Running Lights at Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumbz99

Reaction score
My 600 HPS runs too hot in my grow room so I'm keeping it on hold. However, I'm trying to construct a cool tube by the end of the week.

I'm also thinking of shifting the light schedule so it runs at night. Something like 7 or 8 pm to 7 or 8 am. Anyone have experience with this? How much will this help to keep my temps down?

Whether or not you run the lights at night or during the day will not affect the overall temp in the growroom if the room is sealed. Running at night is the better choice for stealth, and if you are drawing air in from outside the home then yes it will be obviously easier to keep the temps down at night.

How hot is the ambient air in your grow room now with the HPS on?

when I turn the HPS on it probably gets to around 100 degrees. When I put the thermometer directly under the light, next to the plants, it goes up to 125. That's not very fun. The room is *sealed* but it's up against the roof. Until I build this cool tube I'm running CFLs.

I've run my flower room on that schedule (nights) for years, and find that it helps to heat my garage during the winter, and runs during the coolest hours during the summer. Make sure that electrically everything is solid, have a fire detector nearby and a fire extinguisher on hand. That way, if anything goes awry you are prepared...

Peace...j.b.

:yeahthat:. Great post :). Me, too. Especially the part about the smoke detector and fire extinguisher.

I run my lights from 10 pm to 10 am. The difference in temp is amazing. But I have good ventilation and my intake is from outside and I exhaust to outside when temperatures warrants it.

if you already have a set light cycle for the day, i would not switch it to night mid-flower, this makes the chances of hermies higher. if it's crucial you do it most your plants should turn out fine, but i wouldnt recommend this unless its necessary.

ross said:
if you already have a set light cycle for the day, i would not switch it to night mid-flower, this makes the chances of hermies higher. if it's crucial you do it most your plants should turn out fine, but i wouldnt recommend this unless its necessary.
A single extended dark period (24 hours, is all it would require) should not in any way effect your plants. If it does, your genetics were far far too weak or hermiw prone to begin with... "IMO" In fact, the 125 degree temps could be more strssfull/hermie inducing than the switch to night lighting

Hick said:
A single extended dark period (24 hours, is all it would require) should not in any way effect your plants. If it does, your genetics were far far too weak or hermiw prone to begin with... "IMO" In fact, the 125 degree temps could be more strssfull/hermie inducing than the switch to night lighting
oh wow yea i didnt see the temps were 125, thats crazy, definitely necessary you switch.

I would make sure you get a HIGH OUTPUT in-line fan to help you with your temps on your HPS. That should help out a lot, I have to run A/C to keep my room cool as it get hot as heck easy 90 F if I don't have the A/C.

I'm in Florida and my second crop is being 12/12-ed during the dark hours--temps too high in the day and it's not even summer yet.

Thanks Hick and Goddess: was going to ask that question today about extending the dark period 12 hours. I need to cycle in a crystal and a bagger that are going long flowering.

pcduck said:
I run my lights from 10 pm to 10 am. The difference in temp is amazing. But I have good ventilation and my intake is from outside and I exhaust to outside when temperatures warrants it.

Why have I not even thought of this? Thanks PCD. This is one of those things that sometimes people don't even think of. This is exactly what I will do when I start my next grow and my garage starts getting too warm inside.

Great tip.

Wont touch the heat.
Look into these....S&P TD Series Inline Fan... They rock and with a fan controller they are nearly silent.
shop around they are well worth the dollars.

I would save the money and get a better fan. Many growers do a combo of light heat and carbon filter in one.
Those inline fans are made to boost an already moving air flow, not create the air flow.

GreenThumbz99 said:
do you think a 6 inch in-line duct fan will be enough to cool a 600w bulb?

Because they are cheap and I'm anal, I put an 8" duct booster in my grow room for auxilliary exhaust. But, alas, (never had the oportunity to use alas before) when I closed the door, the fan nearly stopped from the drag. I thought my 6" Can fan was going to make it run in reverse. I turned it off because I didn't want anything in my grow room performing all day with that sort of resistance. I do use one on my 400w MH for flowering and it sems to do okay.

i think i sawe an add in the new mag i got for a liquid cooled light. not too sure about what its all about i didnt get a chance to read the article yet but ill let you know what i find out about it

dr_toker81 said:
i think i sawe an add in the new mag i got for a liquid cooled light. not too sure about what its all about i didnt get a chance to read the article yet but ill let you know what i find out about it

Uh-oh. Stoners + electricity + H2O = :eek:

Latest posts

Back