smoking marijuana and pregnancy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock

Reaction score
Hi, A to be grandmother is concerned with her daughter in law is pregnant and smoking marijuana (the mother in law) sat and watched her daughter in law smoke 3 joints in a short time. the daughter in law also smokes cigarettes.
Does anyone know what the risks are.
Where may I find more info. on this subject.

Thanks

peacock said:
Hi, A to be grandmother is concerned with her daughter in law is pregnant and smoking marijuana (the mother in law) sat and watched her daughter in law smoke 3 joints in a short time. the daughter in law also smokes cigarettes.
Does anyone know what the risks are.
Where may I find more info. on this subject.

Thanks
Hey peacock, I can tell you're going to be a good Grandma. The risks are huge when dealing with anything being introduced into an unborn person.

It's also like Russian Roulette. It may or may not affect the baby after it's birth. It may or may not affect it's development much later.

There are about a thousand things that are possible for it to do that are not good.

I did a "Google" on "Smoking Pregnancy" and got 2,160,000 results.

I did a "Google" on "Marijuana Pregnancy" and got 3,230,000 results.

I would suggest that you start with the most obvious results and work your way through them until they start sounding the same.

Then make an appointment with your family doctor for yourself, and discuss it with her/him in the Doctors office.

After that discussion, you'll be prepared to discuss it with your Daughter with information to back up what you're saying.

The primary thought should be that the baby is taking in every single thing that the Mother is. The Mother has the choice of harming herself or not, but she really doesn't have the moral right to harm the baby through apathy or intent.

Please research this and follow it up with an MD. If your Daughter is willing, (I doubt it), take her with you to the Doctors office.

Keep in mind that there may be nothing you can do. If your Daughter has made her mind up to continue what she's doing regardless of the potential for harm, then only time will tell the effects on the other person she's forcing to participate.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Hello Peacock :)

If your go to the very bottom of this page you will find other discussions on this subject :)

:peace:

I have a friend who is a licensed midwife and I've asked her about this very thing.

While my personal opinion is that it's better to obstain during pregnancy, she said it can really help eleviate severe morning sickness and help with labor and delivery.

I never smoked anything during my 3 pregnancies. Whats 10 months of not smoking in the grand scheme of things? I take that back. I did have a 2 pk a day cig habbit when I got preg with my 1st. I quit almost immediately and still don't smoke those nasty things.

I think perhaps the thing that is overlooked the most is NOT what it does for or against the Mother, but what it does to the baby who ingests it at the same time and at the same concentrations as the Mother who weighs about a thousand times what the baby does initially. The Babies dosage of a 3 joint party would be 3,000 joints worth to the Mother.

Just a thought. It's kind of like booze with the weight thing. How much it affects you depends on your body mass.

Good or bad, the amount that Mama takes in will have a hell of a lot more effect on a baby who only weighs a fraction of what the Mommy does.

If a 50 pound kid smoked a joint the same size as a full grown adult did, who was acclimated to MJ, the kid would pass out in minutes. Probably with severe dizziness and not so happy of a time. Now think about an unborn person who weighs a 50th of what that kid does.

NOT smoking it sure won't hurt the child. It's 9 Months until her body is hers alone again. I would think a Mothers love would make the most sure safe possibility the best and that is NOT using anything while the baby is inside her body.

Just my feelings on the subject. If smoking does good for Mommy, it may not be good for the baby, so Mommy can deal with it while abstaining.

SmokingMom, I'm so glad you managed to kick that addiction. I also smoked for more than 40 years. It took a massive heart attack to convince me to quit them.

Smoking whilst pregnant is morally wrong fair play if you want to inflict damage on yourself thats your choice but for you to do the same on your unborn defenceless bairn is soo wrong.

Time4Plan-B

Time4Plan-B said:
Smoking whilst pregnant is morally wrong fair play if you want to inflict damage on yourself thats your choice but for you to do the same on your unborn defenceless bairn is soo wrong.

Time4Plan-B
Many of us in the USA are unfamiliar with your usage of the word "bairn". For those who are interested in knowing it's meaning in context:

BAIRN

A bairn, wean, child or littlin is a youthie body, a lad or lass. Whiles a bairn is defined as bein a body afore the oncome o puberty, a body afore the end o puberty, a body unner the age o majority, or itherweys. The term micht can define a relationship wi a paurent or authority feegur an aw, or seegnifee group membership in a clan, tribe, or releegion; or it can seegnifee bein fell affectit by a specific time, place, or circumstance, as in "we're aw Jock Tamson's bairns" or "a child o the Saxties."

Time4Plan-B, I'm guessing Scotland?

think what you all want, but my girlfriend smoked straight through both pregancy and guess what, my child is so damn smart. The other is not that old yet but he seems to be ahead of the others.
She could not eat all day till she did smoke. So which is worst, smoking and eating or not smoke and not eat. Oh and i am not talkin' bout 2 or 3 hits. More like an 1/8 of killer nug.

Hi yimmy im not stating you shouldnt do what you want to do im just stating the medical evidence of smoking whilst pregnant.

Im glad your children are well and gifted but the other end of the spectrum is some babies are born all messed up because their mums were smoking or drinking or injecting.

Im not after an argument im just saying my threpence.

Time4Plan-B

Reactions: GMT
For the sake of your unborn child do not use cannabis, do not smoke any tobacco and try to keep it to one glass of wine a night....

Or else you end up with me...and you don't want that. Trust me.

A couple sets of friends have adopted kids in need from such. One of them was from a woman who grew, sold, and smoked pot. Nothing else really. But she was a user her entire pregnancy. The kids 20 now, is undersized (bout 5 foot, 120lbs, like a horse jockey) has severe bipolar disorders which keep him in jail. Cant stay out 3 months, no matter the help the family or courts try to provide for him. Has some other health problems, like a hole in his heart I believe, not positive off hand as to what all else is wrong with him.

I know if I caught one of my boys women toking while pregnant. It would be taken from her. The hard way.
"POW! Right in the kisser." - Jackie Gleeson

Latest posts

Back