Some indoor growing questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Reaction score
I read up on a sticky of how to grow and everything but I still have a few questions. I'll count myself as a beginner since when I grew which was about 3 years ago I didn't do it at all right. I just got the soil, put the seed in, and had a normal light right over it. Grant it, it did sprout and was growing but it wasn't right. So now I am looking at doing everything right.

Now that I have read the sticky I understand that right after germinating the vegetative stage is first. I read that it said to keep the lights on for atleast 18 hours during this stage.

Next is the Flowering stage. The sticky said you start this when the plant gets about 12" tall. Also this stage is were it gets less light.

Now comes the lovely questions lol.

For soil and plant food/nutrients I read that they said the best is Miracle Grow Patio Food. Would I use this soil for the veggy and flowering stage? OR will I have to change the soil during the stages? Also I didn't understand much on the additives you are going want to add to the soil to help your plant out, if anyone can give me input on that I highly appreciate it.

Me and my friend are going be building a box to grow the plants in, but on the sticky I saw it said its best for you to have a seperate box for the flowering stage. Were going use the same box for flowering as well as veggying so my question is since were going hook up some fans in the box, when it comes to the flowering stage should we just cover the holes were the fans are so no light gets in and just don't use the fans? Or should we be using the fans during flowering as well?

I really had other questions but I'm pretty high so I forget them now lol. I know they'll come to me soon and I will write them down so I don' forget.

I know me and my friend need some good advise on what to plant the seeds in far as soil. I notice alot of people on here have there plants in pots with brown balls, I don't know if thats a type of soil or a better one so any input on what to use for soil and all would be great.

I feel like I am repeating myself right now so I'll shut up and think of those other questions.

For soil I think miracle grow brand might be ok, but i used to use fox farm. I think fox farm is better IMO. As far as nutrients go for feeding, I would never use miracle grow. Get yourself some good name brand nutrients that are made specifically for MJ. You could go with advanced nutrients, GH, or dutchmaster to name a few. They have all the right amounts of nutrients tailor made for MJ. However if you use fox farm or miracle grow soil, you won't need to start feeding for at least a month because there are nutrients in the soil.

As far as your question on fans for flowering, Do Not cover the holes. Keep the fans going because fresh air is very important for the health of your plants. To solve the light issue, get some ducts to connect to the fans and bend them until no light gets into the box, but a steady supply of air still does.

Yea I have heard good things with fox farm so maybe we will use that. For the nutrients would HD or Lowes sell any good ones or would a growing store be better off to find them?

Im using 20-20-20 from Home Depot, should be roughly the same quality as most other triple-20. Also, dont get the Miracle Grow soil. If you go to Home Depot and get the soil in their tiny indoor garden section that contains peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, its great. I started with Miracle Grow and had tons of problems with gnats, so I switched to the one I recommended and its been great.

PS. If thats yours, thats a beautiful MkIV Supra

I Swear by Fox Farm ocean forest soil and this is my first grow.I have 2 plants that didn't make it into ff soil because I ran out so they are in some other stuff and they are embarrassing next to the ff plants.They look like they are runts.The color difference is incredible too.As far as nutes I have been using The fox farm big bloom,seems to work well.The ocean forest is good for 30 days with out any nutes.I had to travel 60 miles to get ff products in my area but is was well worth the trip.

I have had nothing problems when useing Miracle Grow products, stalls or stagnant periods that have cost time. Others have had some luck with it though. I use all and only Fox Farms PRODUCTS and have had no problems with either quality or my time table. I dont start flowering untill the girls are 18-24in tall, more veg = larger yield in most cases.
Also I never let plants at any stage share a pot, tangled roots can be a pain, not only to you but to your babies as well.
Lots of luck, take care.

I, personally, do not trust anything you get from a home improvement store. Most nutes there never seem to help.

im with you frankcos Foxfarm is amazing i grew for years with miracle grow i made it work but was allways having issues ph gnats and such i went with the foxfarm and i had to drive 140 miles to get mine lol i highly recommend foxfarm ocean forest man it works great

I wouldn't buy my nutes from anywhere but a grow store. Like I said, the nutes you find at a grow store are made specifically for growing MJ.

Ok cool I will go out and get Fox farm, just gotta find weren it is sold and I will get fox farm big bloom for nuts when it needs it.

Didn't mean to say sharing pots with plants I meant when the plant is in its pot, will I want to change the soil in the pot before flowering.

And yes that is my car :) Just not running right now:(

Ok just looked onto fox farms website and I found a dealer actaully about 5 mins from me WOO! Called them up and he carries all fox farm products the ocean forest is around $23 I belive he said and he'll give me a discount and the has the big bloom as well. Looks like I'll be checking them out tomarrow!

If i were you, I'd use a good compost instead of nutes. I first started growing with compost, and although i have never delved into the realm of nutrients, i have no desire to. You don't have to measure out nutrients and figure out if you're burning your plant or whatnot. You just water your plant and wait. Also, compost teas are highly beneficial, but i haven't got around to making any yet.

I probably should though...

Latest posts

Back