? True of False about seeds ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Different in seeds.? True or False

Male seeds has a creator like on the side.

Hermie seeds are Black or dark brown with small strips. which could be males too.

Female seeds have ziggy strip on them and are light in color & round.

Ok I found that all my 8 jack heres seeds that I planted became male and looking at my other jack seeds there all dark brown with little little hard to see strips.

My N.L. & P.P. strain has become females and looking at those seed I found that I have a lot more light brown seeds with dark strips and I see in the some with little strips. 11 female

I know the only way to find out if you have a females is when the white hairs pop out it just I lost everyone of my Jacks do to being male, and I have about 10 more seeds and hate to waste time on them if there going to be the same males. I am more think of going to grow 2 or 3 outside and see what happens..

Any insight on this.??

IME of 20+years of growing you can not tell any thing about the plant that will grow from a seed by the way it looks

ozzydiodude said:
IME of 20+years of growing you can not tell any thing about the plant that will grow from a seed by the way it looks

Crap that is to bad.!:eek:
I am going to restart 5 more of my Jack Heres seeds this weekend and see what they turn out to be.. They are brown with little strips and round.
Hit or Miss when it time for sexing..

I have not been using any seeds that have a creator like one side and only use the ones that Rolls real Good..

Hello Flying :)

Are you saying some of your seeds have a flat side to them?

:peace:

1 of the best plants I ever grew was from a green inmature seed that i did not even think would sprout.

A seed is neither Male nor female but environmental conditions can have a huge effect. If you will germinate your seeds between 70-80 degrees you will have a better ratio of females. Warmer temperatures tend to produce more male plants.

ozzydiodude said:

:yeahthat: We would all love it if we could determine sex or whether a seed would hermie by its appearance, but you simply cannot.

As subcool mentioned, however, sex is NOT predetermined and there are environmental conditions that are believed to give you more females. Here is a little more on the subject: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21546

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Flying :)

Are you saying some of your seeds have a flat side to them?

:peace:

Something like that Hippy but it more of a dip, and it don't roll right.
I know that it Not cracked or anything like that and they will sprout.

The Hemp Goddess said:

when germ. the seeds ones can't determine the sex, Ok understand that.

Now I am confuse on this one, (5.) Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male plants.

That was at the bottom of the 1 page before part 2

Since I have my lights on for 18 hr is that why I end up tossing out 1/2 on my grow because they became male..

It all about taking a chance to see what yea get..;)

ozzydiodude said:

I second that statement....20+ yrs also

subcool said:
A seed is neither Male nor female but environmental conditions can have a huge effect. If you will germinate your seeds between 70-80 degrees you will have a better ratio of females. Warmer temperatures tend to produce more male plants.

Can you point me to a scientific reference for this? I do realise that this applies to some types of plant - for instance the liverwort - but I can find no references to it online.
How does feminised seed consistently germinate and produce female plants, despite being germinated under a wide range of temperatures? All my own produced fem seed turned out fem.

Latest posts

Back