Wally World Light Setup for $40

• Thread starter THE BROTHER'S GRUNT
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to add...

Walmart sells this little star shaped lamp base, made by Sunbeam...rated for 25 watts...which is safe for up to 35 watts...

The thing is only $2.50 or so...the base comes apart super easy, leaving ya with a socket on a cord.

Go over to their hardware isle and you'll see that to assemble your own socket puts ya back $6.

So...don't bother building your own socket...get that star shaped base by Sunbeam and simply take the base off the thing...voila!

44_1_b.jpg

I used two of those star bases, and I ran 4 lights each on them, worked just fine.
The Wal-Mart I got them from no longer carries them though....

So your saying those don't get very hot? Because the bulb is relatively hot and I think the heat rays are penetrating to harsh, but Im not sure. You can have the lights an inch over the plant and they shall be ok? I know it goes by specific details of the plant, but Im just asking generally. Thanks anyone.

SO, lets talk kelvin, would you recoment 6500k for veg/clone/mothers, and what kelvin for flowering/budding? also what cfl brands do like?

leelow said:
SO, lets talk kelvin, would you recoment 6500k for veg/clone/mothers, and what kelvin for flowering/budding? also what cfl brands do like?

You want 2200-2400k for flowering....reddish and orange colors/temps

dontknowmuch said:
I can't find any cfl under 2700k anywhere

Neither can I. The 2700 are about as good as the cfl gets.

You can get the same reflector and socket at the dollar store for six bucks, save ya four dollars.

Lowes Is Cheaper I Got The Same Thing But Double For The Samez$ For One Unit At H,d

You Know I Have A Quick Question On Cfl Lights, Now I Have Seen Some 60 And 70 Watts Cfl Lights In Wal-mart. Will These Light Also Work. Are Will I Have To Use The 26 Or 42 Watts Cfl. I Need Help......

JABO 5050 said:
You Know I Have A Quick Question On Cfl Lights, Now I Have Seen Some 60 And 70 Watts Cfl Lights In Wal-mart. Will These Light Also Work. Are Will I Have To Use The 26 Or 42 Watts Cfl. I Need Help......
Lighting is a matter of Lumens per/sq.ft. and spectrum.

IF you use the right spectrum of cfl AND use enough to have the proper amount of lumens per/sq.ft., then yes, those lights will work fine.

By the time you work your way to 5 or 6 thousand lumens per/sq.ft. of plant canopy, you'll have spent as much or more than an equal amount of HPS lighting.

That said, why would you bother with any less than HPS lighting?

The cfls are handy for clones and seedlings, but for a full grow, it's just not as good or any cost savings from an HPS.

Good luck man!

Hey grunt, do those light fixtures come with chains to hang them or some kind of wire rope? I ask because I am going to use this build for my first run at growing and I want to make sure the lights can be adjusted as the plants start to grow.

Thanks!

pussum said:
Hey grunt, do those light fixtures come with chains to hang them or some kind of wire rope? I ask because I am going to use this build for my first run at growing and I want to make sure the lights can be adjusted as the plants start to grow.

Thanks!
They come with clamps that you have to remove. You have to get yourself some chain at the hardware store. ;)

dang,im gonna get my girl 1 of those,shes got a little plastic covered,2 shelf deal and that would be perfect.thanks brothers grunt

i built one just today, only with daylight 26 watt cfl's in the reflector for veggin :>

im using 3 42 cfls from wal-mart flowering nicely for my autos but its my 1st time indoors so i dont know but all good for me so far

hey. I have a few ??? I'm running 6 -27 watt daylight 65ook That is good for veg . Right. Is it ok or a bad idea to use both warm white and daylight. If that is possible can i use both from start to finish.

I'm using 6- 27 watt daybright . I have a understanding that daybright is good for veg. Is it possible to use them all the way. I want to use both warm white and the daybright. If you can please help.

i saw a magazine, that had lamp sockets hard mounted to a piece of panel board, and simple series wiring to each socket, with a 3 prong plug attached to end, the board had 8 sockets that held 2 bulbs each, for a total of 16, the back side of the board had hooks on it, so it could be hung from chains

thats nice, been wondering where to get some CFLs for some side lighting :hubba:

Latest posts

Back