Tent Growers Club....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sMACkaddict said:
Did I not qualify?? :confused:

sMACk

Lol...you qualify brosef. Just because JAAM came to mind doesn't mean you don't qualify.

haha Im not runnin LEDS, jsut tryin to join the exclusive, world renowned tent growers club bra...

I hope thats you in the avatar, hamster... or your owner I guess...

sMACk

420ftw said:
Has anyone tested the LED lights in a tent?

I was thinking about trying with a BlackStar light in a tent.

Many have tested leds...You don't need a tent to test junk lights.:p

sMACkaddict said:
haha Im not runnin LEDS, jsut tryin to join the exclusive, world renowned tent growers club bra...

I hope thats you in the avatar, hamster... or your owner I guess...

sMACk

Bro you are more then welcome to join. I will be the first to admit I don't always get around to checking the new memberships in a timely fashion. :p Just follow the directions in post #1 of this thread and I will approve you.

Alright so check that...I just approved you since it seems you have already signed up. I sure wish it would send me a notification when people sign up. Anywho, welcome aboard. When you get a chance post up a pic or two of your set up.

I was specificlly looking at this LED light

vvv.bcledgrow.ca/240wuv_blackstar_led_growing_light.html

sMACK
:welcome:

You've finally made it into the club :D

I bring PROOF!:hubba:

I had to take 2 photos so you could get the whole picture ;)
tent1.jpg
tent2.jpg

sMACk

I have read the arguements on the use of LEDs and decided to do some research myself. I don't want to sound arrogant on the subject but This is my opinion from what I have learned. LEDs just don't do what is needed. The key is light energy. In the chloroplasts within a leaf light energy is used (like gasoline in a car to make it go) to power chemical reactions that are used to build the compounds that the plant needs. LEDs are low wattage lights, therefore they only produce low power light.

Yeah I know that LEDs are better for emitting higher percentage of PAR light but it is still low energy light. If you break light down to its most basic unit you get the photon. When a photon strikes a cell of chlorophyll it causes 1 electron to be released from its bond in the CO2 molecule which allows the CO2 to break its bond so that the carbon atom can be utilized in building carbohydrates. The now free electron is connected to a energy carrying compound called ATP which is the plant's "gasoline" that is used to fuel all other chemical reactions. (For those who fully know this info, yes this is oversimplified)

For every photon of light that strikes the plant on a green area, a free electron is produced. When you shine a low energy light on a plant that is a high energy plant, it is like using a squirt bottle of water to put out a large fire. It is a low concentration of photons, which is why it takes multiples of LED lights to even get close to the concentration of photons produced by HID lights. Also, the photons produced by LEDs are only being pushed by very low voltage, so they don't travel far before they lose their energy.:( If you use an HID, it is like using a fire hose to spray water on the same fire. You are literally showering the plant with a high concentration of photons that are driven by upwards of 5000volts so that they will go farther without losing their energy.

Will LEDs work? yes. But they don't work well enough in any setup to offset the lack of photons (light energy) without becoming prohibitively expensive. When they are able to produce LEDs that push 50watts of power from each one, then we will have something to work with. :eek:

Behold the lighted glory and let your grow be praised! Cool, welcome to the tgc and may you share your knowelege bountifully.

More info on green things to come I hope.

tastyness said:
Looks good. Can't remember- how did you get your T'5's?
You know we share that order online problem.

What's your number gonna be?

T8's haa, T5's I wish! I found these shoplights for like $15 bucks without bulbs at our local facade claiming to be home depot...

sMACk

While :bongin: I came across a pretty good deal on a Secret Jardin DRII tent with free shipping. Never used this place, but it has the lowest price on this tent that I have seen.:aok:

www.specialtyhydroponics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88_178&products_id=3032

there's a space in the text of the link which causes an error on the store site. You need to delete the space near the end of the link between, "88_178&prod" and "ucts_id=3032".

sMACk

This will be my first tent grow. 39 inch x 39 inch x 79. I have a 400 hps and two 150 mh. Set up the tent for negative pressure and the temps have stayed in the 80's while I tested the set up.

I have NL and Blue Mystic auto flower on the way.

From what I have read I think I should use the 2 mh for the first 2 or 3 weeks until the plants have shown their sex and then add the hps for the flowering stage at 20/4. Any advice?

That is all growers choice JimBud. Some growers do this as a way to reduce stretch. Some do complete grows with mH. I prefer to use just a hps when in flower. Moving lights around in a full tent sounds like trouble to me.

Latest posts

Back