transplanting outside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatjohnstamos

Reaction score
so the other week i started about 10 plants and as of now they are around three inches tall and have three or so set of leaves. So i ask you how big should i let them get before i move them outdoors?

is there anything i should do over that week to make the transition less stressful or can i just plop them in the dirt in a week or so?

I guess the thing is

Where are you planning on planting them?

The outdoors can be harsh, small young plants are vulnerable to damage.
Be it from pests or the environment.
I like to transplant my young buds into 1gal pots, then plant out into a well prepared spot. Before they are rootbound.

Have a glance at my journal I have just planted my outdoor crop into my garden today.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27148

if you have them in 16oz plastic keg cups, you can just cut off the bottom of the cup, and place the rest in your prepared soil. being small yet, i would deff. chicken wire em if possible. good luck...

isthatjohnstamos said:
is there anything i should do over that week to make the transition less stressful or can i just plop them in the dirt in a week or so?

I just got finished transplanting some clones outside that were living indoors. someone told me to get a product called "superthrive", which i picked up at the hydro store. (i heard wal-mart carries it too) it has worked wonders with my little ladies, and i have never seen any plants take the transition so well. i highly recomend you look into it. GL and keep us posted.

by outside i mean the wilderness, out in the elements. Its about a 20 minute walk from the road, also what should i be doing to prepare the spot, I have 8 seedlings now so how big of an area will i need i plan on growing them in twos or threes per plot.

i would obviously get the holes prepared. importing a quality soil conditioner like a chicken manure would be benificial. depending on the details of the operation, you may want to look in water crystals. the less time you spend at the spot, usually the better. i have heard they work but i have yet to put them to the test myself. i have found that it is also nice to trim back any trees that hide the sun- keep in mind the balance needed here though- you want sunlight, but you need to keep things hidden from the "eyes in the sky" as well.

As FLA says, let them have 2 more weeks, during this time go to your spot and dig wells out 4 times your pot size wide and 3 times its depth, the soil should be prepared by turning it over a couple of times and adding about one cup of hydrated lime per square yard of soil and mix in manure and your grow medium (not MG or pre nuted) the soil should now be watered several times and left to sit about one week.

Harden the seedlings off by putting them outside for a couple of hours a day and bring them back inside, do the same the next day, then do the same but for 4 hours for 2 days then 6 hours, then after this the plants are ready to be planted into the ground where they are going to grow, dont plant too many plants together, do not form a pattern that can be seen from above, 3 feet apart at least and space the plants over a large area.

How do you plan on looking after the plants once they are outside?

If the temperature is similar outside as it is inside I would put the seedlings out all day ... keep an eye on them to make sure they can handle it one the first day... if they can then leave them outside during the day and take them in at night ... if you are able to do so ...

May the Angels protect your ladies from humans and animals eyes ... good luck to you ...

im pretty much going to try and visits as few times as possible. I dont need to draw attention to me an i cant train them by putting them outside. so can i put them on the floor where the sun will shine in for a few hours and give them atrificial light the rest of the time?

I would suggest if you are putting them in the ground, to transplant them in the evening so a plant has all night to adjust and put its energies towards the adjustment rather than spending its energies trying to survive the heat of the day. This has worked very well for me with zero casualties so far.

Latest posts

Back