Two Problems I can't Find a Solution to...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenisGrand

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
This is just my first post here, and my second grow so I'm still learning a lot.
I've got two problems, I've read a lot of the stickies and links here which were helpful in finding the cause but I'm still in need of a solution.

First, three of my plants are starting to have cupped leaves on a few branches and they look bad (I'm guessing this isn't good for the plant, and not just a bad appearance, thats why I'm posting.)
I've read this is caused by bad pH levels leading to the plant dehydrating to compensate, causing the cupping of leaves. Is this correct?
My problem is I've tried lowering my pH for a while, I've used advanced nutrients pH Down when I water, and that never helped compensate, and now I'm using Espom soil acidifier, it's sulfur and gypsum based. its the type of product spread on top of the soil and then watered.
I checked the ph the next day and most of them had improved to below 7, but now a few days later the pH is back up above 7!!
What should I use to lower the pH, or how can I make the pH Down work if this soil acidifier won't work?

My second issue is localized to one or two plants, but it looks like something is munching on a leaf or two, and it looks like it's progressing day to day but I look and I can't seem to find any insects, even with a 30x microscope. I'll include a picture. As a quick fix I stuck a Hot Shot pest strip in the room for 4 days which I know isn't the best answer but I'm not sure what to do quite yet.

All help is appreciated.
- G.G.

IMGP3914.jpg

IMGP3883.jpg

Are you using the water right out of the tap? You need to let is set for atleast 24 hours prior to use for the chlorine to evaporate. Then run your ph meter through it. If pH is still too high, then use the pH down. You really shouldn't have too much of an issue with pH. If it's still becoming an issue, I'd go buy a few gallons of distilled water and pH it. If it's then, still an issue, your issue's probably in your medium. Try adding some of the epsom to the soil and watering. I don't have much knowledge of pH'ing soil, as it's my understanding that most soils are pH ready out of the bag, but it would seem to me adding the acidic properties directly to the soil, they should be absorbed by it.

Ph is definitely a problem if it is at or above 7.0. What kind of soil are you in? How much soil(in pots or open grouind)? Have you checked the ph of the water before adding it to the soil? Are you feeding them with specific nute formula or adding soil amendments? Depending on the answer to the soil and water, it may take a bit to straighten out the ph.

Yeah can you go through your routine for us as far as preparing your water and feed? My tap water is a ph of 7.9-8.1....I use a little bit of GH ph down and it will hold at 6.5. What are you using to check your ph levels? I keep everything at 6.5 and it is usually smooth sailing. It doesn't make sense that a ph down product can't keep your tap water ph'd properly...

My watering routine is I'll fill up the container, pH it with a meter (it could be a bad meter so I'm purchasing a newer one very soon). If it's too high which is usually is, I'll lower it just a little to around 6.5. The ph down works fine, it'll hold there, but when I check the soil pH is where the problem lies. They're only a few weeks old so I haven't had to give them any nutrient feeds yet assuming the soil has enough to last a little while. They're in fox farm ocean forest soil in pots. I've got fox farm nutrients as well (although once i'm out i may switch to another brand), but they're only a few weeks old so i haven't had to give them any nutrients, and at this point I'd fear burning them with any more nutes.
I thought that by lowering the water pH, when I try to fix the pH i'd lower it below 6.5 to compensate, right? but it doesn't seem to work, the espom acidifier is gradual release so it may take a few waterings but i don't really have time to waste since this is slowing their growth and possibly hurting them.
Does this help you guys help me at all? If you need any more info just ask.

they are in direct light, hmm that could be it.. because it's not even that many branches per plant. but i figured their growth has slowed so it had to be either the light is too small (400watt) or the pH is locking up nutrients. If its bad pH won't it really start to show as a burn soon or something worse than leaves cupping?
Thanks guys

Yeah I agree with Puffin, the leaves in the pics looked quite healthy. As far as PH'ing yer water,(It has been my experience) If the water is RO or has a very low TDS then the PH will bounce like a rubber ball. If the soil ph is too high (at or above 7) then dropping the water to 6.5 may not be enough to bring down the soil PH. (you may have to set the water to 6.0 to see if it pulls down the PH some.)

It's my understanding that the FFOF is very hot for young plants to start out in. A lot of peeps that use that, start by placing the young plants, seeds, cuttings in the FF unnuted soil for the first few weeks, then transplant into the Ocean Forest once they are established. If you can't get the PH down and they start to show PH burning in the next week, you may want to get some neutral soil and transplant them into half neutral and half FFOF and see if they do better.

Ok, I'll definitely follow through if they start to burn. And what does water RO and TDS mean?

I'll be ready to move them into unnuted soil if need be (although i transplanted not too long ago I hope I don't have to again! ha!), but checking up on them today they're looking better, noticeable growth and such, they seemed to slow down for a bit but it looks like they're picking back up., and I'll definitely start to take the pH down some more on the water too.
Thanks for all the help!

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Was out of town for a few days. If they are growing then you are still in the good. Don't try to change things too fast as that can cause you to swing to far in the other direction. You end up chasing the PH around the container. If they are perking up and haven't started burning then you may not have to make any drastic changes.

By the way RO stands for reverse osmosis. Many people have very hard water that has to be filtered in order to be useable in MJ growing. An RO filter is the best for really removing all of the contaminates. The problem with RO water (if you don't realize it) is that it strips the water of almost all mineral content. This makes it hard to get the PH to ballance out.

TDS stands for Total Disolved solids. That is the amount of minerals or chemicals that are disolved in any water. Your tap water will have a certain amount of chemicals or minerals in it. A TDS meter will tell you how much mineral content is there. For peeps in soil who are running organic, TDS is not a big concern, but it is still good to know what is in your water before giving it to the plants as it can have effects that you don't expect if it is very high or very low. Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back