tried, tested and true.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hick, thank you for your understanding here dealing with a stubborn mule such as myself. i am a little bull headed sometimes and have stated before that i am a bit of a devils advocate but fully enjoy a good discussion without arguments.
I don't have "MY" results/studies, because I quit it over two decades ago. I quit it because I proved to myself it was NOT beneficial, did NOT improve potency, yeild, vigor, flowering, nor anything else. It actually stunts growth and forces the plants to form more leaves to provide for sufficient photosynthesis...
thanks for this as well. i understand that having results for studies that long ago is absurd and i want to say i was not aiming the SHOW me the proof attitude at you directly i was putting it out there in hopes that someone has the records for the study. i believe everyone here that states they have tried it and dont doubt what they say but i also once a long time ago had a fella tell me that there was this type of marijuana plant that flowered under almost any light cycle as long as it was longer than 12/12 because a regular flowering cycle would ruin the plant. can you believe it!!! i think he called it an autoflowering something or other lol. it was very hard to believe that guy 12 years ago but it aint so hard to now. i dont know where im going with this so im gonna stop lol.

LF, you dont need to leave the thread alone. i fully appreciate everything you got to say. i just thought maybe you were a bit tuff on kal with things like...
I'm always open to new ideas...ecxpt butchering my plants...been there done that...and if your getting 10g per plant then I would call it more of a mud puddle of green...lol...not a sea...
. now that person put all they had into growing what they got and you come along and make it sound like they should almost be ashamed of their grow :(. i personally dont care if you got a 2 plant micro grow going or 25 3 pound plants finishing i am gonna be happy for you and try to raise your spirits a bit especially if you somehow increased your yield by 50%. i know you meant no harm(i hope) with these words but like i said before some people dont have thick skin :). and this
I wish you all the luck buddy...my theory is allready prooven...when your ready to proove yours I'll listen with open ears!
... he was trying to tell you but i dont think the ears were open very far. also if you have any records of your studies they would be greatly beneficial to this thread as well as greatly appreciated.

duck...
After so much scientific data is accumulated supporting the idea, it just becomes fact. Without the need to supply data each time the subject is discussed.
this is the problem, i am not sure if there is enough data and recorded testing in this thread to prove anything one way or the other. i want to see the results in front of me from any and all theories.

i am also without a doubt gonna try pissing on the electric fence unless i see the results with my own eyes.... there was a mythbusters eisode on this and it will not harm you to piss on the fence :) you would think it would but it wont :). edited.... the episode is more about peeing on the third rail of the subway but is basically the same thing sorry.

great discussion i think. thanks to everyone and lets try to keep it cool in here please :). happy growing.

i am not sure if there is enough data and recorded testing in this thread to prove anything one way or the other.

I will quote my previous post.

After so much scientific data is accumulated supporting the idea, it just becomes fact. Without the need to supply data each time the subject is discussed.

well now I gotta go pee on that fence :mad:.. but you can forget that "third rail".. :p

ta2...if you re-read the the thread, I was more than polite until I was told that I needed to read better, and that I was close minded because I disagreed, and didn't show proof of my experiments from 20 yrs ago.

I have no proof... the home computer was the thing of the future when I was doing these experiments...so I'm sorry that I can't offer better proof. I'm not about to do them again to have proof, like Hick said that would be silly of me to sacrifice my grow for something that I have already experienced.

If I came across as tuff on him...well I apologize...maybe my skin isn't thick enough to handle being told I need to read better, or that I'm close minded. All I was trying to tell the guy was that if he had an increase in yeild it was more than likely not from chopping leaves...but if you want to make me into the bad guy...well I'm cool with that. Look back though...I did not bite until bitten. Unless we need to sugar coat everything to make sure we don't hurt anyones feelings...all I said was the truth. I don't see you defending me against his attack on me??? Lol...not that I want or need it...maybe I should just give everyone an atta boy everytime they produce a little bud...I don't want to risk hurting someones feelings with the truth....lol...it's a good thing my teachers aren't here...everyone would be getting called dumb f and other derogitory names....they certainly didn't sugar coat things to protect my thin skin. I didn't think I was out of line...I know I didn't say anything belittleing until it was said to me...and when I said it...it was still facts.

Good luck with your thread.

duck, thanks again. i might have been a little high trying to explain myself. thanks for reexplaining it to me lol. the problem is there is not actual factual recorded data that i can find anywhere on this site to bring to this thread. i can find alot of " i did it, didnt work" and "been there, done that"'s but to find the actual studies is hard, maybe you can find some for me and bring it here? keep hanging around duck, i like your style.

hick, funny as always and thanks. yeah thats me at the fence already, pull up a piece of standing room and fire away lol.

lf, my sincerest apologies to you. i understand now a bit more as to why your response was so uncharacteristic of you. getting told you should read more after the years of experience you have had does not feel good. i have had it happen to me since i showed up at this site as well. you are right, i shoulda read the thread a bit better and again i apologize for my reaction :).

kal el, i hope you are still testing and keeping records. i would like to see more from you on this if you got it.

happy growing.

ta2dguy there has been so many noobs that have picked/cut/ removed there leaves on this site and have asked for help after wards that it is not even funny. Do a search or check the archives.:aok:

But if you insist I will watch as you gather data trying to prove us wrong:aok:
I do not need to destroy my garden to prove something that has been common knowledge for a long time.

i can find alot of " i did it, didnt work"

That is what we have been trying to tell you..it does not work.
You are seeking an answer that is not there because it does not work.

You might want to pick up and read Clarke's "Marijuana Botany". Most of us (that have grown for upteen years) feel like there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. While you may not find "proof" here that picking fan leaves off is bad, it is a biological fact, and there are plenty of scientific studies that show this.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You might want to pick up and read Clarke's "Marijuana Botany". Most of us (that have grown for upteen years) feel like there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. While you may not find "proof" here that picking fan leaves off is bad, it is a biological fact, and there are plenty of scientific studies that show this.
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

That book should be required reading for anyone growing mj.

Most won't because it's not a 'how to' book and can get a bit technical. OK, a lot technical.;)

Mine is missing the front cover from so much use and it is my most refered to book by a long shot even after 25+ years.

DD

I agree it should be mandatory...and to me it is a how to book. If you don't understand how the plant grows, works, functions, etc...you will not understand why you need certain things certain ways...lol...does that make sense?

I think most don't even want to read a book...lol...they want to throw a seed in dirt, add water and smoke it.

legalize_freedom said:
I agree it should be mandatory...and to me it is a how to book. If you don't understand how the plant grows, works, functions, etc...you will not understand why you need certain things certain ways...lol...does that make sense?

I think most don't even want to read a book...lol...they want to throw a seed in dirt, add water and smoke it.

Well, yes. It is a how to book, you just have to read between the lines to get the how to part. Or, by understanding, like you said, how the plant grows, works and functions.

LOL ... Yeah, most would rather just throw a seed in the dirt and the ask the same questions that have been asked 100 times a week for step by step instructions, rather than searching, or even reading the stickys that have 99% of all the answers.:rolleyes:

DD

i have read and reread clarkes, ed's, jorges etc. i agree that there should be mandatory books for reading if you are gonna grow mj. i dont need to do any tests and am not trying to reinvent the wheel or weed im just playing around. as the hemp goddess says ....
Most of us (that have grown for upteen years) feel like there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.
... well i am not like most i guess lol. i have a certain gratitude for all the people before me that did the testing and in no way do i try to disrespect their work. i am not a pioneer by any means and dont claim to be anything but a guy trying to find a way to increase his yield/quality a little. i dont think taking fan leaves off early will increase yield but until i do the tests i wont know, i still think there may be a selective pruning method that may help but till i try it...?? lol. i am glad there is alot of experienced attention gathering here, once we all move past the fan leave issue iam sure i will gain all sorts of new knowledge from you guys... and ladies. there are alot of things i want and need to try and honestly the fan leaf issue is not on the top of my list and i dont think i said anywhere that i do believe that removal will increase yields, just stirring up a bit of knowledge :).

i got a question. has anyone grown some plants side by side and using lst on some and none on the rest? clones growing in same medium using same nutes and feeding scedule etc. the only difference being some were tied down and some were not. i would like to go down that road if its ok with everyone :).

happy growing.

I noticed that no noob dared to put his word into this so i shall try. I understand hick, LF, hemp goddess in them thinking that there are basics that everyone should know. Me my self have done allot of research to get to know what i know. and now i am waiting for my things on order. But before i started reading i was as dumb as a brick about growing.

I never took biology or chemistry, We never had the choice to. so allot of these basic common things that you know we do not. you have years of experience on all us newbies. And we all look up to you to give us the advice when we need it and appreciate it very much.

But some of us do have to see things with there own eyes to believe it. Me my self i stuck a seed in a plant pot with one 20w floro after reading non stop that in no way was there enough light. the poor thing stretched for a couple weeks and then gave in n fell over. But i would never dream of even poping another seed until my hps lights are here because i saw that it wouldnt work.

Some people run on blind faith. I mean gees look at any war started by religion. science has been trying to prove that wrong for years but still people dont listen and continue to believe in it.

I'm just saying that it doesn't always work just saying things sometimes people need to be shown. i hope no one minds my input its just that there have been to many fights on this forum recently.

Happy Growing all.

im actualy doing that right now lol, i took most fan leaves off my BlackJack#2 to let all the branches get direct light to promote that X-mas tree shape and see how it turns out.(mainly because they were all nesty)

i also tied down BJ#1 so it has a more even canopy, and left BJ#3 & 4 alone.
theyre all next to eachother and getting treated the same way.
the links in my signature if you wanna check it out ;)

I don't think anyone is trying to discouraging experimentation, if you wish. But simply avoiding a nube confusing those "experiments" with solid, proven grow information.

i got a question. has anyone grown some plants side by side and using lst on some and none on the rest? clones growing in same medium using same nutes and feeding scedule etc. the only difference being some were tied down and some were not. i would like to go down that road if its ok with everyone .
ALL things the same...
Here's what "I" found. The lst plant will 'usually' yeild slightly more, indoors at least. And the reason can be explained scientifically.
The lst plant recieves more "even" distribution of light over a larger, more even canopy. Allowing for a more uniform production over the entire plant..
You'll get slightly more weight, but no big, main cola, and fewer tiny, wispy, popcorn buds...."IME" ;)

hey jericho, thanks for stopping in. i hope that no one is afraid to post something here.
I'm just saying that it doesn't always work just saying things sometimes people need to be shown. i hope no one minds my input its just that there have been to many fights on this forum recently.
.... there is no fight here and i figure there wont be. fights(and not just here) usually start when someone NEEDS to be right and tries to force their opinion and ways on someone else.i like to think this would be the place we all are sitting down in comfy chairs, smoking a fatty of our own grown pride and joy (sharing of course) discussing our different views on things. no forced opinions, no drama and faces to read instead of words. i give you credit for taking a step in :).... gonna step up to the electric fence too :).

killu, thanks for coming by with some input. i have not gone through all of your signatures grows yet but will as soon as i am done this post. i wanna see how that christmas tree look turns out.

hick, i appreciate your knowledge and ability to express it. thanks for your input and help with this thread.
Here's what "I" found. The lst plant will 'usually' yeild slightly more, indoors at least. And the reason can be explained scientifically.
The lst plant recieves more "even" distribution of light over a larger, more even canopy. Allowing for a more uniform production over the entire plant..
You'll get slightly more weight, but no big, main cola, and fewer tiny, wispy, popcorn buds...."IME"
.... also my experience, and i mean exactly the same opinion based on my own experiments. i have no records or data or pics right now but will after i do it again. i am not gonna try to prove anything right or wrong out of this i am just going to do it so i can have records for my own use later. it would be nice to know an average increase over a set number of plants and it would be nice to do a test on outdoor plants as well.

happy growing.

is anyone shocked that a bunch of potheads dont have hard data to support their experiments,

:rofl: :rofl:

is anyone shocked that a bunch of potheads dont have hard data to support their experiments,
.... no dman i am not.

chef, thanks. sometimes a few pics helps out alot. congrats on the mvp as well. a well deserved position for ya chef.

i say that pictures of anything we discuss here would be awesome cuz i am the kinda person that believes in half of what he sees, and none of what he hears lol. the other half i do believe in are the things i have tried. :). all input and discussions are appreciated. thanks.

happy growing.

dman1234 said:

:rofl: :rofl:

Clarke's "Marijuana Botany"

This is hard data ^^^^^^^^^^:doh:

Latest posts

Back