Mars Hydro FC-E 6500 has failed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
As per title, when I checked tents this morning, the light was off and power supply felt cold. Checked connections, all looks good. It was on when I went to bed, so failed during the night. Since the whole thing is dead, and Power Supply cold, it figures the power supply failed.

Removed it from tent to have better inspection, tried in different socket in case power strip/timer failed, no go. Sent Mars Hydro and email, we will see how this goes.

Moved the LA Pure Kush in bud, week 4-5 to a 2x4 with 3 other LA Pure Kush. Little crowded. No other space, so reinstalled one Mars Hydro SP 3000, will remove another SP 3000 from mother tent, install some older 100 watt panels, (3 of them, but I think 2 will be plenty) for mothers.

This should allow me to limp along just fine until Mars Hydro does their thing. Hopefully they will send out replacement power supply, or sell me a replacement. Otherwise it is new light time, not real happy with that. Would replace with a meanwell if I new how to swap it into this thing.

It's always something!

Bubba

As per title, when I checked tents this morning, the light was off and power supply felt cold. Checked connections, all looks good. It was on when I went to bed, so failed during the night. Since the whole thing is dead, and Power Supply cold, it figures the power supply failed.

Removed it from tent to have better inspection, tried in different socket in case power strip/timer failed, no go. Sent Mars Hydro and email, we will see how this goes.

Moved the LA Pure Kush in bud, week 4-5 to a 2x4 with 3 other LA Pure Kush. Little crowded. No other space, so reinstalled one Mars Hydro SP 3000, will remove another SP 3000 from mother tent, install some older 100 watt panels, (3 of them, but I think 2 will be plenty) for mothers.

This should allow me to limp along just fine until Mars Hydro does their thing. Hopefully they will send out replacement power supply, or sell me a replacement. Otherwise it is new light time, not real happy with that. Would replace with a meanwell if I new how to swap it into this thing.

It's always something!

Bubba
similar issue with the FC-3000. I disconnected the driver from the cable and reattached everything after it cooled down. It’s been working fine for me since then. That may or may not be the same for you but it’s definitely worth a shot. Good luck!

similar issue with the FC-3000. I disconnected the driver from the cable and reattached everything after it cooled down. It’s been working fine for me since then. That may or may not be the same for you but it’s definitely worth a shot. Good luck!
I will try it when I get home, although I removed it, took into another room where I plugged it in to try on different socket and without power strip/timer.

Bubba

I will try it when I get home, although I removed it, took into another room where I plugged it in to try on different socket and without power strip/timer.

Bubba
How many volt driver is that 12, 24,36 volts?
Did you do a meter check to see if you had output voltage.
Could be the diodes also

Bubba
I wonder if Mars built in a thermal overload switch?
I have seen things heat up, not work and poof the switch kicks back in and it works again
Does your room or tent run very hot?

There's not much that can go wrong in those supplies. Unless you smelled a capacitor melting down I bet there's a dead fuse inside.

How many volt driver is that 12, 24,36 volts?
Did you do a meter check to see if you had output voltage.
Could be the diodes also
I will have to look, at work right now. I figured if some of the LEDs failed, unlikely, at least some would work. Power supply is usually very warm, it was stone cold.

Bubba

iS IT A mARS DRIVER OR MEANWELL?
Unlikely, but from other electronic hobby, (building class A amplifiers) that some are better than others and they can fail.

Sometimes there is an internal fuse not meant for consumer replacement. It failed during the night, I didn't detect any smell, but fan had been running whole time. No blackened area. It's the only thing that could fail that would prevent light from lighting. Unless, one led failed and it's like old school Christmas tree lights, if one goes they all go. It has 6 removable bars, I haven't had time to try it with just 2 or so of them installed, but pretty sure it's the power supply ...again, what else? Doubt the switch failed.

Bubba

I wonder if Mars built in a thermal overload switch?
I have seen things heat up, not work and poof the switch kicks back in and it works again
Does your room or tent run very hot?
It does, 77 to 88 (hottest part of summer). When I checked this AM, it was off and stone cold. Normally runs a couple more hours before shut down.

Bubba

Unlikely, but from other electronic hobby, (building class A amplifiers) that some are better than others and they can fail.

Sometimes there is an internal fuse not meant for consumer replacement. It failed during the night, I didn't detect any smell, but fan had been running whole time. No blackened area. It's the only thing that could fail that would prevent light from lighting. Unless, one led failed and it's like old school Christmas tree lights, if one goes they all go. It has 6 removable bars, I haven't had time to try it with just 2 or so of them installed, but pretty sure it's the power supply ...again, what else? Doubt the switch failed.

Bubba
OK coolio
If it is under warranty Mars should help get it fixed Good Luck brother

I will have to look, at work right now. I figured if some of the LEDs failed, unlikely, at least some would work. Power supply is usually very warm, it was stone cold.

Bubba
Yes they fail in sections most times so you do not lose the whole light

Yes they fail in sections most times so you do not lose the whole light
Yup, lost the whole light power supply stone cold, no hum, nothing. I bought it in April, says one year replacement/repair. I don't care, if I have too I will buy another one, rest of light seems fine.

Fortunately, I have extra lights so two SP 3000 units are in there. 4:00 am change out.
Now waiting for response. They have a Facebook presence but I really don't like face book.

Bubba

Well, I guess I am getting somewhere. They had me disassemble the waterproof joints to take a pic of them. Now they want a video of the problem. Really, a video of the light not working? Fook them, they got all they are getting. I have bought a couple grand of lights from them over the past couple years they can either make good or I am going on a tirade everywhere I can.

I know it is the cheap azz power supply they used. My other Mars SP 3000, all three use the meanwell power supply. Meanwell is the best in this type of power supply, and more expensive. Cheap fookers. "dont worry" they say. "we are closed for weekend, dont worry" yes my grow is 2 weeks from finishing, go suck it MH!

Less than a year old, dead. "dont worry" my azz.

Bubba

Well, I guess I am getting somewhere. They had me disassemble the waterproof joints to take a pic of them. Now they want a video of the problem. Really, a video of the light not working? Fook them, they got all they are getting. I have bought a couple grand of lights from them over the past couple years they can either make good or I am going on a tirade everywhere I can.

I know it is the cheap azz power supply they used. My other Mars SP 3000, all three use the meanwell power supply. Meanwell is the best in this type of power supply, and more expensive. Cheap fookers. "dont worry" they say. "we are closed for weekend, dont worry" yes my grow is 2 weeks from finishing, go suck it MH!

Less than a year old, dead. "dont worry" my azz.

Bubba
My 1st band last Mars Hydro was model 1600Mars II Blurple Leds, Light bburnt out 1st 6 months asked about getting it fixed and at the time no one was repairing them in the US, and they wanted me to ship back to Chyna with me paying shipping. They later contacted me to say they could send me some new diodes if I could install them.
Built my own lights after that.

Latest posts

Back