Using flourescents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunundrum.4343

Reaction score
Hope someone out there can help!!! Right now I am using two four foot 40 watt flours and am unhappy with results. Thought I would add a 105 watt CFL - do you think this would help the process along.

Thanks for any assistance you can give

cunundrum.4343 said:
Hope someone out there can help!!! Right now I am using two four foot 40 watt flours and am unhappy with results. Thought I would add a 105 watt CFL - do you think this would help the process along.

Thanks for any assistance you can give
How many lumens are the lights you are using all together?

cunundrum.4343 said:
They are Agro Brite 40 watt, 2325 lumens, 6500 K
Well what it comes down to is lumens per square foot. You need a minimum of 3,000 lumens per square foot of grow space but most try for 5,000 lumens. This will give you the right amount of light to grow some nice tight buds. The less lumens you have the lighter your buds will be. ;)

So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying to go ahead with a 105 watt CFL and that will help my problem???

Thanks for your help.

cunundrum.4343 said:
So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying to go ahead with a 105 watt CFL and that will help my problem???

Thanks for your help.
Yes it will help out some.

Help out some is not very encouraging. What would you suggest. I really do not want to use anything but fluors if I can help it - money, heat, etc.

Hey check out my post under growing w/ Fluors. Lots of good help on this site I too am new and experimenting with flros and do not want to use compact either. I figured for my space of 2'W X 6'L = 12 sq. ft. I will need a total of 48000 lumens that comes out to 4000 lumes a sq. ft. I can accomplish this by 10 4' fixtures with a total of 20 bulbs. This is in the area of 850 watts. Go to you local Wallyworld and buy the fixtures for 8 bucks each total $80.00 plus the bulb cost!

Thanks for the info - I will check out the site - couple of things though - I do not mind using cfl's - that's not the problem - however, when it comes to anything with wiring, I am a complete idiot - no sense for it. But any help you can give is much appreciated.

I'm in the same boat you are cunundrum, poor, very little space, very little ventilation and definitely not an electricion. I hope there's some more input in this topic because I could use the same answers. The difference is I'm going to need ~9 26wat fluoro's.. cfl's, the small ones, 6500k, cool whites, which come in 2 packs for 6.44$ at walmart.... I havn't looked at the longer lights, but to me it seems like those would be more difficult to set up.... not to mention what caseyjones suggested would run waaaaaay over budget for me.

FloydBanks said:
I'm in the same boat you are cunundrum, poor, very little space, very little ventilation and definitely not an electricion. I hope there's some more input in this topic because I could use the same answers. The difference is I'm going to need ~9 26wat fluoro's.. cfl's, the small ones, 6500k, cool whites, which come in 2 packs for 6.44$ at walmart.... I havn't looked at the longer lights, but to me it seems like those would be more difficult to set up.... not to mention what caseyjones suggested would run waaaaaay over budget for me.

You can grow seedlings out of the dirt fairly easily with some light and an open space. However, if you want the seedlings to grow into plants that produce decent bud you will need proper light and proper ventilation. This means 3,000 - 5,000 lumens per sq foot of light. The good thing is you can start out and add to it as you go along. For right now you are on the right track.

By the way Caseyjones, what don't you like about your plants? How many are you putting under those lights? I have my plants under 6,500k T12 tubes and they are looking very healthy.

CaseyJones said:
Hey check out my post under growing w/ Fluors. Lots of good help on this site I too am new and experimenting with flros and do not want to use compact either. I figured for my space of 2'W X 6'L = 12 sq. ft. I will need a total of 48000 lumens that comes out to 4000 lumes a sq. ft. I can accomplish this by 10 4' fixtures with a total of 20 bulbs. This is in the area of 850 watts. Go to you local Wallyworld and buy the fixtures for 8 bucks each total $80.00 plus the bulb cost!

I agree, I prefer shoplights myself...less heat in close proximity to canopy than when using compacts.

Latest posts

Back