Round 2 bag seed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaserKittensGoPewPew

2 string maestro
Reaction score
Well...So far I have 2 65w fluorex floodlights 6500k. 1 2700k 27w cfl and a 5500k 27w cfl. I'm almost thinking of going and actually buying some fixtures and mounts and redoing it to clean everything up. And...since I tore everything down last time, I've just been too lazy to line the inside of my box with the white posterboard again...I'll do that eventually though.

Anyway, this is just some bag seed I had. I'm having trouble germinating the seeds in the paper towel though. I'm thinking they're just all bad. I have like 10 going right now and none are popping. So...they must not be mature seeds. Once I build my fridge grow box I'll definitely be buying some nice strains to grow. None of this bag seed stuff.

But anyway...This is round number 2 for me. So here it is so far.

These pics are from today. The plants are 5 days above soil.

Well...plants have grow a bit more...I have 11 more coming to join these 3 for a total of 14. I relined my grow box with the white poster board so it's a lot brighter in there now. Hopefully the new seedlings pop up in the next day or two. After I took these pics I lowered the lights down to about 3 inches above the top leaves. I know there aren't 14 pictured there...I have to find some more small containers to put them in until they're established enough to transplant. I'm actually thinking of trying to grow some of them out of solo cups.

Thank's...I just hope those 2 survive the transplant into the 16oz cups...It wasn't pretty. The rest I've also put into 16oz cups. I've decided to do the entire grow in those on almost all of them. If I get a bunch of males and can free up enough space I'll put some into actual pots. But for the most part a good number will grow entirely from the solo cups.

Here are the first 11...Turns out I'll have 15...another seed decided to spit out a root. I have 4 more to plant. I'm just waiting for their roots to get a bit longer.

The two big ones are at day 9 above soil. I transplated them today and it wasn't pretty. So they're probably stressed out pretty bad right now. All the little sprouts were planted yesterday and transplanted from those cut water bottles to 160z cups. Most of them have shot up out of the soil or are very close.

edit: finally...I got al the germinated seeds into soil and cups...last picture

well...another seed popped a taproot. So that makes 15 now. I have to get another cup ready to put it into. I'll also be buying another 65w flood light. While I'm at it I'm going to finish this box by adding in the 120mm computer fans for ventilation and a door to keep it closed. I think I might go try to find some space blankets too to line the walls with instead of the poster board.

Lol....well....We'll see how big of a mistake this was...I was thinking more of the power fans I would need for building my new grow cabinet (pesi fridge)...So I bought a 200cfm computer server fan for the exhaust...And for the intake I bought a 92cfm fan. Well...the box I'm using now to veg is only like 7 cubic feet. Ahahaha...I think I might have some big time overkill...but hopefully it doesn't turn out too bad. Not sure if too much ventilation is a bad thing so we'll see. I'll have to run to HD or Lowes and see if I can't pick up another 65w fluorex. The guy I bought my 2 from on ebay for $27 shipped doesn't have them anymore..I'll shoot him an email though. And today I'm going to see if I can find some space blankets from outdoor stores. If not I'll just ebay those too. So...finally setting up this veg box for my 15 plants.

edit: Also just pinched one of the bigger plant's neck. I was going to wait till the flower stage like NDS said he does, but I just thought I would try it on one throughout the veg stage and see how it goes. Mainly because I had the silly idea that if I did it now and built it up while vegging, when it comes to flowering it won't have to redirect any energy to repairing itself. So when it flowers it will already have strong stems and improved circulation so it can just direct all it's energy to the buds. Word.

Hey, go to Walmart and get an "Emergency Blanket" they're like $1-$3, it should say Mylar somewhere on the package.... cheap and efficient.

will do. The outdoors place by me suprisingly didn't have them. I'll look around a few more places and also see if I can find a walmart around me.

Today I cut my numbers from 15 down to 6. I selected all the weakest growing plants and one that had a partially ripped leaf when it came out of the ground, but was still alive. So tonight I'm going to take these small seedlings and plant them outside in the woods. If they grow, they grow. The other 6 are going nice and strong. This is will free up a lot of space and be more managable for me.

Off to a good start I see LK. The only down side to alot of ventilation is it can s uck the RH down to nothing. That can prove bad for the plants. If it drops below 35% do not feed full stregnth nutes. it'll burn'm quick.

Get your comfort with pinchin the stem, theres a nother method you can use too that I like alot and thats to twist it. Grab a node with finger and thumb, then grab an inch or 2 above with the other finger and thumbs. Twist your fingers against each other gently and you'll hear/feel a snap. your done, leave it.

Consider it practice for later :eek:, theres a common technique used to control height in flower that uses this twisting/pinching technique. The twisting and pinching loosens the stem without breaking alot of passageways. After you've done it a little you can flop the top right on over so it creases at the bend. Dont worry, it'll heal just fine and hopefully hold some of its new shape.

RH?

I think I'm going to run into problems keeping the temperature around 70-75 with these fans. I bought these thinking of using them more for my flower fridge that I'm working on. I guess I could get a couple 80mm fans that are a lot lower strength to regulate the temp better for this size box.

Sorry
Rh = Relative Humidity

Can you get to a wal-mart? they used to sell a small lasko blower fan for 16 bucks. I highly recommend it. moves a butt load of air, cheap.

With air flow, Low RH is the biggest issue you will face, unless your intake air temp is below 55 deg. So if you can have the higher air flow, take it then find ways to increase your RH with bowls of water, wet towels or a humidifier. More air flow also means a fresh supply of CO2, which isnt at all a bad thing

alrighty gotcha now. I'll see what I can do. I should probably pick up something to measure the humidity in the air. Haven't really been going by that at all. I was watching a growing vid and they were saying you want the humidity up around 50%...Does that sound right or is that too much? I was thinking somewhere around 35-40%.

For veg you can be between 50 and 65% RH.
For flower, 30-45%.

A 10 dollar digital thermometer with RH meter on it is one of those things you should have, especially when setting up a new grow area. Why let your plants be the ones to say "its too hot" or "Its too cold"? find out before it could damage them.

wow...pinched the stem on one of the 2 bigger ones. It got noticably thicker. Very cool, I'll have to do that with my others. I'll try out the twist technique like you suggested NDS. I'll post up pictures a little later when I'm not too lazy to upload.

HEY pew pew , looks good man ! we seem to have a " some what " similar grow going . i have a few groups going in 2 different cabinets and i'm also , trying to pinch and train some plants . MY main cab. has 6 plants in it . mine seem to be started round the same time as yours and are also bagseed . I plan to follow yer grow , maybe we can learn from one another .check out my journal when ya get hte time . good luck with everything bro , and keep it green ! PEACE:D

I found a combo temp and humidity at a Lowe's for less than 10 bucks. Dont look for them at a garden shop.

rollingstoned- yep I've actually been following your journal. I've been meaning to ask, how are those purple lights going for you? I've been curious about those.

ms4ms- Thank's dude. A friend of mine said they have them at HD and Lowes so I'll be going there to look. Thanks bro.

Latest posts

Back