Round Up Outdoor Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhead

My Girls!
Reaction score
If you had a hide a way spot that was really thick with heavy saw or jonhson grass, what are your thoughts on using RoundUp 2/3 weeks prior to puting in some plants in a small area I feel the natural veg would be to over bearing for the plants to compete This is a place a Beagle would have a tuff time in
I guess my point is it is ok to use in this manner for Vegies and such but will it kill say 7-10 in. started plants?????? TIA

why not just cut down 2/3 weeks where your plants are going? use the dead grass as fert bye turning in the dirt over the 2/3 weeks and any grass you leave will help keep your plant hidden i could be wrong about useing dead grass in dirt someone plz comment but i think this would be better than ausing chemical

hey guys,,,,I am coming at this from the other side of the spectrum,,,,I use roundup almost every day. It is very safe and has very little residual effect as long as it is not applied directly to the plant. However, If you are in a patch of Johnsongrass,,,,you have to remember that this plant not only grows from seed,,,,but rhizomes as well,,,,so even if you kill the plant that is growing,,,,the rhizomes underneath will sprout back as soon as the dead material is cleared off. This is just my two cents...I hope it helps.

Dollarspot73 is correct about the rhizomes, however, I want to add a little more. Glyphosate (active ingredient in Roundup) is a very powerful plant killer but relatively harmless to humans in small quantities. If you were to drink a shotglass of premixed Roundup, you would get the poopies and a tummy ache. The mode of action is through translocation through a plant. It will kill the Johnsongrass but I would spray it thoroughly with double the concentration (assuming you will buy concentrate, not premixed). It will take two weeks to kill but you have to remember any residual chemical in the ground or roots can't easily be transferred to your plant. It just doesn't work that way. Plus Roundup breaks down fast. I would still dig a hole and place a bag of good soil in it for each plant.

ditto! thanks for your additional comments Fish! you hit it right on the head.

Latest posts

Back