The $60-450 watt HPS frankenstein

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
time4tokin20s said:
How can I do that?

PM one of the mods--they can move threads from one forum to another.

I also like your use of a SS sink as a reflector. I am not sure how well they actually reflect light, but it sure seems like it would work well.

This might kinda a dumb question, but how do you wire those to get power from a socket. Also, is it nessesary to take them apart?

reno911 said:
This might kinda a dumb question, but how do you wire those to get power from a socket. Also, is it nessesary to take them apart?

You don't have to take them apart but a lot of heat comes from the ballast.If you want to make remote then just cut the wire from the ballast to the socket and just splice in however much length of wire you need.

Thanks, I wasn't very clear with my question. How do you get those 2 wires to connect to the electricity socket? Thank you. BTW awsome find.

They come with a ballast and i am sure it has a regular cuticle on it...

reno911 said:
Thanks, I wasn't very clear with my question. How do you get those 2 wires to connect to the electricity socket? Thank you. BTW awsome find.

The wires from the socket go into the top of the ballast and into the guts.The ballast then has three more wires(white,black and an unneeded bare ground) coming out of the base.You just cut off the end of a extension cord and wire it to the black and white wires coming from the base.

wow this is awesome. Would love to make a set up like this, but it seems difficult. How reliable have they been thus far?

NewbieG said:
wow this is awesome. Would love to make a set up like this, but it seems difficult. How reliable have they been thus far?

Working better then expected.Still thinking about getting a piece of glass for the bottom so I can put it closer to the plants.
If you can use a drill then you can make one of these.Just have to figure out what kind of reflector your gonna use.

Great stuff time4tokin. Question for you though... Is it just the color of the light that makes them appear to be dim? I saw that other thread for the $20 HPS bulbs and I was considering this... But, they do look dim to me. I'm a newb though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely off.

Have you tested with a light meter or anything? How many lumens, according to the bulb specs, the math, are you supposed to be getting. And, do you feel that's accurate or close? If so, I think I'm going to follow your guide and do something similar.

ston3pony said:
Great stuff time4tokin. Question for you though... Is it just the color of the light that makes them appear to be dim? I saw that other thread for the $20 HPS bulbs and I was considering this... But, they do look dim to me. I'm a newb though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely off.

Have you tested with a light meter or anything? How many lumens, according to the bulb specs, the math, are you supposed to be getting. And, do you feel that's accurate or close? If so, I think I'm going to follow your guide and do something similar.

I think I'm rockin' out 48,000 lumens and yes I think they're all there.The pics don't quite do it justice because I used my old ladies camera and it's all automatic adjusting.Seems a little brighter then my buddies 400 watt but his is also in an open room.Definitely spanking my $200 worth of CFL'S butts,lol.

hahaha tokin i could use some help so it comes with a ballast?? did you wire it into a normal plug for wall socket and how did you do this??

HydroManiac said:
hahaha tokin i could use some help so it comes with a ballast?? did you wire it into a normal plug for wall socket and how did you do this??

They are sold as building supplies so there isn't a plug on them.You have to cut the end off a extension cord or something with a plug.The ballast and the socket are connected with two screws when you buy them.If you want to make it remote then unscrew it and cut the red wires(see diagram).Then splice in extra wire.

untitled.JPG

hahaha most def ill be ordering one as soon as i cash my check im gonna be mixin CFL's with HPS see how it goes

HydroManiac said:
hahaha most def ill be ordering one as soon as i cash my check im gonna be mixin CFL's with HPS see how it goes

My hood still has the holes for my cfl ballasts.When it gets colder I might put a few of them back in.

Latest posts

Back