The $60-450 watt HPS frankenstein

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time4tokin20s

Reaction score
Well I got my two other $20 HPS's today and created my new light,shutting down the cfl's for good.I took the lights and made them remote ballasts.This was real easy.Seperated,Took out ground,Opened base,Secured base,wired lights.
I added some pics so you could get a idea of how I did it.So far so good.I'm gonna go check the temp here in a little bit.Report back later.

Pic 002.jpg

Pic 005.jpg

Pic 006.jpg

Pic 007.jpg

Pic 008.jpg

Pic 009.jpg

Pic 012.jpg

Pic 013.jpg

Pic 014.jpg

Pic 015.jpg

Pic 018.jpg

Pic 021.jpg

Wow, impressive.. seperate 150W HP, do they need mini balices? Also, i would drill bigger holes in the back of them for the air to be pulled out of them better... Whats your temps, and at how high from the tips?

Timmyjg6 said:
Wow, impressive.. seperate 150W HP, do they need mini balices? Also, i would drill bigger holes in the back of them for the air to be pulled out of them better... Whats your temps, and at how high from the tips?

They were solid lights and I separated the ballasts. I ran wire from the ballasts outside my box to the sockets inside my hood.I'm still waiting to see what the temps will do.I'm sure I'll have to play with it a little.

Killertea08 said:
Hey check out The Hemp Goddess's cool tube in the DIY section for your lights. You can only use 2 but then it air cooled and you can lower it down.

Oh where did you get your Hps lamp from 20 bucks thats cool.[/quote

I have the hood exhausted.The heat seems to stop about 4" below the lights.I got it about 6" from the top of the plants at the moment.Seems to be doing pretty good.If it gets too hot then I'm gonna run 1 of my 2 intakes into the hood and get a piece of glass for the bottom.

Here's the link to the light http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=7&FGNumber=E-MT6H151G

Temps stayed under 75 all night with only one intake running.Actually staying cooler then the 12 CFL's :D

nice job. im glad to hear your temps are stayin low. i can't wait to order mine.. i want them now dang it.

Killertea08 said:
Oh where did you get your Hps lamp from 20 bucks thats cool.

Here is the link for the $20 150W HPS:

hxxp://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=7&FGNumber=E-MT6H151G

Growdude said:
This is a fact I think alot of peeps dont realize, you get more lumens and less heat from HPS.

I am surprised how cool even 2 of these are. I cannot imagine anyone using CFLs with these inexpensive (cool) HPSs available...more lumens, less wattage...a no-brainer to me.

ill wait for right now cause im thinkin these arent the samething as growing HPS cause they sure dont look that bright ;)

HydroManiac said:
ill wait for right now cause im thinkin these arent the samething as growing HPS cause they sure dont look that bright ;)[/quote

They're brighter then my buddies 400 watter he got off ebay.Oh well,if you don't want any that leaves more for us!:D

Awesome! I could tell a difference with just one in there.Now I'm seeing noticeable growth every time I open my box.

HydroManiac said:
and how is heat??

Good.The heat stops about 3" from the bottom of the hood.It hasn't broke 80 in my box since I switched over.

Latest posts

Back