To water or not to water that is the question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

down4it07002

Reaction score
I don't know if i should be worried for my plants or not. I bought 6 clones and planted them all in 2gallon buckets in some fox farm soil under four 4ft T8 fleuro's on Feb 28 completely watered them down and haven't watered them since. It's been a while but they don't seem like they need water there all growing really nice and are about a foot tall except one hasn't grown at all. I have a soil tester and it says it wet when i get all the way to the bottom of the soil. So i guess the question is should i be watering them or wait untill they look like they need water?

I mean if they are under just those 4' floros and their pretty small i guess it would take around almost 3 weeks to be watered again. The lights don't really dry the soil out, especially if it's a 2 gal pot that might take a while, and if the plants look healthy then it doesn't seem like you have a problem.

I also used my fishtank water for the extra nitrates the plants are actualy really nice looking no stretching nice and bushy. I have one chem dog two hindu skunk the one thats not doing good is one the other is fine, i also have a Grand Daddy Purp and 2 White Widow and I am starting 10 send of so jack-o-licous a mix of jack herra and carmalicous

I don't like water meters, I think they're useless, I only trust my fingers- I stick my fingers down in the soil in a safe corner of the pot or hold the back of my hand over the soil and think do they need water, is the top one inch of soil bone dry, or somewhat dry or does it still have significant moisture left in the top one inch of soil. You just need to be concerned about the moisture level where the roots are.

Some of the best ways to see if your plants need water is to weight the pot, but if you don't have a high count digital scale or your pots are too big it's out of the question.

With practice, you can lift the pots and feel the weight to see if they're full of air or water.

The soil needs to be moist, but not wet. Is your mix well-draining?

The top one inch of my soil is bone dry. Someone else was telling me to wait until my plants start to droop and feel the weight of the pot than water them the plants will come rite back up and feel the weight of the pot again.

someone told me watterless is betterthan watter more an let it get dry dry,, so the roots streach out looking for the water..... bbb

high before and after said:
I don't like water meters, I think they're useless, I only trust my fingers- I stick my fingers down in the soil in a safe corner of the pot or hold the back of my hand over the soil and think do they need water, is the top one inch of soil bone dry, or somewhat dry or does it still have significant moisture left in the top one inch of soil. You just need to be concerned about the moisture level where the roots are.

Some of the best ways to see if your plants need water is to weight the pot, but if you don't have a high count digital scale or your pots are too big it's out of the question.

With practice, you can lift the pots and feel the weight to see if they're full of air or water.

The soil needs to be moist, but not wet. Is your mix well-draining?

:yeahthat:

down4it07002 said:
The top one inch of my soil is bone dry. Someone else was telling me to wait until my plants start to droop and feel the weight of the pot than water them the plants will come rite back up and feel the weight of the pot again.

That's what I do.:D

Next time weigh your pots at the start when they are bone dry and write that number down...then when you are wondering if you shld water or not you can just throw the pot on the scale and see how hvy it is...if it is close to that number you started with it's time to water...obviously when they get loaded down with buds their weight will increase and you will hve to make adjustments but I hve a feeling after you do this for a cpl weeks you will get the feel and no longer need the scale...you can just pick them up and tell...

down4it07002 said:
:yeahthat:

Learning the weight thing by using muscle memory is the best, because it works with any size pot and you can get it down to where the plants don't need to droop, but like the day before they would droop.

When you do water, make sure the medium is totally saturated. I always water to a good run off (leaching). Sometimes, when it gets too dry it doesn't absorb water like it should. Like a damp mop picking up water better than a totally dry one. I run into this with my peat based mix if I'm not careful. The plant will still feel light even after a heavy watering when this happens.

If this happens, just put the plant in a large enough container and add water to below the top of the container you need to soak. Usually a few minutes is enough, but sometimes as long as 15 or 20 minutes is needed.

Good Growing!

DD

I just feel the soil about a few inches down.
Do the pots have drainholes?
I got busy and did'nt get to mine for about 3 days-they were drooping.
So I watered.
Within 2 hours the leaves perked up.
And I will probably water lightly again tomorrow because I think it was so dry alot drained off.
Mine are in early flower stage.
:)
Gb

Latest posts

Back