Stretching/Vertical Growth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420THChef

So, by having the light farther away from the plant, regardless of the cons of doing so, would that necessitate stretching or an accelerated vertical growth?
:shocked:

If you do it during flower you can expect light airy buds also.....

420THChef said:
So, by having the light farther away from the plant, regardless of the cons of doing so, would that necessitate stretching or an accelerated vertical growth?
:shocked:

........curious... as to why you would want to stimulate vertical growth?

"Stretch" is usually not sought after, as it moves the mass of your plant 'further' from the benefits of the light, slows growth, and makes for weaker, less productive plants..
"Taller" does NOT mean more production/yeild, faster maturity, or faster growth, but quite the opposite.

I agree and disagree with Hick here...stretch...bad. Taller plants not always mean bigger yields...but may lol do it right and your plants will thank you for your efforts.

Roddy said:
I agree and disagree with Hick here...stretch...bad. Taller plants not always mean bigger yields...but may lol do it right and your plants will thank you for your efforts.

Stretch and vertical growth are not the same thing. You want to keep the nodes tight while increasing the plants size...but you don't want stretch which wld be a lot of space between nodes. A tall plant with big distances between nodes and a tall plant with tight node growth are not the same animal. Yes if you train your plants correctly (lst, super cropping, etc) you will increase yield. If you let your plant stretch not only will your yields not increase you will also be left with a tall spindly plant that will most likely have problems even standing up and unless you employ a lot of side lighting you will most likely have quite a bit of light airy buds. My Power Kush got away on me a bit and got stretched...the bottom half of the plant is pathetic yield and bud development wise. JMO

Thanks for your input everyone.

I have a unique training technique along with LST that, when done properly, yields favorable results.
The plants end up growing quicker, but like a muscle they are nourished after the strain and rebuilds its proteins larger and stronger.

I monitor the few plants i have under much scrutiny and measure and compare lapse photos for size and color changes regularly. I am very invested in my garden lol. I grow as if they were children I suppose. Also regularly play music. Mythbusters aside, music is shown to stimulate plant growth. uite noticeably in some cases.

Cool. Why don't you do a grow journal and share you way of growing with us.

LOL, I think we agree fully here, Hammy, that's why I said if done right....just wondering though, why Hick asked this: ........curious... as to why you would want to stimulate vertical growth?

Roddy said:
LOL, I think we agree fully here, Hammy, that's why I said if done right....just wondering though, why Hick asked this: ........curious... as to why you would want to stimulate vertical growth?

because vertical stretching is "usually" NOT something you want "stimulated".
"Vertical" growth, puts more of your plant. further from it's light source. Reducing the efficiency of your space.
it is why ppl train, top, super crop, FIM, ect. all processes that "inhibit" stretching your distance away from the light source.

"If done right".. is such a vague and elusive statement.
What would "you" consider.."right"?

View attachment 003[1].JPGi have recently taken over being a med caregiver the original grower let the plants grow, never trimming only watering and little nutes these plants all have stretched, at first the plants were cramped together they are in a bigger room now having more area and in turn more light what should i do they are still tall but i am dropping the light when i do top them so they will stop the stretch View attachment 019[1].JPG

johnp said:
View attachment 159921i have recently taken over being a med caregiver the original grower let the plants grow, never trimming only watering and little nutes these plants all have stretched, at first the plants were cramped together they are in a bigger room now having more area and in turn more light what should i do they are still tall but i am dropping the light when i do top them so they will stop the stretch View attachment 159922

You need way way way more light (among other things) for those if you hope to get anything at all. I recommend that you start your own thread and you will get way more responses.

Currently in process of moving my bud rooms to two 10'x14'x10' rooms, will be trying to grow 7' tall plants...we'll see how this works! ;)

:holysheep: with these plants and this light, i'll be surprised if you get more than stems and pistils as harvest. maybe couple of crappy joints lol i think you will need several kw of light to flower those monsters

Roddy said:

Currently in process of moving my bud rooms to two 10'x14'x10' rooms, will be trying to grow 7' tall plants...we'll see how this works!
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=662177&postcount=14 I hope that answered 'your' question satisfactory. Any chance of you returning the courtesy?..;)

10X14 is going to require somewhere around seven 1k hids for coverage..

The intensity of light observed from a source of constant intrinsic luminosity falls off as the square of the distance from the object. This is known as the inverse square law for light intensity.
Thus, if I double the distance to a light source the observed intensity is decreased to (1/2)2 = 1/4 of its original value.

At double the distance, the same light spreading out through clear air without being absorbed, falls on four times the area at double the distance but gives only a quarter of the illumination.
This is why we don't often see 7 foot tall plants indoors.

This thread lost me.

OP: Hope you got your answer

JohnP: You need to take cuts, if you want to keep that strain and trash those plants. Not worth the time and energy to finish those.

Roddy: 2, 10x14 bud rooms? You sure you know what your dealing with here? The cash to dial rooms like that is in the tens of thousands. I know.... As far as 7' plants. Thats so ridic I dont know where to begin. Hope you were joking. Not only would it be a nightmare to tie up, if indeed they do make it to a healthy 17 weeks or so, but the lumen loss would be ridic also as far as penetration to the lower canopy. Indoor plants are geared to be trained or topped and keep them as low as possible. As said, just because you grow a 7' plant doesnt mean it will yield heavily. I could out yield a 7' with a 2' and have a much easier grow session as far as many factors.

Latest posts

Back