Storm of the Century

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcaman

Reaction score
As a native to Colorado of 51 years I have never seen this much rain over the last week, and more today and through the night. Some areas of the state have now received over 20 inches of rain in the last four days. That is two years worth of moisture in a week. Some of the rivers have gone off the flow charts at never seen levels. My heart and prayers go out to all that is impacted. I feeling blessed having to move last summer. Because where me and my wife were living for twenty years has now been evacuated since last Wednesday. Plus there is still no water or power. We would be displaced having to leave the grow behind. One of the worst things here is most people don't have flood insurance. It's going to be an interesting rebuild along the front range.

in Canada Toronto has never flooded like it did this summer, calgay and canmore, now colarado. get the arks out!!!
but maybe well get sick amounts of snow this yr also!!!

I'm hearing different numbers, but one count is still over 500 ppl unaccounted for. 1750 rescued by helicopter... My son's up near Greeley, says nothing but roofs can be seen many places. Barns 'n houses floating down the Platte and the Poudre. Hundreds if not thousands of cattle n horses stranded. It is BAAD...

Thanks hal... all good so far :) .If it ain't fire it's rain... craaaazy extremes

Hick said:
I'm hearing different numbers, but one count is still over 500 ppl unaccounted for. 1750 rescued by helicopter... My son's up near Greeley, says nothing but roofs can be seen many places. Barns 'n houses floating down the Platte and the Poudre. Hundreds if not thousands of cattle n horses stranded. It is BAAD...

My numbers might be off a little. Some insight from Colorado State University on this storm.

Colorado Climate Center compiling final data on the Great September Storm of 2013

September 15, 2013
How much rain fell on Colorado this week? And where? Colorado residents can help the weather experts at Colorado State University answer these questions.

In response to the incredible recent rains and flooding in parts of the state, the Colorado Climate Center will be mapping rainfall totals and graphing hourly intensities for the entire state for the period beginning Sunday, Sept. 8 (as storms first developed over southern Colorado) through the end of the storm.

"As is typical of Colorado storms, some parts of the state were hard hit and others were untouched. Still, this storm is ranking in the top ten extreme flooding events since Colorado statehood," said Nolan Doesken, State Climatologist at CSU. "It isn't yet as extreme or widespread as the June 1965 floods or as dramatic as the 1935 floods but it ranks right up there among some of the worst.”
Among the worst, according to Climate Center data, occurred in May 1904, October 1911, June 1921, May 1935, September 1938, May 1955, June 1965, May 1969, October 1970, July 1976, July 1981, and, of course, the Spring Creek Flood of July 1997 that ravaged Fort Collins and the CSU campus.
"Every flood event in Colorado has its own unique characteristics," said Doesken. "But the topography of the Colorado Front Range makes this area particularly vulnerable when the necessary meteorological conditions come together as they did this week."
Data from CoCoRaHS

Data from automated rain gauges maintained by several federal and local agencies will be combined with data from the National Weather Service's weather radar system and their volunteer Cooperative Observer and storm spotter networks. This will be compiled with rain gauge reports from over 1,000 volunteers who are active participants in the Community Collaborative Rain Hail and Snow Network (CoCoRaHS), which was formed in response to the Spring Creek Flood.
"While this may be the most thoroughly documented storm in our history with so much technology and observational data available, we still have many parts of our state where we don't know how much rain has fallen," Doesken said. "We realize that many people have weather stations and cameras, and sharing that data could help fill in the gaps to better document the timing of rainfall and its intensity and the patterns of subsequent flooding. Even just a measurement from a bucket that was left outdoors could be helpful -- provided you tell us the dimensions of the bucket."

Here are some current flows of some rivers and creeks out of control.

Bear Creek, Average flow this time of year. 30 CFS, At this time 1040 CFS

Big Thompson , Average flow this time of year. 50 CFS, At this time 4600 CFS

Cache La Poudre, Average flow this time of year 11 CFS, At this time 6000 CFS

These flow levels have never accrued even during spring run off.

glad your safe hickster---hope the same for your fam and the rest of our marp members in the thick of it

So glad you checked in Hick...Glad you are both ok. Mother nature ....

Glad you're safe, Hick . . . also glad you're still wearing the shower cap.

Might wanna go check n make sure they r still there hick and not downstream! :p

Hope everyone stays safe, water can be powerful,scary stuff.

I think I've seen all of the tsunami vids- absolutely insane.

I'm glad Hick is safe too. But it really makes me sad that the people here are very one sided and have no real concern. You have lost me as a member. CHOW!

I appreciate all concerns, and I can understand your dismay Orca. I think/hope folks are expressing their concerns for ALL of colorado....
17,494 homes damaged, 1,502 homes destroyed, 11,700 people evacuated, and 1,253 people unaccounted for, says Official about the Colorado Flooding.
The death toll is now up to 4, with hundreds missing in Colorado on Saturday as more rain falls in parts of Colorado that have already seen up to 15 inches. Another round of storms, dropping up to 3 inches of rain sell today, as rescues by the national gaurd continued.

Officials stated that more than 170 people were unaccounted for in the Boulder area, and about 350 missing in Larimer County due to the flooding.

About 15 miles North of Boulder, the National Guard began evacuating about 2,500 residents of Lyons at daybreak Friday, a town that had been completely blocked off by the massive flooding, leaving no way out.
The colorado flooding has affected a 4,500-square-mile area, about the size of Connecticut.

Officials are telling residents of the affected area that if they do not evacuate, to expect to be trapped for weeks on end without running water, electricity, or supplies.

Man, your heart goes out ..............I've never gone through anything like that. I can't even imagine what you do if you're a parent trying to keep it together..... wow. Hoping the best for all of them.

Orcaman said:
I'm glad Hick is safe too. But it really makes me sad that the people here are very one sided and have no real concern. You have lost me as a member. CHOW!

pretty bold statement for somebody here for such a short time---you have no idea of what my or anybody else's concerns are---pretty lame for you to turn well wishes of safety into a negative

good riddance

w t h ?!? Some people need to unclench their sphincters a few hundred psi. I'm sure all the well wishes was for all those affected by the floods in CO, not just to MP'ers.

Stay Safe People!

Orcaman said:

Lay off the coffee a bit, smoke a fattie...you'll feel better, and make more friends :)

storms scatter everything helter skelter...

bonds that form friendships into family can never be broken, because family are the friends that we all choose for ourselves...irish folklore...

hold steady orca. you were given big shoulders for more than just holding up your head in adversity. you are people passionate, and just what the community wants/needs to form bonds of growing together. weather the storm, be safe friend...grow kind...peace...

Latest posts

Back