Too cold??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puffdog

Reaction score
I'm 2.5 weeks into flowering and my plants are budding but fan leaves are yellowing and rotting and lower shoots seem to wilt. plants are in basement closet and temp drops to 55-60 when light is off. I'm putting a small heater with fan in but was wondering if this could be my problem. Also I am using the two bucket watering method which I like because I have no knats but should I let them dry out a bit before watering again. Just thought I may also be giving them too much water. But thought why doesn't this become a problem with hydro so I tend to think that could be it.

thanks

would be hard to tell what exactly is wrong with them, with out more background on your grow , system, lights, air/exhaust, nutes, ph etc.. but IMO 55 to 60 is too cold for em. I try to stay between 70 to 80 GL

Sounds to me like you need to feed them. If you are watering reg and the plant is feeding out(lower and old growth yellowing) of it lower growth it is starving.

i agree with ozz an puff. i get the same low temps with lights off , an i dont see any probs at all....never have. i do have to admit i only go a couple months before i add heat to keep it closer to 65-70.

i think she is hungry for the reasons ozzy stated, but i also believe the roots are staying too wet causeing the hunger.

what the heck (too much thinkin required to not cuss) is the "two bucket method" ? how wet do you keep them ?

its very easy to overwater ! the reason hydro doesnt have that prob is because the plants are not sitting in water/food. The roots must have plenty of oxygen to thrive.

all hydro systems have moving water one way or another or it wouldnt work.

soil :guitar:

Another reason that hydro doesn't have the problem of overwatering is because we use aeration to keep the water highly oxygenated, otherwise the roots would drown. I have my microgrow sitting in a plastic glass where the roots are sitting in 2" of water constantly. The key is aeration. Air pumps pushing lots of happy air bubbles into the water through a large "stone" diffuser. :)

doubt the temps are a factor---if you pop up some pics it would be helpful for a better guess to what is really going on---

Hushpuppy said:
Another reason that hydro doesn't have the problem of overwatering is because we use aeration to keep the water highly oxygenated, otherwise the roots would drown. I have my microgrow sitting in a plastic glass where the roots are sitting in 2" of water constantly. The key is aeration. Air pumps pushing lots of happy air bubbles into the water through a large "stone" diffuser. :)

on a different note:
my very first hydro run is a gallon jug with about 2" of water in the bottom an a 12oz dixie cup with perlite...... is that too much rez for your microgrow thread? ...... it dont really matter cause im only usin organic meals and stuff with no meters , so i will probably run into alot of probs along the way.

soil :D

are the leaves actually wilting or are the curling like a claw?

in my experience low temps cause the leaf blades to get thinner and thinner. also they wil curl down like a claw, and start to have very pronounced ridges between leaf veins. they almost start looking like playdogh. and you will notice the plant will get lime green and refuse to grow basically.

i had a huge prob with temps in that range and everyone online said it shouldnt be a factor at those temps. well if that was the case a heater wouldnt have fixed the problem... and it did fix it.

Latest posts

Back