The Truth About Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetteroHeller

Reaction score
I just saw a backlink from this site from a blog post I had posted on marijuana usage. I had mentioned the new Foundation for a Drug-Free World site, the nifty animated smoker on the front, and the fact that the site had a message delivering the truth about marijuana. I got back a slew of various comments and such saying that basically that I had no right posting such a thing, as well as some "hee hee hee" posts saying that the site was making them more likely to smoke than not.

Now, I feel quite strongly about the fact that marijuana usage can lead straight into usage of more hard-core drugs, which can have an even more destructive effect on peoples' lives. I felt that between my blog post, and the site's page itself on marijuana, that this point is made pretty clear -- but I get all manner of different opinions on this.

So, rather than just engage in a flamewar, I'm actually interested in what you think about this -- after reading a site such as this on joints, what that would make one think if one was a youth not yet involved in drugs.

I'd think weed was a messed up drug if I was a kid reading that...kids shouldn't be using herbs anyways, along with other things>alco,cigs,etc>it just messes them up more than adults no matter what eventually.I also think that weed can lead to other things.They chose the right group to give their point good effect.

Wow - thanks much for the reply. That is the sort of data I'd like. I posted on another forum, and got a nonstop (i.e. it still hasn't stopped) stream of comments about how it's wrong and prejudiced to tell people it would be a bad idea to start taking drugs.

If kids could know, and understand things like what there is on crystal meth or kiddie coke (ritalin) before they started, they probably would know what they were getting into. This is with the argument of marijuana as a gateway drug notwithstanding.

I think you're posting this in the wrong place pal. Here there is a "PASSION" for Marijuana, just so you know. bye.

THCskunk said:
I think you're posting this in the wrong place pal. Here there is a "PASSION" for Marijuana, just so you know. bye.

Right on! Passion of the NUG. Grown, harvested, dried, cured, and smoked.

Marijuana itself does not lead the person to the other drugs: people take drugs to get rid of unwanted situations or feelings. The drug (marijuana) masks the problem for a time (while the user is high). When the "high" fades, the problem, unwanted condition or situation returns more intensely than before. The user may then turn to stronger drugs since marijuana no longer “works.”

---that is nonsense propaganda...the reason kids go from smoking weed to doing other drugs is because they are hanging out with people who smoke weed, and some of those people do other drugs...if a kid is going to do drugs its because they are weak minded, not because the high of weed isnt good enough anymore...its people like you who make this world **** by attatching a stigma to everyone who smokes weed...how about you sit down and spark up some of that Widow, than tell me smoking weed is bad

I disagreed with probably more than half the information on that site that seems to know "The Truth about Marijuana." The more people destroy the real image of marijuana the further we get from seeing its legalization. I think websites like this one shouldn't be around. Like TDM said, all it does is attach a stigma.

My response to the sites facts are based on my own experiences smoking and knowing other smokers.

"kids who frequently use marijuana are almost four times more likely to act violently or damage property."
Man, last time I was in a room full of stoners I'm pretty sure all we did was sit around, laugh, listen to music, etc. Marijuana doesn't increase violent actions, whether when you're high or not. I've seen Keg parties turn out more ridiculous and destructive than a couple kids lighting up a bowl, and alcohol is legal.

"They are five times more likely to steal than those who do not use the drug."
More crap...I fail to see how marijuana ties into urges to steal ANYTHING. More facts to demonize this peaceful plant.

"Because a tolerance builds up, marijuana can lead users to consume stronger drugs to achieve the same high."
We just smoke more herb, we don't say "hey dude, let's get some cocaine, the weed isn't doing it anymore!"

Anyway, my point is: Stop demonizing marijuana when it isn't as bad as legal substances available to people at 18 and 21 years old. People need to get their heads out of their butts and admit these things and the world will become a better place :peace:

JetteroHeller said:
I just saw a backlink from this site from a blog post I had posted on marijuana usage. I had mentioned the new Foundation for a Drug-Free World site, the nifty animated smoker on the front, and the fact that the site had a message delivering the truth about marijuana. I got back a slew of various comments and such saying that basically that I had no right posting such a thing, as well as some "hee hee hee" posts saying that the site was making them more likely to smoke than not.

Now, I feel quite strongly about the fact that marijuana usage can lead straight into usage of more hard-core drugs, which can have an even more destructive effect on peoples' lives. I felt that between my blog post, and the site's page itself on marijuana, that this point is made pretty clear -- but I get all manner of different opinions on this.

So, rather than just engage in a flamewar, I'm actually interested in what you think about this -- after reading a site such as this on joints, what that would make one think if one was a youth not yet involved in drugs.
So...got any good bud?

indokid said:
"Because a tolerance builds up, marijuana can lead users to consume stronger drugs to achieve the same high."
We just smoke more herb, we don't say "hey dude, let's get some cocaine, the weed isn't doing it anymore!"

YOU and ME, just smoke THE HERB...you have to realise that me,you, and the other average joe have 2 dif. views on 'drugs' man...maybe you haven't meet people who ACTUALLY went from weed to harder stuff because they wanted to get higher, and that's the truth>people really do move from drug to drug to get the same effect.
I never used to admit that it is a gateway drug..but come on>through meeting smokers you meet all kinds of other people.The substance 'itself' is not the gateway, but rather, the environment that surrounds it.As a result, one can't hide from the 'gateway' it opens, just like you can't hide from the speed gateway that your first ride in a really fast car gave you if you're into speed...feel me? And we all know that site is B* anyways, don't get to passionate about it>it's just another B* propaganda that some1 setup..and why CAN'T we talk about it anyway?Because it doesnt support the herb?It's about the herb..I think that's reason enough

hey JetteroHeller ,god give me this weed to smoke ,,,and every day i say thank you ,,,,,,if more people smoked weed the world would be afar better place ,,,,all i can do is pray,,,,ill say good day to you ,,i hope you find what your looking for ,,,,oh, by the way welcome to marijuana passion,,,,,PEACE,LOVE,RASTAFARI

Dunno about you guys, but I've never heard of a husband who would smoke a couple joints and then go and beat his wife half to death...

The idea that marijuana makes you have violent tedancies is completey false. Completely rediculous.. If anything, MJ makes you more passive and far less violent.

Insane said:
Dunno about you guys, but I've never heard of a husband who would smoke a couple joints and then go and beat his wife half to death...

The idea that marijuana makes you have violent tedancies is completey false. Completely rediculous.. If anything, MJ makes you more passive and far less violent.

I agree..ya' don't think so?
find yourself two construction crews. Set them down at two tables. Supply one table with all the tequilla they can drink. Supply the other table with all the mj they care to smoke.
Give it a couple of hours...;)

"Weed" does come with a certain enviroment,"kids" should definately not be encouraged to begin,smoke or drink untill they are "mature" enough to make the decision for themselves.
weed doesn`t make anyone more "violent",as already said "more probable that it would reduce someones "violent tendencies".that crap is just propoganda for sure.
but i also know ppl who have moved onto harder drugs, probably not "directly" involved through MJ, but "I`m" not sure if that was due to the weed or not, but i think it`s probably not.
I think some ppl may be "pre-disposed" to addiction,in their DNA,up-bringing,circumstances at various points in life etc.
It most likeley has more to do with the latter two than anything else,
way more than weed.
although i disagree with the guy that said "we" don`t want ppl like you in here(wessman123123?),that`s bang out of order man.This is the coffee table, and literally anything can be talked about in this section( apart from politics and that sort of good stuff.)all are welcome in here and "we":welcome: all opinions and points of view, that`s what makes this a great forum man!:mad: .
time for more weed i think:smoke1: :fly: :smoke1: .

I would bet my entire worth that more people than not never choose to move beyond MJ into harder drugs. It sickens me in this day,and age of information that people still have their blinders on. I also agree 100% with Hick. They ought to film an experiment like that. It would drive our point home like a pole barn spike.

thedutchmaster3 said:
Marijuana itself does not lead the person to the other drugs: people take drugs to get rid of unwanted situations or feelings. The drug (marijuana) masks the problem for a time (while the user is high). When the "high" fades, the problem, unwanted condition or situation returns more intensely than before. The user may then turn to stronger drugs since marijuana no longer “works.”

---that is nonsense propaganda...the reason kids go from smoking weed to doing other drugs is because they are hanging out with people who smoke weed, and some of those people do other drugs...if a kid is going to do drugs its because they are weak minded, not because the high of weed isnt good enough anymore...its people like you who make this world **** by attatching a stigma to everyone who smokes weed...how about you sit down and spark up some of that Widow, than tell me smoking weed is bad

i must agree with you... most dedicated pot smokers are all about if your tollerance is getting higher... you just smoke more bowls!!!! am i right or am i right... as soon as your high goes away... then just get a better strain and smoke more!

There is a big difference between drug use in kids and adults. No one, except what may be kids on this site (?), are advocating kids to smoke herb. I think there may be a grain of truth to the gateway theory if you are looking at kids of around 14-16 years old. They haven't yet formed the internal controls or disciplines of an adult, and in a small group of peers may very well escalate in their quest to 'get messed up'. This may not describe every individual, but when they talk about the 'gateway' scenario, this is the kind of model in mind, and I can definetly see it happening and am quite sure it does happen that way in numerous examples.
But, where most reasonable people differ widely from the status quo of law enforcement is,and I believe quite strongly, that a teenager smoking herb is a parenting problem and needs to be addressed that way, not as a criminal problem, and you certainly shouldn't carry the same kind of logic over to adults. It's like drinking, it is a serious lack of parental supervision, and possibly endagering the welfare of a minor. But the herb itself should be at least as legal as alcohol is. Kids will be kids, and will want to experiment, so it is going to happen, whether its alcohol or herb, no matter the laws. It is a matter of dealing with the situations and controlling the extent, knowing what's going on, and proper education without the presence of either left or right wing dogma.

if MJ were legal, could the gateway affect be lessened?

speaking from my own experience, only when i became comfortable with the illegality of it, did i try other drugs. i waited until i was 25 to start trying drugs so i did so with more control. I still prefer MJ to any other substance, but i will dabble in this and that here and there. I think MJ wiped away some of the fear surrounding "drugs" in general as an illegal thing.

make MJ legal, and maybe im just a smoker and still haven't tried coke, E, acid, etc.

As far as kids being more likely to do this or that... blah blah blah. it only means some kids are more likely to rebel and break the law. some break into houses, some join gangs, some do drugs, some do all 3. its not the MJ itself leading to these factors, its that kids prpensity to do something illegal. ****, I bet when some dumb kid is smoking with his friends and playing vice city is when he is safest to society. In no way do i condone young people to do drugs. the mind is not ready at that age.
Mj is surrounded by violence because it is illegal. make it legal and nobody needs to break the law to find some or kill their rival drug dealer guy.

peace

Latest posts

Back