Up in the pines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushBlower12

Smoke em' if ya got em'
Reaction score
hey there everyone. Ive been scoping out a few spots for some guerilla growing up in the mountains. The elevation is about 7000 ft and there are lots of pines everywhere. The soil up at my location is frickin gorgeous, nice healthy dark soil... the only thing is the ground has a layer of needles. Ive heard from a local indian that the needles can make the soil too acidic and that they suck out oxygen from the soil. Can anyone attest to this? If I clear off the needles from the growing area will that be sufficient?

I planted about ten in one spot 2 weeks ago and then went back to check on them last week. They were all looking happy, some already showed about 2 inches of growth, but Im just worried about further into the season. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

i was just confronted wit a similar issue involvin my lawn/grass growin under my opines i got in my yard and im sure same laws apply . but i found this.
maybe it'll help sum?

hxxp://lawncare.about.com/od/faq/f/grassunderpines.htmQuestion: Grass doesn't seem to grow under my pine trees. What can I do?
Growing grass under pine trees can be difficult. So much so that it may be more desirable to create a mulch bed for ease of maintenance and a clean look.

Answer:
The easy answer is just don't grow grass there. Grass doesn't like to grow under pine trees, so why force it. The soil is acidic, it can be messy, there is little sunlight and competition for water is intense. Create a bed of mulch or pine straw preferably to the drip line of the tree. It looks good and saves the battle of trying to grow grass where nature insists otherwise.

If you must have grass under your pine trees there are some measures that can be taken to achieve success.

•Clean the area of needles and debris
•Apply lime to decrease the acidity of the soil
•Remove all tree limbs below ten feet
•Prune/thin the upper limbs to increase available sunlight
•Use fescue seed for it's shade tolerance. In the southern zone, zoysia, bermuda and centipede grasses have been known to do well under pine trees.
Growing grass under pine trees is no easy task and will require constant attention. Subsequent applications of lime will need to be put down. Needles will continuously need to be cleaned up. Additional watering may also be needed due to competition from tree roots.

KushBlower12 said:
Ive heard from a local indian... !

Damn "Chief Runs With Kush", you must be out in the sticks if you are talking with Indians. I assume you mean the feather kind and not the red dot kind :)

One thing to do is test it. Just take a bunch of pine needles and put them in a bucket. Fill a glass with water and measure the ph, dump the water in with the needles, come back later and measure the ph of the water again and see if there has been an affect.

hey NYC you an insomniac too? lol i just noticed you been on here almost consisten for damn near 24 hrs as well as myself. lol.
i stay up for days in a row an sleep for few hours an repeat. i need the serious couch lok bud to bring me down. lol

idk bout where u all from but in some places they prefer term native american. some cultures take offense to the term indian now days. i guess maybe one them politically correct things.

Typically I make the mistake of leaving the browser open. But yea I have a messed up line of work so a lot of times I end up being online for anywhere from 12-24 hours straight. I feel like my body works on a 36 hour day where I am awake for 24 hours then I sleep for 12.

lol bout where im at too. 36/12 is my lighting schedule:rofl:
i leave my browser open alot and forget im logged into mp here an bout after 10-15 minutes it seems to log me out automatically afetr bein idle 10-15 min's. or is that a setting somewhere i aint seen yet lol

zipflip said:
idk bout where u all from but in some places they prefer term native american. some cultures take offense to the term indian now days. i guess maybe one them politically correct things.

The term "Native American" is becoming something of point of contention as well, because the people where here before it was "America". My mothers family ( they are of the Penobscot band of possamiqoudy) refer to themselves as "indiginous peoples", Go figure.
The reason they were call "Indians " in the first place is becuase Columbus was looking for a short cut to India they should just considder themselves lucky he was'nt looking for a short cut to Turkey!:D

maybe im slow this mornin but i dont get the turkey part. lol.
wat would he ahve called em then is wat im wonderin?

zipflip said:
maybe im slow this mornin but i dont get the turkey part. lol.
wat would he ahve called em then is wat im wonderin?

Colubus was looking for India so natives became known as Indians,but if he had been looking for Turkey they would have been called Turkeys;)
Instead of being called American Indians they would be called American Turkeys;)

ok i get it now. im havin a dense morning today lol
and just in case anyone native american on here i aint prejudice nor was i acting prejudice.

No problem! Just stand in front of that big tree over there and watch me throw my tomahawk around you. It's fun!!

I live smack dab in the middle of a pine and fir forest. Growers have been comming here since the seventies and seriously growing the heck out of Sensimilla. I am pretty sure the soil is not amended by the more, how shall I put it, the more intensive/massive growers.
What those growers must watch out for is the DEA, local Sherrif and Gun totin Forest Service Agents. I dont think they think much about PH. Growing near to a water shed will give good mulch and shade for your plants. Take a lesson from them, they grew two inches you say. (dont forget to never come to your grow the same way always and make a trail to it. Some even put duct tape on their shoes so if caught the evidence is lacking for foot prints)
As for American Indian/Indiginous People, I married one, I call him Red Man, he hasn't a clue about sun block.

420benny said:
No problem! Just stand in front of that big tree over there and watch me throw my tomahawk around you. It's fun!!

yikes. idk botuthrowin toms at me bro. lol i might flinch or even worse you might flinch while throwin an hit me lol.:D

Latest posts

Back