Tour deFrance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shiloh

Anyone else watching? I live in a rare area of Florida that is not flat. I see these serious bicyclists training on my local roads. I always give them wide berth with respect.

I don´t have a telly, but I enjoy the excerpts on YouTube, except for the crashes, I´ve hit the tarmac too many times myself to watch with impunity.
Cycling is very big here in Andalucia, packs of riders come belting up the hill past my place, where it suddenly goes from "steep" to "***?" yet they continue to chat amongst themselves as they disappear into the Sierra Nevada.

Driving home from Durcal recently, approaching a very long, steep downhill stretch, an approaching cyclist was giving it all he´d got, after a huge climb, and I suddenly realised he had no right leg, not even a stump. I don´t think I´ve ever seen such a display of sheer bloody guts, it still chokes me up just thinking about it. I can´t imagine how he gets on and off, or stops at junctions, but what a magnificent example of courage and determination he sets in a time when many are facing great difficulties.

I still ride a bike, but mine has a 1kw motor which runs on sunshine, also a life-long motorcyclist, though I bought a heavy slow plodder last year on account of advancing senility, and my Guzzi being a bit quick. But I think whatever you ride, two wheels are twice as good as four, especially if, as I do, you keep out of cities, (and out of England, where knocking cyclists off their bikes is a national sport ).

I am fortunate that I not only have bicyclists, but also motorcyclists cruising up the road. Now I may have a moped parade. I recently sold my late dad's 1970s Garelli moped to an Orlando enthisiast who promised me a ride past my home with his fellow riders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back