Skinny Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiegrower

Mmm...tasty
Reaction score
My plants are about 2-1/2 weeks old and are qite skinny. I am using general potting soil, and Sta-Green 19-6-12 plant food with flourescent bulbs. Any suggestions about how to bulk up their stems?

Additional Info: There are three plants. They are in an area that is about 2' x 2' x 2.5'. They are under a 15 watt flourecent that claims to put out the light of a 60 watt. Until yesterday the light was probably about a foot or so above the tops of the plants, and now it's about 4" inches because I modified it. I also have a 60 watt heating bulb but i haven't been using it b/c I was afraid too much light in such a small space would heat them up too much and make them curl.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Keep the light as close as possible. Maybe upgrade the light, or just add more lumens.

Yeah that is way to small for that age. What you got for light on it? You probably shouldnt be feeding her nutes before the age of three weeks. Maybe try some better soil.

mabe some more light? how many you have in there? and you dont need to be using nutes unless you want this to happen:hitchair:

Try lightly bending the stem around in all directions for 5 or so seconds every now and then to get thicker stems. Works for me great. Anybody know if the larger stem means an increase in how much water/nutes the plant can take up?

Looks like it is stretching due to lack of light. What sort of floresents and how far do you have them away? Once you fix up the light issue, try putting a fan on them (LIGHTLY at first). The movement of the plant by the fan causes small ruptures in the cell walls of the stem, and the plant repairs them, building mass and thickness.

But as most people here said, light looks to be the problem, you need to fix that first. And lay off the nutes, they are too young. Try starting the nutes when the first false set of leaves start to turn color and die, and then only at 1/4 the strength recommended. Build up from that when you are sure you are not burning them.

There are three plants. They are in an area that is about 2' x 2' x 2.5'. They are under a 15 watt flourecent that claims to put out the light of a 60 watt. Until yesterday the light was probably about a foot or so above the tops of the plants, and now it's about 4" inches because I modified it. I also have a 60 watt heating bulb but i haven't been using it b/c I was afraid too much light in such a small space would heat them up too much and make them curl.

Solution: stronger lights and put them closer to the plant 2 inches away if possible the less light you have, the more it will be a problem.
after that put a fan to blow at the babies, the constant wind movement will strenghten the stem and build a stronger plant, my plants are just a little bit bigger than yours and i can honestly blow air on them 2 inches apart and they barely move. Good Luck :aok:

Newbiegrower said:
I also have a 60 watt heating bulb but i haven't been using it b/c I was afraid too much light in such a small space would heat them up too much and make them curl.

Buy some CFL's. I assume this 60W heating bulb you call it is a regular light bulb, you are right, this will generate too much heat. But you're only partially right - light doesn't equal heat. A hot bulb is an inefficent bulb, because most of the electricity it draws is creating heat, not light. Looks like you are trying to do it cheap, pick up some CFL's (those are the twirly environmentally friendly ones that are all the rage). They are environmentally friendly because they use electricity to create light, not heat. and you mentioned your space is 2x2x 2.5'. I assume you know that the 2 and a half feet isn't going to be practical for very long, even a short plant will need about 2 feet not including the pot, and space for the lights.

Well, the roof of that 2' space is a shelf that i can raise later...so I don't think that will be a problem. As far as the lighting goes, I'll look into what you suggested...thanks for the help!! : )

Hey Disco, just noticed your avatar, whats up ith florida?:holysheep:

newbie grower, if your using floros or cfls you can have them as close as 1 inch from the plant. as you had yours at 1 foot away for a while that is most probably why.

Also, as for not giving nutes for the first 3 weeks in my opinion is **** cos my 3 week old plant has been having organic nutes for 2 weeks now and is loving it! :D I think it just depends on the NPK and maybe it helps if its organic. nutes i been using so far are Baby Bio: 10.6 - 4.4 - 1.7 and Fish Blood and Bone: 5 - 5 - 6.5 and they are working great!

Haha. Auburn Alum and a friend made that for our tailgate one year. Thought it was hilarious.

Newbiegrower if possible will you change your atavar picture. That's puffinafattys. Just if you want to. I'm sure he would appriciate it.

You need some serious wattage to get them moving along. TRy some 125 watt flouro's.

I b aught a 150 watt cfl that puts out 3700 lumes itself...I am leaning towards cfl's for veg in the near future. as of now I run 1000 HD...and 1000Hps 4 flower and my electric bill is up there..2x2 is 4 square feet that would need a min of 12000 lumes and 20000 lumes would be best..look at the bulb or package it will say the lumes..Good Luck my FRIEND

headband said:
Newbiegrower if possible will you change your atavar picture. That's puffinafattys. Just if you want to. I'm sure he would appriciate it.

headband... that's not Puffin's personal avi... it's a generic avi that ANYONE can choose to use...

More lights and closer to the plants. They are stretching for light. Also, what is your light schedule 24/0 or 18/6? 24/0 helps out with stretching a bit.

Latest posts

Back