transplanting during flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer2811

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to transplant to a bigger container if the current one is root bound,4 weeks into flowering?

just how much rootbound? plants showing symptoms? IMO it depends how bad your situation is to decide if its worth it. if you really have no other choice maybe make many holes in your curent buckets and place em in a bigger one cuz you'll be losing roots with transplanting normally and thats not good at this time. your in soil?

transplanting is also very stressful to the plant. This is why you should make your final transplant a week or 2 before flipping to 12/12...and make sure then that the container is big enough to house the plant through flowering.

I would not take the chance with a transplant in the 4th week...unless the plant was going to die if I didn't. You are takeing a huge risk of it turning herm, and stressing it enough that you could possably add weeks to your finish date. It will have to use it's energy to fix whatever stress you cause it instead of using that energy to build flowers. If you had to do it...I think Zems idea would be the best. Cut the bottom out of the container it is in now, and set it on top of a bigger container of soil.

There may be another issue too. I had my biggest plant about to enter flower - had already been in 12-12 a week - but I decided the pot was too small so I repotted into a much larger container.
Now, it has been 3 weeks in 12/12 and rather than flower, it has been putting on growth - a LOT of growth. I have the impression that instead of going into flower it said to itself, "hang on a minute, gotta get roots into all that fine new medium first" - so if you're 4 weeks into flower, I would worry that the plant will pause while rooting up. Likely result = longer time to mature, but increased yield . . . your call!

I transplanted about my fourth week because I decided to get my plants out of 2L bottles and into larger pots. The soil was moist and it completely fell apart when I took them out of the bottles. All I could do was to plop them into a large pot and throw soil around them. I thought I was going to lose them for sure but in a week they responded and started growing again. They were very resilient.

ifsixwasnin9 said:
I transplanted about my fourth week because I decided to get my plants out of 2L bottles and into larger pots. The soil was moist and it completely fell apart when I took them out of the bottles. All I could do was to plop them into a large pot and throw soil around them. I thought I was going to lose them for sure but in a week they responded and started growing again. They were very resilient.

4 weeks into flower?

Latest posts

Back