T5 dwc scrog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D34TH

Reaction score
Hello I have used flood tables before but now I'm in a state which is soon to be legal once the right bill comes to pass for it.

My idea I got bouncing around in my head is use my bat wings for veg 600 watt ballast and 2 fluorescent 8 lamp 4 foot 52 watt H.O. red spectrum for my bloom 832 watts of power. I plan on having 2 plants in a flat scrog with a 20 gallon D.W.C. for each and running hard aeration. yeah i know *ss backwards people normally want things done on the light front but what do you think, my reasoning is t5 have far tinier stims and still same bud density.
Any tips or ideas, I will be getting all my room ready before the bill passes so I'll be ready by then.

-D34TH

If you want the best results? Get 6500K bulbs for the T5 and use that for veg and get HPS bulb for the 600w and use that for flowering. The veg period doesn't need as much light as the flowering does. The T5 light is great light but it doesn't penetrate far like the Hps does.
The HPS is not a good bulb for vegging and most metal halide bulbs are not that good for veg unless they are made to give the 6500K spectrum. You will get more, better yield doing it this way rather than backwards.

If you decide to Flower with the HoT5s make sure you use the 2700 or 3000k bulbs.

so get a 8 lamp H.O. 6500k and run my 600 watt hps bat wings on bloom i was planning on doing the exact opposite on the color spectrum but with 16 H.O. floros. I also probably need to get a vented hood on the hps just to make life easier, right?

Yeah you definitely want a vented hood so that you can pull the heat away from the bulb. It will make keeping the temps balanced in the flower space better.

You can do it the opposite way but you really would be wasting the extra lumens from the HPS/MH on the vegging plants as they only need about 60% of the lumens needed for flowering. I guarantee you that you will easily get 30% more yield flowering with the HID versus the floros.

oh if I go high intensity route I will definitely go Hps 600-1000 watts reason on not going any higher than 1000 watts because of the power bill until i get more established but I will be doing a DWC scrog no matter what light route I go. Appreciate the input.

Just remember that there is more than one way to do a successful grow so don't let yourself get locked into one mindset. You really have to find the method that works best for you and your unique situation. The key to your lighting though is a constant that should be closely adhered too. That is the formula of 3000+ lumens of ~6500k light per square foot of lighted area for vegging, and 5000+ lumens of ~3000K light per sqft of lighted area for flowering.

You get variances in this when you begin considering things like light height and light types. But if you want to flower 4 plants in a 4'x4, 4'x8', or 5'x10' space, you can't do all of those with just one 600w or 1000w HID. You have to match the lighting to the space. If you have a room that is 8'x12' and you want to grow 2 plants and you put one 600w HPS over them, they will do ok, but they will do far better if you close in that space around the 2 plants(with reflective walls) that is well ventilated.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that why we are here :)

It is hard to talk about just wattage as different types of light put out differing amounts of lumens per watt. And as we are using lumens to figure lighting, I think that we should talk about that. For instance, you probably think that 832 watts of T5 is more light than 600W of HPS, but that would be incorrect. The T5s put out between 92 and 100 lumens per watt, while a 600W HPS will put out 150 lumens per watt. So, the 600W HPS actually puts out about 50% more usable light than a T5 of like wattage. And the HPS will penetrate better. Equally important is the color spectrum. You are going to want something in the blue range (6500K) to veg and something in the red range (2500-3000K) for flowering. You might want to read up a bit more on lighting needs for cannabis.

I anticipate that you will need an air coolable hood. We have talked a lot about lighting, but nothing about ventilation, which is almost as important as your lighting. Have you considered your ventilation and have the correct equipment?

Latest posts

Back