Should I Go 12/12 From Seed On My Micro Grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7thG

Victimless Criminal
Reaction score
Im growing in a space about 3ft tall. Once you factor in the pot and the light I'll probably only be left with about 18'' of actual growing space. Do I have enough space to veg for a brief time and maybe try some topping and LST'ing? Or should I go 12/12 from seed? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Advance!

MP.jpg

will you be flowering in the same area?
how many plants?
what kind of light?(certain lights induce more stretch than others)

depending on the total area, LST and scrog are two viable options

Contrary to what some might say going 12-12 from seed doesn't make them sexually mature any faster than 24-0 and IMO leads to stretching. You are going to need heavy training if you are flowering in that small a space. Micro grows are tough and IMO not worth the hassle, but if that is all the space you can get you will have to make it work. jmo

herbie99 said:
will you be flowering in the same area?
how many plants?
what kind of light?(certain lights induce more stretch than others)

depending on the total area, LST and scrog are two viable options

Yes I was planning on vegging and flowering in it. I really only wanna do one plant. But I ordered regular seeds so I might have to start with 2 or 3. I got 3 small GROW CFL's for the beginning of veg and a 150 watt HPS for late veg and flowering.

Hamster Lewis said:
Contrary to what some might say going 12-12 from seed doesn't make them sexually mature any faster than 24-0 and IMO leads to stretching. You are going to need heavy training if you are flowering in that small a space. Micro grows are tough and IMO not worth the hassle, but if that is all the space you can get you will have to make it work. jmo

Yeah Im starting to worry I might have to finish my plant somewhere else if I run out of space. I agree with you but Im not going for yield this time around just practice. I was planning on ttrying maybe a little topping and a whole lotta LST. I was going to try to spiral the branches around the walls of my cabinet.

7thG said:
Yeah Im starting to worry I might have to finish my plant somewhere else if I run out of space. I agree with you but Im not going for yield this time around just practice. I was planning on ttrying maybe a little topping and a whole lotta LST. I was going to try to spiral the branches around the walls of my cabinet.

If you are not worrying about yield and doing it more for practice you will learn a lot. Topping and or fimming would work along with massive amount of lst. There is another route you could go. It would take a little longer but, you could veg the plant out and once you know it is female take a couple cuts and try and clone them. Once you get some roots pick the best one or two and flower those out. They will start out smaller and be ready for flower anytime you feel they are sized to your liking. You would need another small space for the clones to root though. I am worried if these beans are not fem beans you could wind up spending a lot of time and energy on what could wind up being a male.

Hamster Lewis said:
If you are not worrying about yield and doing it more for practice you will learn a lot. Topping and or fimming would work along with massive amount of lst. There is another route you could go. It would take a little longer but, you could veg the plant out and once you know it is female take a couple cuts and try and clone them. Once you get some roots pick the best one or two and flower those out. They will start out smaller and be ready for flower anytime you feel they are sized to your liking. You would need another small space for the clones to root though. I am worried if these beans are not fem beans you could wind up spending a lot of time and energy on what could wind up being a male.

Yeah Im a little worried about that too. I really should have gotten feminized seeds. That's actually a really good idea though. I could take a bunch of cuttings and do like a Scrog type of setup.

I think Im gonna stick with one plant and if I loose the battle of training I'll use that as a back up plan. Can I take a clone a throw it right into 12/12 to see the sex or do you have to wait until its rooted.

7thG said:
I think Im gonna stick with one plant and if I loose the battle of training I'll use that as a back up plan. Can I take a clone a throw it right into 12/12 to see the sex or do you have to wait until its rooted.

Pretty sure once the donor/host plant is sexually mature the clones will show sex once flipped to 12/12 even without roots. Not sure though...never tried it. Once your donor plant has alternating nodes it should be sexually mature. Then you could take cuts and flip them or flip the whole plant and see if it's a he or she. You will get some stretch though once you go to 12-12.

Yes you can cut a clone and put into 12/12 lighting. Growers have been taking clones from unsexed plants to find the sex since the 70's. It works good for when your not ready to flower but want to thin the males out when starting seeds for a outdoor grow.

I would do any flowering in that space under a scrog screen so that you can push out the growth horizontally and keep it as low as you need it to be. I saw a scrog once where the guy had a couple plants in a space that was about 12"(I think) between the top of the screen and the bottoms of the T5 lights that he was using, and then from the soil to the screen was about 10", so very shallow. He had set the two plants at one end of the table and kept pushing the new growth out across the table, the length of the lights. He produced some very decent budding.

I agree with Hammy though, I would definitely clone them first before trying to flower them so the males can be removed. :)

Hamster Lewis said:

Hamster is spot on. The 12/12 is just going to make them stretch quite a bit especially when they're young. 18" is really just not enough room. Ditto on the clones.

I know a lot of people don't like them but with the limited space auto's might be your best option. I've grew a few and they turned out to be pretty decent.

How do you plan on keeping the grow space cool with the HPS? I like to keep my HPS at least 12-18" off of my plants.

Im going to have a 4" hole right next to the bulb exhausting heat via my 4" centrifugal hydrofarm fan.

How much room will be between the bulb and tops of the plants?

probably not much. i might have to order a sheet of pyrex

Latest posts

Back