Smart Pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budz4me

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on smart pots? I need new pots for the next batch I am growing....I wouldnt think that they would be ideal for indoors due to the high drainage (and having the plants sitting in the runoff,etc)...am I wrong?

I was looking at the 3g pots due my tent only being 6 feet tall. I would need the extra headroom for my cool tube and such.

I like them and use them.

I use airpots, same concept. You just use a catch basin to fit the pot. If your feeding that much nutrient mixture to have that much run off, your feeding too much. A tiny bit they will drink up in no time. Unless your flushing the plant, then I could see some plain water run off that needed to be dumped out or sucked up with wet vac, sump pump, etc.

thank you guys, good advice from experienced growers...awesome!

I love smart pots, i have used the 1 gallon up to the 10 gallon. Just get those nice plastic saucers that fit under them and it is great. You can't believe the difference in the roots grown in them and without. huge.. Mojo!

I use them and love them. I have run a side by side and got bigger yields in the SP's. I like to stick with one gallon pots normally, but that is tough with Smart Pots since they dry out quicker and require watering more often. I will be going to 2 gallon SP's but sticking with 1 gallon regular pots. I am happy with my yields so why change it up...

ok ok , great advice! But now that I know I should use them, with a flowering tent of 6' I ma guessing that 3 gallon pots is enough? Height is a concern of course.

My first grow ever was in a 3g pot and its tipping the scales on my 5 foot tent!

budz4me said:
ok ok , great advice! But now that I know I should use them, with a flowering tent of 6' I ma guessing that 3 gallon pots is enough? Height is a concern of course.

3 gallon Smart Pots will work great. You will want to use some training techniques on them. Like LST and topping or fimming. I like to use pipe cleaners and bend the hell out of the plant.

Hamster Lewis said:
3 gallon Smart Pots will work great. You will want to use some training techniques on them. Like LST and topping or fimming. I like to use pipe cleaners and bend the hell out of the plant.

never fimmed, not comfy with doing that quite yet. But, I do use yarn and thumb tacks to LST the plant. Just tack the yarn to the rim of the bucket, as long as you leave some slack you can always adjust

LOL--there is nothing to fimming. Just take the top growing tip and pinch off about 1/2 of it--we're talking about taking 1/2" or so. I use my fingernails, but if you don't have them, a clean pair of scissors will work just fine.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I use my fingernails, but if you don't have them, a clean pair of scissors will work just fine.

Of course he doesn’t have them.......how could he? They're your fingernails ;)

Hamster Lewis said:

Please help me understand. Would 3-gallon pots work fine in organic growing with no nutrients (i.e. just plain tap water throughout the entire grow)?

I use Super Soil (a modified version), and used 7-gallon pots my last grow. I used nothing but tap water the entire grow. Worked pretty well. But I was thinking of using 10-gallon pots this grow. Am I over-doing it on pot size?

Thanks.

I have used 1 gallon, 3 gallon, and 5 gallon in organic grows.

The smaller the pot the more teas I feed them

PokeyPuppy420 said:
Please help me understand. Would 3-gallon pots work fine in organic growing with no nutrients (i.e. just plain tap water throughout the entire grow)?

I use Super Soil (a modified version), and used 7-gallon pots my last grow. I used nothing but tap water the entire grow. Worked pretty well. But I was thinking of using 10-gallon pots this grow. Am I over-doing it on pot size?

Thanks.

I don't understand your question. The size of the pot is usually determined by the space you have to grow. How much room do you have and how much light...etc. Was your 7 gallon pot root bound?

pcduck said:
I have used 1 gallon, 3 gallon, and 5 gallon in organic grows.

The smaller the pot the more teas I feed them

I would like to use enough super-charged soil that I don't have to feed them anything but tap water the entire grow. Am I dreaming? Or would 7 or 10 gallon pots of really good soil do this for me?

Thanks.

Rosebud said:
I don't understand your question. The size of the pot is usually determined by the space you have to grow. How much room do you have and how much light...etc. Was your 7 gallon pot root bound?

Last 2 grows, I used 7-gallon plastic pots in a 3.5 x 3.5 x 8 grow room with a 600-watt HPS for flowering...got pretty good results, but grew easy-grow plants (Northern Lights, AK47)...at harvest I noticed a bit of "root-bounding", but will use Smart Pots this grow...used a hot soil mix...Super Soil...

It is my understanding you use different amounts of supersoil vs other soil ratio according to the needs of the particular strain your growing......... you also have to figure in how long you veg the plants.

Grower13 said:
It is my understanding you use different amounts of supersoil vs other soil ratio according to the needs of the particular strain your growing......... you also have to figure in how long you veg the plants.

Yes, the bottom third of the pot gets pure Super Soil; the middle third gets a 50/50 mix of Super Soil and Roots Organic; and the top third gets pure Roots Organic.

With an option of top-dressing with pure Super Soil later, if needed.

I veg until I see signs of pre-sex...

But I'm a relatively new grower...with a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back