seed maturation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
ok so I am sure as with almost every aspect of growing, time frame is strain dependent, that having been said,

about how long does it take for a pollinated plants seeds to be ripe

now before you say it I have done some reading, but havent found anything real solid
for an example in the MP full grow guide it reads "...Your branch is now well pollinated and should show signs of visible seed production in 2 weeks, with ripe seeds splitting the calyxes by 3-6 weeks...."
and other resources state "...like most flowering plants marijuana seed maturation occurs at the end of the plants life cycle as the buds start to die..."

Every strain is different I let the seeds grow til THEY are able to be taken out of the plant with no force. When you see seeds that look mature bearly touch it if it falls out it is ready. Most strains take 4 to 6 weeks after polination for seeds to ripen. IMO Then you need to let the seed mature off the plant for 30 days. it seem to me that seed that have matured(cured off the plant) have a better germination rate.

ozzydiodude said:
Every strain is different I let the seeds grow til THEY are able to be taken out of the plant with no force. When you see seeds that look mature bearly touch it if it falls out it is ready. Most strains take 4 to 6 weeks after polination for seeds to ripen. IMO Then you need to let the seed mature off the plant for 30 days. it seem to me that seed that have matured(cured off the plant) have a better germination rate.
:yeahthat:

That OFF the plant maturation/drying is very important, good point ozzy. + rep

I also chunk mine in the fridge (NOT the freezer!), for a bit for that 'winter hibernation' effect. A film can or similar with some dry rice added works great for this. Seeds will stay fresh literally for years kept this way.

DD

I have stuck mine in the freezer for yrs...simulates winter freeze, and I have great germination rates. I stick them in for 3 days and then into a dark tin in my basement. I dunno this is the way I was taught...and it has always worked for me.

"After fertilization seeds will be ripe in about 6 weeks. some may be viable earlier, but seeds are strongest when they split open the containing seed bract or rattle in the pod. Seeds are ready to plant immediately, but the germination rate may be low. Increase germination odds by storing seeds in a cool dry place for one or two months before sprouting"-jorge cervantes-The Indoor Bible

Latest posts

Back