The Coolest Sound I have ever heard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggyross

ziggyross
Reaction score
I was out on my deck the other night burning one. Just chilling and listening to nature. I live in the middle of an old hardwood forest surrounded by 80 foot tall trees. It's very peaceful and relaxing. We have a big Bart Owl that has a large nest in one of our trees. I was listening to him. Hoot Hoot hooty hoot. When all of a sudden I hear another really loud screech right above my head. So I figure it's a female talking to the male. So I whisper to my wife to come out and hear them talking to each other. She just got outside when we hear the coolest thing. They started to mate. If you have never heard a owl mate your missing something. They were hooting and screaming laughing moaning all at the same time. If I had not heard the first owl hoot and knowen what it was, and walked out to hear only those sounds it would have scared me to death.

It was just so awesome. I got online later and looked up Bart Owls. Apparently I was very lucky as they only mate one time a year.

That is very cool! I think they are good luck or something.

We had a pair of western screech owls that came and stayed in our city back yard for three months. We saw them every morning and evening. It was right after my mom died and I thought she sent them...:)
They did a very weird call to each other like a bouncing ball.

Rosebud, Well I can only hope they bring good luck. That's neat yours showed up after your mom passed. Prayers on the wings of owls. It's so awesome when you can witness something like that.

Sounds very cool Ziggy. After hearing your story, and other recent tales from friends of elk "bugleing", and eagle sightings... I can't remember why I'm living in the city.

I grew up on a farm/ranch in Colorado, so I know I started in the country. Wow, I better go check my "timeline" on FB and see what happened:rolleyes:

Sorry, back to the owl's. What great timing to witness the sounds of such a rare event. Enjoy that nature a bit extra for those of us stuck in suburbia.

thats awesome, i love nature, rosebud, my dad sends me stuff a lot also :)

Makes me miss the old days on the farm...

That is cool. I grew up out on the farmland and we would hear them at night.
very scary if you dont know what it is.

:48:

ODF

Bud Keeper, Why would you ever move from a Ranch in Colorado. I dream of living on a Ranch there.

OldDaddy, Yea if you didn't know what it is you would think something was about to eat you.

Ironically enough, my dad got busted for weed in the late 70's along with many others at a major "space and missles" company and was given a choice...lose all his security clearances or transfer to Ca. I guess they thought he would fit in better:confused2:

Boy would he be flamed if he found out my mom told me the story. I was 11 when it went down and in my 30's when I found out the real reason we moved.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming:eek:

I will never return to city life aint worth all the hype. Animal folk be more friendly most times

BWD

That's awesome :) Where I live we have a small native owl (Ruru) that makes very cool noises. I've only heard them calling each other & their hunting call, but not yet a mating call! I definitely have soft spot for owls :)

what a great story....we have owls here but never really got to see them mate...please let us know if the female sets up nest in your trees and have babbies:D...that would be real cool

That's funny. I remember the first time I heard a fox screech. It was right outside my bedroom window. I was 8. Damn near scared the piss right out of me..

Latest posts

Back