worked, but there was no difference in plant health or yeild. Just a PITA putting them on and off during harvests/planting.

Now, lets get to your "facts".

You mention numerous mags that have articles about your product. Well my friend, they are not articles, they are advertisments. You paid to have "cubecaps" placed in the mags. BIG difference between advertisments and an article.

And about mjp, ya man, I know what it is, remember, I mentioned it to you!
And I have never seen no "cubecaps" on mjp bragging about a new "invention".

Look man, I understand your game. More Power to ya. It is just the fact that you come in here and tought these caps as the end all be all of algea and fungal gnats. You then proceed to slam me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about and I have 2 grows under my belt with 7 plants?? Foolish.

I do believe that your little caps do help prevent algea, thus taking ONE of the breeding grounds for gnats out of the equation. But, as I said, these are only good for folks that do a whole cycle growing in nothing but cubes, which, most folks do not. Most of the smaller growers here use DWC, and yes, have fungal gnat issues. Go address that.

What you should have done is try to sell your "drip caps", that ,my canadian friend, has my interest. I am VERY interested in those, as that is my method of choice, drip over rockwool. I like the idea of evenly spreading the nuits over the whole cube. Currently, I use "feed spikes" that tend to only feed in one spot and then trickle down, thus missing 95% of the top 4x4 cube when feeding.

So, good luck on your venture. Stick wqith the Drip caps and ditch the Covers.
If you REALLY want to help out the community, breed a strain that loses all it's leaves the day before harvest.

Thanks Trillions. I came home from the Bay last nite and dealt with madness all day and traffic all the way home. I may have been a little harsh. But a good Sour Deisel joint this morning str8ened me right out.

I have no hard feelings to Cubecaps, shoot, we are all in the same family :)

Wow, pretty cool read once you wade through the fluff. Once again though if retailers were simply upfront I'm sure they would be met with much more open arms. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with using commercial hydro setups, but there is something wrong with trying to misrepresent yourself.

NorCalHal said:
As I stated bro, you are years behind us. Noone uses Ebb&flo with 4" cubes ONLY anymore, that is late 80's stuff man.

I was just in the 'Dam and nowhere did I see "cubecaps". I know DNA personally.

Now, I will concede that if I had a greenhouse full of tomato plants, and all I did was ebb&flo 4" cubes, your product might be a benefit.
But, if you transfer your cube to another medium ( I use 2 gal pots with shreaded rockwool), then your argument is pointless.
As soon as I transfer my cube to its own pot, within 2 weeks the canopy is large enough to block light to the pots, thus killing off "the deadly,gnat breeding algea" and all is well.
Fungal gnats are more of a problem with DWC or grows using grorocks. But, American Agritech beat you to the punch with "caps" that fit net baskets.

Have you ever tried H2O2? Kills gnats and thier larvea with the quickness.

And please, again, you do not know me or how long I have been at the game.
This is my 24th year growin the mighty herb.I HAVE done articles for Maximum Yeild. Cmon man, where do you think Max is at??
And yes, I started hydro by using ebb & flo tables with 4" cubes as the only medium. If you would have came on the scene back then and introduced these caps, I might have fallen for it. But I am older and wiser and just plain out know better.
And I have used "covers" for algea when I first started. And yes, they worked, but there was no difference in plant health or yeild. Just a PITA putting them on and off during harvests/planting.

Now, lets get to your "facts".

You mention numerous mags that have articles about your product. Well my friend, they are not articles, they are advertisments. You paid to have "cubecaps" placed in the mags. BIG difference between advertisments and an article.

And about mjp, ya man, I know what it is, remember, I mentioned it to you!
And I have never seen no "cubecaps" on mjp bragging about a new "invention".

Look man, I understand your game. More Power to ya. It is just the fact that you come in here and tought these caps as the end all be all of algea and fungal gnats. You then proceed to slam me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about and I have 2 grows under my belt with 7 plants?? Foolish.

I do believe that your little caps do help prevent algea, thus taking ONE of the breeding grounds for gnats out of the equation. But, as I said, these are only good for folks that do a whole cycle growing in nothing but cubes, which, most folks do not. Most of the smaller growers here use DWC, and yes, have fungal gnat issues. Go address that.

What you should have done is try to sell your "drip caps", that ,my canadian friend, has my interest. I am VERY interested in those, as that is my method of choice, drip over rockwool. I like the idea of evenly spreading the nuits over the whole cube. Currently, I use "feed spikes" that tend to only feed in one spot and then trickle down, thus missing 95% of the top 4x4 cube when feeding.

So, good luck on your venture. Stick wqith the Drip caps and ditch the Covers.
If you REALLY want to help out the community, breed a strain that loses all it's leaves the day before harvest.

NorCalHal thanks for the half compliment, and thank you for your opinion about eliminating CubeCaps from our line, unfortunately since we have sold just over 500,000 in the first two years of the 3”,4” & 6” sizes, I would imagine it would not be a smart move for us to do that.
Of course we advertise in those mags and like I said before, they all have done their own stories on us outside our support through advertising.

Regarding mjp I said that my posts are with the FREEZLAND & M39 strains speaking to the original owner of the “Super sativa seed bank” North Holland, from late 70’s..There strain M39 a 45 day flowering plant was originally called “5 way” not many people know this but M39 was the code in the book for ordering of the 5 way. There is some pioneer knowledge from the vault for you..

Since you know Don & Aaron from DNA and Lisa from Max yield..Give Lisa a call and ask her about the upcoming company profile they are doing on us and then ask Don & Aaron how they are enjoying the Caps..I love there Chocolope from last year..We discussed when we were together me getting them our killer jack flash genetics and them crossing it with their Lope and calling it “Jackalope” Still on the table, that convo..

The Chocolope is so yummy just like the Buddha Cheese, I love that skunk #1 that is dotting all through those yummy after taste skunk mixes. It should have won the 20th Cup. I will say hello to them for you if you like, in 3 weeks. Do they know you by this NorCalHal name?

Next time you’re in the Dam pop in to Dampkring grow shop and look at the caps on their shelves..Ask them questions if you like.

Gentlemen I didn't come on here to sell any caps, far from it, business is very good and we are worldwide. I was just answering the fluffin GREEN question and the NorCalHal started his rant, dissing the product that I recommended.

To show you there are no hard feelings I would gladly send each and every one of you caps for free to check out for yourselves.

NorCal, I will even send you some new DripCaps wrapped up with a bow for you to try out , my gift to you, enjoy.

We are at the world Horti fair in Holland in 3 weeks for the grand unveiling of the DripCap. Growers of the Vegetable and Flower crops from all around the globe who represent the food crops which you all eat..Then on to Dubai for the New Year, to help them conserve water in a country were that resource is worth more than oil..

This is the market for CubeCap & DripCap...I don't know if you remember that the caps (besides Algae gnat and all the rest of it) use HALF the water and nutrients and produces better yields. You’re a smart guy, so you do this math, there are one billion Rockwool cubes sold each and every year. We have an efficacy report coming out soon proving that the caps will allow you to use half the water and produce a better crop..Now tell me NorCal, do you still think I am here to sell a few caps to some cool Cali hobby farmers?

I am glad that you have been growing for 24 years I am right there along with you and with my next statement no disrespect intended but I was doing 20 to 70 light shows, starting with one light 28 years ago ,grew haze and g13 then and everything else since, I had to
retire from that by the way. In that situation where you have allot of plants, the larva, like I stated before literally nibbled the roots right out of the cube. Imagine shows like that, you cannot give the love and care to the crop like a small show...You would be sleeping there all night.lol

anyhow boys gotta run let me know if any of you want some early xmas gifts from "dimwitted, commercializing couldn't grow a bud for my life, lying CubeCap guy"

have a good one, grow happy

Peace

p.s NorCal do me a favour and look on the CubeCap site at the pictures of Algae in greenhouses . You will see that they take the 4" or 6" block and stack it on top of another rockwool slab..and depending on the type of crop the plant could be there for a year..this is why Cubecaps are valuble to this method.

I forgot to address some of your comments. We are years behind you? that is just a silly statement. Do you actually believe in your head that our technologies or genetics are any different than yours? You should travel a bit more if you actually believe that.

Your other statment saying that, no body floods and drains any more? Dude ya ok.. I loose a bit of respect for you when I see a statments like that..

You also said that you used covers before, the only covers that were around before ours were pieces of cut out plastic that you hold down with tooth pics and they did a great job of suffocating your plants because they sat directly on top of the block. Ours are elevated and create a wonderful micro climate between the block and cap..

and dude, there is NO HYPE, having a clean facility is not hype, you have a clean house don't you?

take care

Great retort my friend.

As far as "years" behind, I am refering to method ie. ebb & flo with cubes only. Not many folks do that anymore, at least in the Bay for sure. This is a fact man, I see it. If you really think that ebb & flo over cubes is the best way to promote healthy root growth for top strains, then I am loosing a little respect for you.
And, I stated that the caps, imho, are viable for commercial growers only.
Like the folks pumping "beasters" into the US.
Cannabible 3 has a great article discussing "beasters".
I do believe that your caps will work, but I still do not buy into them making your plant healthier or better yeilding, that is for sure.

DNA knows me by my real name only. I spent quite a bit of time with them going over Cannalope haze and LA Con, which I finally germinated and have got going. They are the first ones that I took a pic with holding the coveted "cannibis cup" Are they still Gray Area exclusive? They are one of the few folks in 'Dam that still grow with cubes, most grow in soil, organically.
Except for Commercial grows involving big "shows". Haha, you are a down dude, I like putting on "shows" myself :)

I see no mention of anything regarding the Bay Area? If you take some time and come down to Nor-Cal, you will see we have overtaken Holland as the Cannabis development leader my friend. The only thing Holland has over us is the Law, for now. We still have to be quite stealth. But the breeding and techniques used here are smokin' the Dam. And soon, within 2-3 years, I believe that So-Cal will overtake us here in the Bay. So-Cal is really blowing up.
Shoot man, DNA are from L.A. What does that say?

So, all in all, I believe we are both correct. The Cube Caps (see, I actually capitilized your product!) do have a place in the industry. But as far as the small guy who has 6 plants, I do not believe that they would gain that guy too much.

I'll be keeping an eye on your site to see when the Drip Caps are available. I was actually talking to a partner last nite who is also very interested.
I think your Drip Caps would go over big in and around the Bay Area and So-Cal. There are alot more folks growing in Cali then Holland. Alot bigger shows too.

We were in the bay area last year with the Max yield show and at the Advanced nutients party too with the painted girls and the snakes..( not me personally I am not allowed in the states) DNA is still exclusive to grey area.

Genetics that loose leaves the day before harvest has still some time to go..

Like I think I said said the ebb & flo tables are not the only application for 4" & 3" people stack those small blocks on top of slabs or 6" blocks..

We will be updating the web site to show the 3" and 4" that get stacked on top of the 6" blocks.. It is so cool, you trace out your 3 or 4 inch block on the underside of the 6" cap and cut it out then you can stack the 3 & 4" directly on top of it. With a cap on the 6 and one on the smaller 3" or 4"

Anyhow can we drop this debate now? I agree with you a small operation with one light does not need the caps like a big one does ..But small guys are using them trying to optimize there garden as much as they can to, why have Fungus gnats if you don't have to? Why have Algae growing on your blocks if you don't have to?

You can drive your car for a long time without taking to much care of it to. But i like to change my oil often and treat it the best I can for optimal performce.

On just one plant if it is caked with Algae, that is not healthy or optimal, right? can you grow with Algae of course you can, I have, we all have and most still do..Does CubeCap get ride of that , yes sir, it most certainly does..

Use them or don't at least you have a good option of not having Algae in your facility..

I know that all my friends use them and we have many hydroponic stores all over that we sell to for hobby guys to use and they love them and use them all over Cali as well..

I will let you know when the DripCaps are available, Oct 1st for the 6" and the 3" & 4" dRIP TWO MONTHS AFTER THAT, OPPS sorry for caps..

By the way when I clicked on your OG Kush link..That is were I saw the 7 plants on a drip table, this is were I got the impression. As far my quote about a harvest dieing, I think I read that from the other guys link..New2Chronic..I like the OG if it's real (not saying yours isn't but people talk) The purple Kush from BC is so killer, yummy I can smell that all day, to bad there is only clones available of that..

Have a good day, Happy growing

Cheers Cubecaps! No hard feelings bro.

I was @ Advanced's party also. Good times! You can't come to the US?? What, are you friends with Marc or something?

I have also done 4" blocks on slabs. I didn't really like it because you could not move the girls around easily.

I do concede, I am sure your caps work, and, they are better then the plastic film covers I have seen.

I really think your drip caps are ging to go off. Great idea and I think will go well around here. Go to Envitionmental Concepts in Berkely, his clientel go big and he would move a ton of those.

The kush grow in my sig was a nice harvest. And you are correct, very kind smoke, if you get the real. I do agree with you, there is alot of folks who talk about having the real. My cut is from Orgnkid himself.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back