tried, tested and true.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ta2dguy

Reaction score
hi there everyone who reads this, thanks for stopping in and taking a look. i dunno if this is going to turn into what i want it to or not, and i hope people dont decide to use this thread to bash away at people for crazy or different ideas or ways of doing/trying thing or as a place to state that "literature says this so it must be so"(i say this cuz alot of people quote other peoples testing and experience) because i want this to be a "this is what i did and this is the results i got" thread, but here goes :). i am a very curious, hard headed,hard working, determined, find out the hard way kinda person. i would like to try and use this thread as a marijuana mythbusters kinda thing. i would like to put some of the "myths" we all hear about to the test. i know that everything that i may attempt has probably been done before but that is where i need to know for myself if these things are true or not :). i am sure there are others out there like me and this might be a good starting point for many threads on many subjects. i also have limited time/space/resources so if there are others out there with a bit of time/space and curiosity i am sure that there will be many different so called myths to try but it wont be easy at times. there may will be times that intentional damage to the great plant will be necessary and an ability to toss away plants and seeds without concern(in the name of science). fair to say it wont be a thing for the queasy :). i plan on picking a certain myth(or more depending on what i can handle) and posting it as a grow journal so we can all have access to it. i am not sure if this idea is gonna fly or not but i think it is worth a try. i for one am not so fond of the way i get told that if i do something it wont work.... after 15+ years of doing it succsessfully :) and things like the " i dont think it can possibly work" attitude...followed up with "but i never tried" or " because so and so says it on page whatever outta this book" or experiences along that line. dont get me wrong :) i have many bibles here myself and a ton of growing experience and put a huge amount of trust in both but am still open minded to new ideas and ways as long as they are tried tested and true :). if this turns out the way i hope, it will become a very important and informative thread. if it does not turn out to be helpful in anyway i will not continue on with the thread. it will take some time to properly prepare for this but this is a good starting point... i think :).

i know there are a ton of things out there we want to see done but i would like to make a suggestion for the first couple of myths to try....

1) feeding seedlings - when to feed them and how much. i was told that i would kill them if i fed them half strength nutes before they were 2 or 3 weeks old.

2) lst or no lst, which produces more. does letting a plant grow straight up produce as much as a plant that is trained down. is there a noticeable difference in size, structure and overall weight?

3) not a myth but... intentional ph difference in same clones to show symptoms ie. 1 clone at 5.2, 1 clone at 6.0 and one at 7.5 in both hydro and soil

i dunno what you guys think of this idea but i am sure you will all let me know :)... and i hope you do :).

if there are people out there interested in trying some stuff dont be shy :).

wot a great idea i love mythbusters
wot about picking the leafs of in flower maybe you could do 3 clone
1 no picking
2 abit of picking
3 alot of picking
and see how the yeild changes

that is a great one fruity, some(few :)) say pick em off early and some say leave em till they drop.... a good one to test for sure. thanks for geting in there with some ideas fruity. as i said before tho there are going to be a ton of tests to run so maybe we can get a small group or something together and try these out :).

Yo Ta2, I like to think that this site is a mythbuster site. I've been here a little longer than some, and have seen most of your questions already answered. Unfortunately, it is scattered all over. I realize that makes it darn near impossible to find everything and put it all together( whether it is just for you or meant to be a sticky). I did want to wish you good luck, ;). I have already walked that path.

we fed some 3 day old seedlings with quarter strength canna veg, and some riztonic and they are fine.....The plants are sat/indica mix....no ill effects. good genetics are important...
Be happy to read any mythsbusted....Might be a good idea to bust the myths in some kinda order/schedule...

Ie myth 1)= yada yada..

Good luck to anyone whose got the time/patience n resources...

thanks for stopping by umbra and i first want to again pass on my deepest condolences to you in your time of loss right now....:48:.

that being said i would like to hope that maybe all those scattered informative threads can eventually be gathered here :). if not there can be the same tests done again and documented here. without a doubt most everything has been tried tested and true already but for the new grower and the experienced alike i think this can become a beneficial thread. thanks for the good luck wishes but i need more than luck, mine sucks :).

thanks raz + nicky for stopping in too... there is just the information needed here, now with a few pics and alot more information on your system and some comparisons to some of the same strain seedlings that were fed no nutes early and some fed a 50% and maybe some a full strength at the same time intervals etc., the variables need to be figured out as well as the control and so on. i hope i dont come off as rude here either r+n but that is also the kinda misleading information that can lead someone into trouble. that may only work for the strain that you have and may kill another strain, does a 50% solution given at the same intervals show signs of overfertilization or not, is there a signifgant size difference in the plants through the early/late stages of growth etc. i really hope there is no offence taken here cuz i never mean to be offensive in anyway i am just a bit on the devils advocate side and enjoy a good discussion anytime. ;) :evil: :argue: :48:

maybe you would be interested in taking on that myth :)

i fully agree though that if this continues that there be a master list of myths done in some orderly fashion.... i also fully agree that good genetics is of utmost importance, but someone else may disagree :)

I did a sog grow where I picked all the large fans off. I only tried it twice so far, both times I increased yields between 25 and 50%. I left little fans on the branches along with bud fans. I have only tried this with them packed in closely together, 20 plants in a 2ft by 1.5 ft area.

I'm all for your thread man...I just wanted to point out the obvious though.

Every strain is different and every plant within that strain is different, unless your working with clones of the same strain, and then you will only be busting myths for that particular plant...

But I'm all for watching to see what you come up with, and wish you all the luck.

I can't go without saying that I refuse to believe that clipping healthy fan leaves will increase yeilds by 25-50%...there are definately other factors at work here. I just would hate to see some newbie decide to cut off leaves because they saw that statement and thought it was true.

I never undertsood the fascination with cutting off leaves...don't get me wrong I was there once to...I just don't understand how our minds think that cutting on healthy growth could in anyway be beneficial. It really makes no sense. Unless of course you are topping.

Good Luck with your mythbusting...I've done alot of it myself

ta2dguy, I have to give you props for sticking your neck out there amidst all the possible criticism and just going for it on these tests like you are :) There is nothing like hands on learning, hehe :D

I hope everything goes well for you on your experiments! :)

I never undertsood the fascination with cutting off leaves...don't get me wrong I was there once to...I just don't understand how our minds think that cutting on healthy growth could in anyway be beneficial. It really makes no sense. Unless of course you are topping.

i know wot your saying LF i think cutting leaves off will only do bad thing but if you have the time space (etc) i think it would be a good idea to show new grower that it doesnt work or does work
me personaly belive it will reduce your yeild by how much i dont know thats where the busting comes in :D

leaves take in light, process it with photosynthesis, and turn it into bud production, this is not a theory, it is science.

I don't think anyone is advocating cutting off ALL fan leaves. :eek:

But, there may be something to trimming a few here and there- perhaps to improve air circulation, or those fans that are so low under the canopy they're just not getting any good light anyway. I've never done it myself because it just doesn't seem to make sense.

But that doesn't mean that in some circumstances it may help. I'd be interested in seeing the results. Maybe I'll try a little myself. :rolleyes:

now things are starting to heat up :).

hey warfish :) i know that it is gonna get rough in here from time to time but i got big shoulders and a thick skin. thanks for stopping in

removing healthy fan leaves will only hurt your plant and yield.

Myth busted.
... hi there dman, welcome to the thread. i understand the science of the plant and agree that it seems crazy to cut off healthy leaves cuz they are the engine of the plant but i would also like to see the tests that you have done to prove that leaving them on actually increases your yield or potency. i would like to see anyones actual personal test of this with pics and stats and the whole nine yards then to me the myth will be busted not because the science book says so :)
LF :) always a pleasure and a treat to see you around, i dont want anyone, new or not cutting off their leaves cuz of a single post that is the entire reason for this thread, to show with studies that a certain way does or does not work. i agree that each study will be strain specific cuz marijuana does not come in one standard but that may also allow us to maybe see the same study on different strains cuz this may peak your curiosity(or someone elses) enough for to take a couple plants and do some trimming.... or not :) and keep a record of it and post it here

But, there may be something to trimming a few here and there- perhaps to improve air circulation, or those fans that are so low under the canopy they're just not getting any good light anyway. I've never done it myself because it just doesn't seem to make sense.

But that doesn't mean that in some circumstances it may help. I'd be interested in seeing the results. Maybe I'll try a little myself.
....bbfan :) thats the spirit. if you do a little testing please keep the results :)

I did a sog grow where I picked all the large fans off. I only tried it twice so far, both times I increased yields between 25 and 50%. I left little fans on the branches along with bud fans. I have only tried this with them packed in closely together, 20 plants in a 2ft by 1.5 ft area.
... welcome kal el and thanks for the info. with a few pics, a bit more info and some more numbers and that is what we are looking for. thanks again.

this is definitely gonna get a little tense at moments and i just want everyone to know that this thread was started to give me something to do :) but also to help me open my mind to some different ways of doing things. when my mind stops growing so do my plants. happy growing.

fruity86 said:

i know wot your saying LF i think cutting leaves off will only do bad thing but if you have the time space (etc) i think it would be a good idea to show new grower that it doesnt work or does work
me personaly belive it will reduce your yeild by how much i dont know thats where the busting comes in :D

Fruity...I was not knocking your idea...I hope you know that. My comment was made mostly in response to the claim made by Kal el about his leaf trimming increasing his yeild by 25-50%.

Any one thing that could be done to increase yeild by 50%....to me sounds a little far fetched. Not that I'm calling our man there a liar either, I'm saying that if his yeild were increased this dramaticly that it was probably from other factors, and not just a trim job.

I'm also not trying to say that some trimming may or may not be beneficial, only that every plant is different. I have even had clones from the same donor, at times have special needs, that it's sibblings may not have needed. I attributed it to maybe variences in the soil, or slight pH differences...but they are differences non the less.

ok so i will clarify a few things so we dont have a war on our hands,

I was assuming we were talking about removing all or most fan leaves,
probably because i have seen a few post on this recently, if we are talking about removing dead leaves or leaves at the very bottom then thats different, i grow plants to about 3 feet and prefer to be completely bare
on the botom 12-16 inchs so im not afraid to remove growth.

but there is a myth out there that you can cut all your fan leaves off and get better results by allowing more light to the bud, this is not correct, as we know leaves are essential to bud production.

but apparently you can smoke the leaves of a male white widow and get high also. LOL

yes dman we definitely dont want a war here:).

this topic of fan leaf trimming has caused alot of interest. in my own opinion they are needed as much as any other part of the plant, they are the engine that runs the plant. there is a fuel/air (nute/oxygen) mixture taken into the leaves (engine) via the fuel lines(roots) and when it gets to the leaves the light/sun is the spark that turns the fuel into the energy required to drive(grow) the plant. how can a car run without an engine? how can a plant grow without leaves? .... same question?

right now i have a number of plants on the go and am going to take a number of clones and dedicate them to this myth. i have got some things to take care of here before any busting will be done but it will take time for the clones to get rooted and growing. i will try to be as professional and thorough as possible and will be asking for help,ideas and suggestions along the way to make sure that all angles are covered. happy growing.

Another 2 cents from us ....

We read that an increase in nitrogen at the early veg stage and having the lights at 16/8 with low temp will increase the chances of your plants being fem....So we feed em some nitro,lawn food (heavily diluted)
B4 anyone gets the noose out we are just awaiting them plants to show sex.....The seeds are a dom hindu kush/sat/indica mix that we made ourselves in spain..

They are a week into veg right now.....We'll be happy to post if it works..And post a detailed feed schedule...

damn, i was just getting the noose ready too :) lol. great stuff r + n, that is exactly the combination of curiosity and determination required here. i am very interested in the results you get for that. well documented with a few pics and voila no more curiosity or need to listen to ill advice cuz the facts will be right there :). thanks for coming back with your 2 cents but is it 2 cents each for a total of 4 or are you just throwing in 1 cent worth each lol :). just kidding. thanks again.

They are a week into veg right now.....We'll be happy to post if it works..And post a detailed feed schedule...

please dont just post if it works, post it if it doesnt work as well. that is the main point of this thread is to get together all information, positive and negative. the reason for this as well is it may give someone else a starting point or some valuable information that they need when they decide to give it a try :).

I think this is an awesome idea!! Iv always stuck to a repetitive grow cycle, mainly because once I found a process that satisfied me, I was afraid to try new thing in fear of failing and wasting time... This way people like me can get different strategies and info without going through alot of trouble. Good thinkin Ta2!!!

Latest posts

Back