The TRUTH.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killa kev.

Reaction score
I am a young cat. 18 years of age, smoke bud on the regular. This question goes out to all the older heads who have been smoking Marijuana for a long while. Or anyone who is truly educated perhaps. I love smoking and I really believe that it does not do too much damage to you. But the thing is, you hear all this and that about how it does more damage than a pack of cigs, which I personally do not believe. Does Marijuana really do true damage to your lungs, heart, etc..? Can smoking Marijuana on the daily cause you to get cancer or anything of that nature? Thanks for the time....
:D

Whats up mang. Any kind of smoking is gonna do some kind of damage no matter what IMHO. I've been smoking for 25 + years. ;)

I'd have to agree with The Brother's Grunt, if you smoke five cigarettes a day then you're less likely to get sick from smoking than if you were to smoke 20 cigarettes a day. I believe the same would apply to smoking pot.

here is what i beleive to be the truth.
mpp.org said:
Is marijuana more dangerous than tobacco?

In a word: no. Marijuana is not more dangerous than tobacco. Research has shown that marijuana causes far less harm than tobacco.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, tobacco was responsible for 435,000 deaths in 2000, or nearly 1,200 deaths per day. On the other hand, marijuana has never caused a fatal overdose in more than 5,000 years of recorded use.
It is important to note that the act of smoking anything is harmful to the lungs, and in this regard, marijuana is not completely benign. According to Understanding Marijuana (2002), by Mitch Earleywine, marijuana smokers sometimes exhibit symptoms similar to those experienced by tobacco smokers — coughing, wheezing, and bronchitis.
However, these harms can be minimized by ingesting marijuana orally, with devices known as vaporizers, or by using higher-potency marijuana, which reduces the harms associated with smoking while still delivering marijuana’s medical benefits.
Other research shows that daily marijuana use does not lead to increased rates of respiratory illness, and that smoking both tobacco and marijuana is worse than smoking just one.
Unlike tobacco, research has never shown that marijuana increases rates of lung cancer or other cancers usually associated with cigarette smoking. In a 10-year, 65,000-patient study conducted at the Kaiser-Permanente HMO and published in 1997, cigarette smokers had much higher rates of cancer of the lung, mouth, and throat than non-smokers, but marijuana smokers who didn't smoke tobacco had no such increase. And in May 2006, Dr. Donald Tashkin of UCLA presented results of a new study showing that even very heavy marijuana smokers had no increased risk of lung cancer.

Alistair Young said:
I'd have to agree with The Brother's Grunt, if you smoke five cigarettes a day then you're less likely to get sick from smoking than if you were to smoke 20 cigarettes a day. I believe the same would apply to smoking pot.

I 2 agree with you.

But you need to remember the link between cancer and cigarettes is well established where the same can not be said about marijuana. I'm not saying heavy use wouldn't cause lung cancer just that more research needs to be done. But a link has been discovered between Cannabis and the reversal and reduction of some types of cancers.

All in all the government needs to open the doors to allow further research to be done on the subject.

One thing that sticks out in the quote from mpp.org for me:

"According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, tobacco was responsible for 435,000 deaths in 2000, or nearly 1,200 deaths per day. On the other hand, marijuana has never caused a fatal overdose in more than 5,000 years of recorded use."

Is this implying that the half a million deaths in 2000 due to tobacco are a result of overdosing? I don't think so. But yet, a direct comparison of two different types of facts are being made, which kinda gives it the air of propaganda...

I with TBG on this one. Smoking pot is harmful, but typically you would inhale less volume of smoke than you would with cigarettes (I do anyway) so it is less harmful. We just need to use common sense, don't hold smoke for an insanely long time, don't do stupid crap like smoking the tar in pipes out of desparation, and pay attention to what your body is telling you. It's a wonderful piece of machinery, and will tell you if you are overdoing it, you just need to listen.

Smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. I totally agree there. As soon as combustion is brought into the equation you are going to be inhaling harmful substances. Its too bad that more research isn't being done on this plant. It must be tough getting grants from the government to do research that will in the end make the government out to be either stupid or liars or both.

Oh and you were bang on about listening to your body. I started paying attention myself a few years back and my life has changed enormously for the better.

Hey man, thanks to older smart guys smoking for a while, things like vaporizers and pot brownies are at our disposal. They might not be as easy as sparking your bowl (vapes are close though), but I'm sure the body will appreciate the smokeless high.

Latest posts

Back