The 1970's....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel

rebel
Reaction score
can anyone relate to , how it seemed the 70's strains were my best days.
i cant seem to get the same high now as then.
Of course some of us arent spring chickens anymore and have families, grandkids, etc.. more worrys and stress than when we were younger.

Or is it the strains , as it takes a lot longer to harvest and no one grows 70's strains anymore.

whats everyones smoke report to yesterdays vs. todays, better-worse ?

Opposite for most...?

I smoked crap when i was younger. I couldnt get high off that mex crap then, it wont even buzz me today.

Back that long ago, avg THC #s were 6-10%. Now a days average is 9-14% up to 25%.

My oil and LSxOG18 is my sole meds for last 6 months and im faded 24/7!

U got me stumped?! lol

:48:

I just grew out a Columbian Gold and it is like the old stuff I guess. Smells very familure.
For the most part in the 70s i smoked joints. Today I have a couple hits.
I think it was hormonal. It was just a good time. OG is right that Mexican crap was...well, crap.

I'm with OG.

IMO, there is no doubt that strains today are stronger than what we had in the 70s. I started smoking mj in 1967. Back then, pretty much all there was was Mexican brick weed--stems, seeds, leaves--no sensimillian back then. It was pretty much that way through most of the 70s. I started to get some good stuff available to me in the late 70s. I started growing my own in the early 80s. And I have been growing off and on since then. I did have years at a time I could not grow (kids, roommates, no adequate space, etc). I moved to the mountain in 1998 and have had a garden going all the time since about 99.

I quit buying weed way before the 70's and was growing my own. The stuff I did try of others weed was over-dry, full of seeds and logs and tasted like dust and dirt.

We used to crack jokes about street weed in the 70s. We said that with only an ounce, you could build a fire with the wood :p and plant an acre with the seeds :hubba: while you smoked the four joints you could roll with it. :D

I think today's weed is a thousand times better. :bong:

:rofl: stoney hahahaaaa light a fire plant a field i love that.

you forgot fund a terrorist, contribute to smog, and choking plastic bag hazard

:fly:

I've noticed the same thing as you, rebel. I think it has to do with the fact that we were young and inexperienced. For the first couple of years I used to get tore up smoking Columbian Red Bud, for example. I think it was a great strain, but at the same time, the brain was young and inexperienced, so perhaps, it seemed better to us. Plus, when I was a kid I wasn't able to smoke as frequently as I do now; hence, the tolerance was down. I remember getting ripped off of Mexican Gold too. The same stuff today wouldn't have the same effect, perhaps.

anyone remember my hawaii thread?

their bud was good when i went there as a kid. got some good buzzes in lahaina.

went back last summer and can honestly say that hawaiian weed (for sale to locals) is the same mexican schwagg i smoked when i was 16, but with a name like kona gold on it. Thank god i crotched a weeks worth b4 the flight...lol

point being, they are landlocked and limited to only a few strains and probably keep the best for them to smoke...your never gonna get the best meds if you are buying it from someone else...

orangesunshine said:
70's remind me of cleaning that mexican brick weed with an ace of spades and an open record album---imo quality has come a long way since those days---:rofl:

Ha! Yeah, and a stampede of seeds rolling down the album into the fold.

Oh yeah, the old daze!

Now the youngsters ask; "What's a record album?"

Or use your favorite shoe box top to clean it, then there was cleaning the seeds and stems again, remember saving them for just such a purpose folks?

Sensimia came along where I live and I never bought another nickel bag of columbian (seeds included). I can remember though, getting some beautiful looking weed and it just not smoking as well as it looked. I know now it was just not left to ripen long enough.

Seems to me this weed we smoke now is head and shoulders better than anything I got back in the seventies. Rolling around on the floor laughing was new then too, maybe that is what made it seem better to you Rebel?

We did save them for the second or third cleaning when you were hard up.
I had a old silver tray just for the cleaning, wonder where that went. I still have my roachclip the telescoping one that looks like a pen. Have an old nasty pipe from then too.
I had forgotten about the cleaning tc, thanks. LOL

i always considered myself lucky if i ever ever ever found even just 1 seed, i had only heard stories in movies about mexican bud and i thought that it was just sometype of myth about some weed just not being that great.(until i went to california, that was the first bud i seen down there =/..)
all the bud i used to buy seemed stinkier back then too, like you could smell it 10' away through someones pocket...i think its just cuz im older and have been around it much since.

I remember taking shotgun hits one after the other and getting a nice buz of the better stuff. Some of the garbage back then had to be smoked that way to get anything at all. I can't do that with the stuf I'm growing now, a couple hits is all I need.

shotgun...as in from one mouth to another??? LoL

or you mean cambo? Man its been a while since i gravity bong'd a pool or 5gal

Yeah, OGK, mouth to mouth.....long, long time ago. Didn't actually touch mouth to mouth though, but an inch or so away. It allowed the smoke to cool a bit during the transfer and enabled a greater hit to be taken. I remember one time, I lost my vision as everything I looked at was fuzzy and colorfull. It must have been some Sativa that had THCV.

Rosebud said:
aw yes the good ole days of shotgun.

Thanks Rb, your post had me sit back in my chair:fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: remembering many days in the park with my friends.

I personally believe it is not so much the quality has changed. I began working in grows in 1973, they always had good bud, and there was always that n9ice gold or red Columbian that came around now & then, and some decent Thai as well. I read some tests and Columbian came in at like 12% and the Thai was in the low 20's. I was busted in 86 for a grow/breeding op, went in in ealry 87. When I got out in 1998 the thing I noticed was there was more high quality bud around than before I went in. Alot of what we did back in those days was outdoors, and we used rather primitive equipment compared to what is available today. We alos must remember there was no internet, so much of what we knew and learned came from books and other growers. The internet has created a whole new generation of good growers practically overnight. More growers, more higher quality product out there to meet demands. Their is still plenty of good ole brick and Canadian mids around, just why bother if you can get, or grow, higher quality stuff. Personally, if I was out, and nobody I knew that grows had any, it would time for a tolerance break b/c I just can't smoke that stuff anymore.

I remember good weed back in the day.. I remember acupulco gold 500 a lb .. panama red.. columbian red bud. 300 lb. Michaochan.. Much of it was good weed and some of this seeded weed was very good ,potent weed, I know sinsimilla is a potent MJ but I have smoked seeded weed that I swear is as good and possibly better.. I can still remember the earthy sweet smell of some of the weed in the early 70s.. some of the thai stick and hash oil.. black hash blond lebonise hash 4 bucks a gram 60 an oz.. Yep them were the days, I had a friend who used to go to Louisianna and buy 1200 LBs at a time and come back to fl and his pounds or lets just say his weed, and it was as close to some of the best weed I have ever smoked and it was seeded.. sticky and stinky and pure mexican bud. yeah it was nice to buy an oz for 20 bucks and the bag only folded over once and it was taped.. Hero

Latest posts

Back