Should the soil be wet or dry when transplanting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taktookato

Reaction score
Hello
I’m reporting from 1 gallon to 3 gallon smart pots
Should I transplant when the soil is wet or dry. I gave them a good watering just yesterday.
Also, is it fine to use some light bio Bizz while watering during transplant

I have never transplanted from a Smart Pot. I know it is a beotch to get them out of them. I would think semi-wet would be easier. I use plastic 1/2 gallon pots for veg and transplant when they are dry. But they just slide out.

I’ve had the best results when they were dry but that depended heavily on how well the roots were developed. Like Hamster said, it’s a beotch getting them out and if you don’t have a lot of roots the soil will crumble while trying to get them out.

If they are well developed then hardest part of getting it out is at the very bottom because the roots like to attach themselves to the fabric. I place my hand across the soil with the stem in between my fingers and flip the pot over. I then use pliers to grab ahold of the fabric and pull it away from the bottom roots. Once it’s free it slides right out.

I bought some fabric pots a few years ago that had openings on the sides of the pots that closed with Velcro. It made transplanting easier. Other than that, I have never been able to get a plant out of a smart pot without root damage. If I have to transplant, I almost always need to cut the bag off. Be prepared to have to do this if the plant does not come out easily. Better to damage the pots than destroy the roots.

I find semi wet is the best--wet enough that the soil stays together, but not so wet that it is mud-like.

Latest posts

Back