Supporting Stretchy Sprouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wise Man

Green-Leaf-Smoker
Reaction score
In no way did i come up with this idea,just thought i would share the idea,and make a small tutorial on it.

What you need
Scissors
Straw/s
Stretchy sprout/s

First.Roughly estimate,or just measure how much straw you will need to wrap around them stem,from the soil to the 'oval shaped' leaves.

straw lengths skewed.JPG

Now,slice the straw vertically like shown.Then go wrap the straw around the the sprouts stem,and gently push the straw into the soil-1/2cm will be fine.

101_110500000000000.JPG

SS sprout-straw skewed99999999.JPG

This is the sprout a few weeks after i added the straw.Its now standing up by itself.

SS2sideshotll.JPG

Why not just bring the pots inside and put them under a 250 mh ( I picked a used one up for like $50.00)until the sun decides to come out. Good luck with your problem.:bongin:

Do you remove the straw afterwards?
What about if the plant out grows the straw?
Dro:cool2:

Dr.Dro said:

Since he sliced the straw vertically, it will just open up as the stem gets fatter and stronger, at which time he can just pull the straw off. :)

This method also works very nicely as a splint if you accidentally break the stem while tying it down.

Dr.Dro said:
As the plant gets older its stem will thicken up and support itself so yeh you can take it off after its stablised itself.

Just like AB said.Eventually the straw will pop off.

LoveTheGreen said:
Why not just bring the pots inside and put them under a 250 mh ( I picked a used one up for like $50.00)until the sun decides to come out. Good luck with your problem.:bongin:
If i had the option of doing so,i would just keep them inside.But because i dont,the straw method will have to do;)

If you didnt already know,Im geurilla growing so it's a tough task brining the plants in,then taking them back out again.

Latest posts

Back