UK: Mellor man admits cannabis cultivation in his van

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A RIBBLE Valley man who was caught growing cannabis in a van outside his home has insisted his motive was to help others.

But the judge at Preston Crown Court advised John Ashworth to apply to the Home office for a licence if he wanted to carry out scientific research.

Ashworth, 46, of Branch Road, Mellor Brook, admitted cultivating cannabis but told the court that other people had been helped by the health benefits from his efforts.

Ashworth was given a 35-week prison sentence suspended for two years, and placed under a two-month home curfew between 9pm and 6am.

He was also ordered to do 150 hours unpaid work for the community.

Judge Norman Wright told him: "You must understand that what you have done is against the law.”

Patrick Ryan, prosecuting, said 35 plants were being grown in a Mercedes van outside the defendant's home. The police visited in March this year.

He told the court: "The crown accept it was not a sophisticated operation. About half of the plants were maturing."

Ashworth had several drug related convictions. Back in 1996 he was jailed by Burnley Crown Court for cultivating cannabis and possessing cannabis.

The defendant, who represented himself, said he had studied chemistry and biology and he had originally set out to grow and distribute herbs, to show young people that ecstasy was not the "right way".

He went on to explain how he had started experimenting with oil based herbs, by breaking them down.

"Previously I had half a dozen elderly people who took this stuff in olive oil. I know it can help people," he said.

"I know what I am doing is important and so do the elderly, or other people who try this stuff in olive oil."

The judge told Ashworth in passing sentence "You must understand that whatever you feel about what should be lawful we exist in a democratic society where Parliament has decided that growing cannabis is a criminal offence.

"If you want to engage in some form of scientfic research, you can apply to the Home Office for a licence.

"Whether they will grant you one is another matter.

"It's the right way to go about it, not for you to do open experimentation in your own premises.”

hxxp://tinyurl.com/64fxs8

He can't do that anyways. The US Government holds a patent on cannabis for medicine. He's SOL.

FruityBud said:
But the judge at Preston Crown Court advised John Ashworth to apply to the Home office for a licence if he wanted to carry out scientific research.

Hey man thanks for adding this one... its in the UK right? I didn't think you could get a licence for it over here?

Thorn said:
Hey man thanks for adding this one... its in the UK right? I didn't think you could get a licence for it over here?

Yes its in the UK, no we dont have licences, the Judge is taking the Pizz.

The defendant, who represented himself, said he had studied chemistry and biology and he had originally set out to grow and distribute herbs, to show young people that ecstasy was not the "right way".

He went on to explain how he had started experimenting with oil based herbs, by breaking them down.

"Previously I had half a dozen elderly people who took this stuff in olive oil. I know it can help people," he said.

"I know what I am doing is important and so do the elderly, or other people who try this stuff in olive oil."

Judge ... "If you want to engage in some form of scientfic research, you can apply to the Home Office for a licence.

"Whether they will grant you one is another matter.

"It's the right way to go about it, not for you to do open experimentation in your own premises.”

thanks hippy. I wish we did, I really do. I wish I could talk to my doctor at how much I believe MJ helps me and my mood etc

You can get a licence to do research in the UK. Have a look here

hxxp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4460491.stm

Go down to the secret field paragraph.

i still cant really picture this, a mercedes van? was he running an extension cord to the van? was it parked inside the garage or outside the house? how big is a mercedes van? the ones in the US are as big as an midsize suv.. i really dont cant picture this one.. lol..:confused: :confused: :confused:

well :bong2: :bong2: :bong2: :ciao:

Lol. Pretty funny I think. Very interesting story. Thanks Fruity Bud. Take care and be safe.

35 weeks time, for 35 plants... Not a bad break considering that others are doing years for less.

a mercedes van can be many a sizes

Latest posts

Back