slow growth or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaujiram_Es

Reaction score
so i got me these two. purple wreck and sensi star. they are 21 days old today

they're growing in soil under a 400w hps about 20 in away.

i water with distilled water (my tap water blows..)

started a light feeding at one week old every other watering with some 30-10-10 i had lying around. no burn as of yet.

temps are 73-76 during lights on and ~60 or a little colder at night.

i have them in a box with fresh air vented in from outside at 250 cfm and the exhaust is more than that.

on paper it seems everything is in order but in reality its been 21 days and im on my third node of growth. whats the most likely culprit? im guessing its one common problem but just cant figure it out

is it getting to cold at night?

the sensi's leaves are massive as you can see. the over hang the 5in pot pic 1 2 and 4 pic 3 is the purple

051.JPG

049.JPG

048.JPG

050.JPG

Hello Se Marijuana :)

Click 'Quote' at the bottom right of my post and fill this in ;)

:peace:

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?

What STRAIN are you growing?

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)

What is the age of your plants?

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?

How Tall are the plants?

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)

What Nutrient's are you using?

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*

How often are you feeding?

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?

How often are you watering?

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?

What size bulb are you using?

What is the distance to the canopy?

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)

What is the canopy temperature?

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?

Is your water HARD or SOFT?

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?

Are you using water from a water softener?

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?

Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

How long has this problem been going on?

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)

What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)

What STRAIN are you growing?

What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)

What is the age of your plants?

How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)

How tall are the plants?

What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?

What Technique are you using?

What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)

What is the Water temperature?

What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?

What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*

How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)

How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)

What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using?

What is the pH of the "Tank"?

Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment?

When was your last watering?

What is your water temps?

When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)

How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?

What size bulb are you using?

What is the distance to the canopy?

What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?

What is the canopy temperature?

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?

Is your water HARD or SOFT?

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?

Are plant's infected with pest's

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Se Marijuana :)

Click 'Quote' at the bottom right of my post and fill this in ;)

:peace:

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on? eerr 21 days

What STRAIN are you growing? purple wreck and sensi star

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed

What is the age of your plants? 21 days

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? since germination

How Tall are the plants? both are about 3 inches

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? veg

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 5 inch pots

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
just in some regular potting soil. no nutes or moisture control
What Nutrient's are you using? Miracid 30-10-10 at 1/4 strength

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* 1 teaspoon per gal

How often are you feeding? every other watering

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?

How often are you watering? when the soils dry about an inch or so down

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? yesterday

What size bulb are you using? 400w hps

What is the distance to the canopy? 18-20 inches

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) my meter fried but its always around 40-50%

What is the canopy temperature? 74

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 70-76....55-60

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 250 cfm fresh outside air

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? vents run with the lights. the veg box is 16/8

Is the fan blowing directly at plants? there is an 8in oscillating fan blowing on them

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? more on the moist side normally. then i let it dry before watering again
Is your water HARD or SOFT? distilled = nuetral

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?distilled

no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? no

Are plant's infected with pest's? no

I would check the PH, you are using miracid and im sure your PH is off.

would the best route be to flush them with just st8 distilled water and get some better nutes for future feedings?

To answer your question:
IMO they are too small for their age.
I have 3 x Blue Mystic and 2 x Black Domina and apart from the runt, they look at least as big and I think bigger - and this is two weeks from putting them in the soaking water to germinate. And I am only using a 150W HPS, not a 400!

Im no expert but the few things i've picked up from the questionaire (nice one HIE)

Watering: if I've read it right I think you might be over-watering, when you say 'when the soil is dry an inch or so down' you actually want to only water them when pretty much all the water in the soil has been absorbed. If the top half of soil is dry but the bottom half still has water in it, when your water again you'll end up causing problems with the root system (mold etc). like I said im no expert and as your doing most things right maybe i've misread your answer.

The other thing is the Osc fan, 8" on those lil uns is a fair breeze - is it directly at the plants or over the top of them? I found the breeze of a fan in particular makes the stem a lot thicker and this could slow the vertical growth a bit but other than that im a bit stuck. Have you got a min/max thermometer to see how cold it is getting at night? i've read about phosphorus lockout at certain low temps so might be worth getting a definate temp reading at the coldest times as I don't think you really want to go much lower than 60f. Personally i'd also transplant them to bigger pots, this way you can take a look at how healthy the roots are at the same time.

g'luck mate and don't give up on them!

p.s other thing I noticed, as your not using any pearlite or vermiculite you don't have much airage/drainage going on in your soil and if you are slightly over-watering them then this will compound the problem! I'd get some pearlite, some more soil, bigger pots and transplant (heard epsom salts are good for when your transplanting, or maybe a touch of superthrive to give them a lil pick-me up).

thanks guys! hers a few answers.

leafminer - yeah dude i actually was just readin thru that thread. i agree. these girls are too small! i thot i had everything goin in the right direction but now its time to take a step back and fix.

robbie - i think i am in fact over watering them. the fan is actually a burly lil guy. old as hell but its the best. its blowing straight thru the plants. i got a mom in there as well and shes lways shakin. the temps at night ( i do have a min/max) are 50!! i just checked it. way to cold huh?

now,
how does one keep the heat up at night? i have the fans shut off with the lights to hold some of the heat and stop the cold night air from coming in.

ive thougth about insulation but id realy not like to go that way just because of space. ive already got the boxes made to fit in a certain area for the ligths im using

thanks for the help already guys. im getin a new ph test kit and il adjust accordingly and repot right now! its sunny so il check and see whos talkin when im done. pics too

ahh you'll have to forgive me, I think its 50-55f is the lowest you want to be looking at with lights off so while they shouldn't die I don't think 50f is ideal. Your lights on temps are fine though :)

Well i've got a similar fan set up to you (cold air coming in) but as it's really cold anyway im gonna be forced to run a lil heater when my lights are off to help with the ambient temps, hoping to keep it at least above the 55f mark.

As for the fan what you have to remember is, is that your replicating nature... Fan=breeze so you don't need much more power than you blowing gently with your own mouth. I tend to put mine on a low'ish level blowing slightly up through the canopy. Its not the wind blowing on the stem that makes it fat (allowing increase fluid takup), by blowing along the tops you make the plant think it needs to strengthen/fatten it's stem to stop it blowing sideways and away from the 'sun' which is it's natural growth direction (think of it as stem conditioning). This way you don't stress the plant by nearly ripping it out the ground with a gale force wind! ;)

Oh and personally I don't even have the fan on for the first week or 2 and if I do I just use it to circulate the air in the growroom. I believe that as new borns they don't need that extra stress of fighting a breeze while their developing but thats just me... Then again it might also explain why the mom is still doing okay - she can handle it.. Just a theory mind!

Sorry for going on... I blame the 'erb! :)

so. a few bowls and a trip to the nursery i have a remedy.

new medium. some shiza called growers best media. really nice peat base with perlite. also got a bag of coco medium. prety cool stuff i like it.

transplanted the babies and watered with ph adjusted to ~6.5
-i got a drip test kit and am testing the run-off

i also picked up some foxfarm growbig. seems to be the best from what ive read. il start that after another good 6.5ph watering. let the girls relax for a couple of days

the PW is kinda droopy right now but the SS is looking better already. they should start to go nuts in a couple of days now right?

061.JPG

056.JPG

059.JPG

054.JPG

058.JPG

062.JPG

dont be shocked if it takes a week or more..you just shocked them changeing soil....( which was right on:aok: ) ...the soils dont look to bad...when Ya water be sure to saturate the soil good..Then allow to dry completly...Now i recall the temps you had was 50f at night? we need to try and bring up to 60 at lowest from what Ive learned...esspecially for youngins..I would wait atleast a week or two b4 giveing nutes as i think the soil you have is fine for transplant..when she is ready start with 1 teaspoon to a gallon of PH water...im a pull up my crate and fallow along if ya dont mind...Im a lover of Fax farm..and cocco/soil..Sending some Mojo for the Grow:lama: take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

thnk alot man!. how would one get his temps to 60? the fans for both vent/exhaust turn off with the lights (to try and hold some heat)

does the temp dipping that low (50 F*) effect them hugely? he lights are off for only 8 hours. the rest of the 16 its 76 and sunny

once these guys come back and the clones i took from my mum are rooted im going to start a journal. now that ive seen the error of my ways...:eek:

you think ph was the biggy? and now that its goin in the right direction theyll grow at a much faster pace right?

how is ol fox farm nutes? from what ive read they're fantastic "steroids for weed" is what i think i saw. do you concurr?

keep a look out and il be looking foward to smoking a bowl while we all play the waiting game for our girls:bong: :watchplant:

ahh that may be another problem - when your vegging you want the lights on for at least 18hrs IMO - I always go 24/7 cos im a carbon footprint wh0re like that ;) Other than that - good rescue job i'd say. Give 'em a week or so and see how they go, like 4u2 says I wouldn't worry about feeding them for a water or 2 because your soil prob has nutes in it already?

As for the watering method, have a quick read up on the 'wet/dry cycle' sticky in this forum, will explain a bit better about the importance of watering them properly. G'luck 'n here's some more green grow mojo!

anaujiram_Es said:
thnk alot man!. how would one get his temps to 60? the fans for both vent/exhaust turn off with the lights (to try and hold some heat)

does the temp dipping that low (50 F*) effect them hugely? he lights are off for only 8 hours. the rest of the 16 its 76 and sunny

once these guys come back and the clones i took from my mum are rooted im going to start a journal. now that ive seen the error of my ways...:eek:

you think ph was the biggy? and now that its goin in the right direction theyll grow at a much faster pace right?

how is ol fox farm nutes? from what ive read they're fantastic "steroids for weed" is what i think i saw. do you concurr?

keep a look out and il be looking foward to smoking a bowl while we all play the waiting game for our girls:bong: :watchplant:

I think you're headed in the right direction marijuanaspelledbackwards... ;)
temps below about 60F will inhibit growth for sure, ph is "crucial".. and plants will utilize/photosynthesize/grow under 24/0 better. Unless you have a requirement that restricts you to less hours, give them every oppurtunity, give them 24/0.

get your ph right and leave the light on 24/7 while vegging, especially with those low temps. You will have to do something when you go to flower if those low temps continue.

I would say this is also some of your problem :

"started a light feeding at one week old every other watering with some 30-10-10 i had lying around. no burn as of yet."

And this:

Miracid 30-10-10 at 1/4 strength

Seedlings do not need (or want) any nutes for 3-4 weeks. And when you start feeding them, you should really use a good quality nute made for mj. Do you know what your ppms are? I use GH Flora Nova products--the grow formula is 7-4-10--that is quite a difference from the 30-10-10 you are using.

good job fixing the problem it was the soil to begin with it didnt have no perlite the roots couldnt breath causing stunting of new growth

thanks guys. evryone seems to be much happier today, the PW is perky again so now im just gona let the new media dry out and start with some ph adjusted water.

also -
went and grabed some GrowBig to have on hand once the babes recover and are growing again.

is that big bloom stuff worth its salt? i put a little bit of bat guano in with my soil before hand so i think im good for a wile right.

aaannnddd.

do all those other (open sesame, beastie budz, cha ching etc.) supplements really help?

If your night time temps are too low, I suggest you do what I do: run the lamps at night and leave them off during the day. In my case I do this because the daytime temperatures are too high with the lamps on. The plants don't care if it is 'really' day or night, they just want a nice cosy light cycle.

Latest posts

Back